Peter Murphy - Completely charming!

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

lsinger9404

Peter Murphy - Completely charming!

Post by lsinger9404 »

Wow...I listened to the Peter Murphy interview and he was so charming and captivating. not something you'd expect from someone singing in a monotone "Bela Lugosi's Dead...i'm dead, i'm dead, i'm dead!" I've heard some great ones...but this was one of the best interviews!

Larry
MicheBel

Peter Murphy!

Post by MicheBel »

Wow. Amazing how different people's perspectives was different.

I enjoyed his interview, certainly wouldn't consider it "one of the best ever" though. In fact, the "singing" really bugged me, since it was so stop and start. But I guess we're spoiled on artists coming in there and knocking it out of the park. It just seemed creaky to me. (And I heard it twice!)

(He is great in concert, though!)

--Miche
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
lsinger9404

Post by lsinger9404 »

Tomato...tomatoe

Potato....potatoe

Larry....Larry
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

Larry:

I actually thought that he was sweet. Talking about Sid and Malcolm and buying a horsie in Turkey...he seemed like a nice guy......

Have you ever heard Bauhaus' cover of Ziggy??? It's pretty damn good...
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
lsinger9404

Post by lsinger9404 »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:Larry:

Have you ever heard Bauhaus' cover of Ziggy??? It's pretty damn good...
Of course...that's standard issue Bauhaus!

and their cover of "Telegram Sam".

Speaking of covers...Peter Murphy did punk rock karaoke at Blues...for the encore, a roadie came out and taped sheets of paper on the ground in front of Peter's microphone. Then we heard the familiar bassline from "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?"...ermm....ummm...I mean that Royal Carribean Commercial....ermmm....ummm...ah...I mean Iggy's "Lust For Life".
gidgetgoestohell

LOL...I forget sometimes that I am not the only one that has been around awhile, forgive me for the insult...LOL

I couldn't believe that they used that song in that commercial! My brother is 10 years older than me, and he thought it was cool. I, on the other hand, was like, have those people over there heard the rest of the song? I love Lust for Life, but it's funnier than shit that they took the title and didn't listen to the song OR the feeling behind it....
Gidge

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Sorry, never got back to yo Larry. Yes my etiqute stinks. If you can send me would be very coo. Thanks.
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe
lsinger9404

Post by lsinger9404 »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:I love Lust for Life, but it's funnier than shit that they took the title and didn't listen to the song OR the feeling behind it....
That's like when Reagan wanted to use "Born In The U.S.A" for his election campaign...

or like when couples have a slow song as "our song" cause it sounds like a romantic song..but it's actually a break up song.

Oh...and to tell you the truth, I went on a Royal Carribean cruise, and while there were all these old fogies with their walkers all over the place, it was nice to be able to go in to the room and turn on the ship's station and hear the bass linje and Iggy start singing.

That Iggy, while he may not have sold Michael Jackson-like numbers of records, he's a marketing genius. His music has been used in so many commercials and movies, it's astounding. more power to him. he earned it. And it's not like having to listen to Spice Girls or Backstreet Boys...it's freakin' Iggy.

I felt the same way with "Mountain Song" being used for a car commercial. When commercials come on I tend to turn off the sound...but when that came on I turned it up!

Now that Lenny Kravitz commercial was o.k...until I heard it 800 times a day. I was stuck in the hospital that summer, and TV was my only solace...and that commercial came on every break...sometimes twice.

Larry
gidgetgoestohell

My son is a HUGE Clash fan (he's still bitter that I saw them with the who back in '82) and he just about implodes when that Pontiac commercial comes on playing Should I stay or should I go....I don't quite get it either, to be honest...but I guess that the people that do the advertising are older now and it's a reflection on my generation's music...or at least that's what I tell myself....

I was reading something somewhere...I think it was one of the original members of the Damned who went on to play with Stiv Bators in Lords of the New Church...anyway....they toured with Iggy and he said that Iguardo was very calculating with his music...and how or when it would be played....I found the quote interesting....
Gidge

assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Yeah, I don't like hearing the Clash in car commercials either. And I always cringe when that new Diet Pepsi ad with Blitzkrieg Bop comes on. I mean, I'm glad it gets the Ramones more recognition but it just feels odd hearing that. The Caesars and Gorillaz' ads for iPOD sound great, though. Hearing Jerk it Out or Feel Good Inc always makes me feel like dancing when I see those commercials.

-Kevin
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
gidgetgoestohell

I agree....the whole reason behind the music means alot to me...and Ipretty sure that Joe isn't very chuffed with the idea of his work selling cars....or Joey with selling soda...on the other hand, it's pretty amazing that we have come this far that those bands would get the opportunity and exposure from those ads....
Gidge

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I can picture that whore song by The Fleiss being used on condom commercial. I bet they would sell our at the deop of a hat.

Get it droop of a hat.
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe
gidgetgoestohell

Yeah Glenn, pimp daddy-o...at least I got it....LOL
Gidge