Bye Bye Indie

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

RobertKP

Bye Bye Indie

Post by RobertKP »

Hi Gang,
In case you don't know, Indie went off the air last week & became an internet only station. Here is an article that was posted at www.allaccess.com today -

'El Gato' Purrs In L.A., Indie 103 Web-Only With Rollins
As tipped by ALL ACCESS, ENTRAVISION Alternative KDLD (INDIE 103.1)/LOS ANGELES stopped its "end of format" loop and launched the Regional Mexican "EL GATO" over the weekend. The eclectic Alternative format will still be heard online, but without the regular jocks, although some of the specialty shows will remain.

The parting statement LOOP seemed to blame the PPM for INDIE's demise. "I've seen the ratings and I know we didn't do very well on PPM, but the kind of people who listen to our station are not the kind of people who want to carry around a device to measure what they're doing," Former INDIE MD MARK SOVELL told the DAILY SWARM. "But they are the kind of people who show up to our events in droves. Our signal didn't cover the entire city. We have transmitters in two places -- SANTA MONICA and NEWPORT -- and our signal didn't reach the Valley where the proportion of PPM is very high.

"Take, for instance, the entire area from ECHO PARK to BEVERLY HILLS to WILSHIRE, yet they said we had no listeners there. We know we have core listeners in LOS FELIZ and SILVER LAKE, but we supposedly had zero listeners there ... it is just ridiculous. All stations with eclectic programming don't register well with PPM. PPM is not even certified in Los Angeles. but ARBITRON pushed it through early because they make more money from it.

While it's still unclear as to which of the specilaty show hosts will follow the station to the Web, "None of the primary DJs or music programmers at the station are involved in the website," SOVELL said. "it’s like playing an iPod of the music we left on their computers. [Popular midday show and ex-SEX PISTOL STEVE JONES] "was disappointed, but I don't want to speak for him. I helped him clean out his desk. He said, 'It’s weird, I've never done anything for five years.' His wit is unique. I'm really gonna miss JONESY. KROQ had tried to hire him away in the past, but they would never let him on the air and do what he did at INDIE."

One specialty show host who will be staying on is HENRY ROLLINS. On his blog, ROLLINS asserted that "No one told me a thing" about the station's demise. "Apparently it all came down very quickly, desks were cleared out and people moved on. The station will be online only and my show will still be included. It’s too bad that the station couldn't keep it going. I wrote Engineer X and asked if he could still do the show and he said that he could. He said that there’s no commercials so I can put a lot more music into the show. Since we're no longer on terrestrial radio, I don't have to worry about language in the songs so now I can just pick out music to play and not have to worry about getting the station in trouble.

"So far, I have put three shows together in this new format and I am really liking what I am getting out of it. As much as I will miss being on the radio, there’s something really cool and actually, much closer to what I think is the real idea of the show by doing it online. It’s more of an underground thing that excites me very much. Maybe the show should have always been like this."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm in shape! Round is a shape!
Glenn

Re: Bye Bye Indie

Post by Glenn »

Yeah sucks, I sent a protest e-mail to Entravision. I listen mostly in my car so will need to buy an i-pod finally. Hopefull on the web, they make some podcasts for download.

A bad decision non the less and the new format blows goats!

Best of luck to Shovel & Jonesy & t.k etc if they are looking for new jobs. It's a shame, some of the live gigs they where promoting where really cool. That Pretenders gig was awesome.

I've been thinking about putting a pod cast together myself. Just don'y know how to get the right music without getting in trouble though.

The investor banks who make those ppm's are the same investors whose shows they rate well: i.e not great for indie, although it should be known that it is about the profit for advertiser, not the rating at the end of the day. No matter how you look at it, it's bias and a load of ball & cox. Hopefully advertisers will be wise enough to measure their ROI and not pay purely on this lame ratings system. Nothing to do with me though.

Can't help but think & pray that they change their mind and focus on quality music, ROI for their investors, and a very underserved market rather than this b.s ratings system they own.

Cheers everyone, good to hear from you RobertKP
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe
chriswasanon

Post by chriswasanon »

Its the end of an earhole guys...

CwA!
"It is I, the gorrilla of 3b. Nigel Molesworth".
The Rizen shloemoe

Post by The Rizen shloemoe »

I think it's the end of times!
Having abandoned my search for truth,
I am now looking for a good fantasy.
--Anonymous Internet Sage

...Some men...ya just can't reach...
--The Captain from "Cool Hand Luke"
chriswasanon

Post by chriswasanon »

Why am I not surprised at your saying that Shloe?

Can anybody tell me what ppm is and if I can get hold of Jonesy's last show whether it is worth transcribing?

3 Cheers to Stuart MM for deleting his link to my blog from his! Even though all the time, his blog was top of my links. Go figure...but not too much.

Is that all that is left of us? Robert, Glenn? Where did everyone go to. I know...

FACEBOOK!

Where's that Rotter?

Where's Ch1spa?

Take care dear readers because it may be the beginning of a new deaf aid!

Chriswas
chriswasanon

Post by chriswasanon »

http://www.laweekly.com/2009-01-22/la-v ... music-died

Mark Sovel repost on MySpace yesterday.

It's quite a good read. No, it's a very good read.

Hey Jack, does this mean that this part of the demo will close now seeing as the Station know as Indie 103.1 has gone bye byes?

Chris was Anon
chriswasanon

Post by chriswasanon »

Glenn how's the pod idea shaping up?

Blimey,it must be dead here. Whenever anyone used to mention JACK,or Jack,

Jack would come on the board and say...

"Did someone mention me..."

Or similar...

A Statement:

ChriswasAnon would like to thank StuartMM for restoring the link to my damned obscure demented blog. It is often childishly nonsensical and I do know this but there is also quite a lot of stuff about Jonesy's Jukebox up there along with what Jade astutely called, "the infamous blog." Post its, long long, ago eventual locking up in quarantine and humane destruction for having been found guilty of...folly and original sin.

http://www.chriswasanon.blogspot.com.

Thanks Stuart!!! You've done an amazing job with your blog - whereas C:/mine/ours was/is/chriswas a wing and a prayer of gossip and gibberish flying through the blogosfear on the seat of it's raggedy torn pants!

Apart from when Tina was doing it of course!

Cheers!

CwA!!
jack
Site Admin

Post by jack »

Yea, bye bye Indie ;( And no, I'm not closing this forum down. It will run until the computer takes a dump lol! Servers don't care whether people listen to it or not ;P
ChispaFilthyLucre

Post by ChispaFilthyLucre »

Hola to everyone
I just wanna say Bye bye Indie too and thanks for this years for let me hear the voice of Steve Jones, and now if there is no JJBox there is not indie to me, bye bye indie ....
thanks guys
IF Im hEre iS ThANk to STEVe JoNEs "JONeSyS" FROm sEx PiStoLs
rotter

Post by rotter »

I took a huge shit yesterday and named it "Indie 103.1".
jack
Site Admin

Post by jack »

I'm sorry lol!
The Rizen shloemoe

Post by The Rizen shloemoe »

Funny I took a big shit yesterday and didn't name it anything.
Do you think it can still go to poo heaven?
I gotta not forget to name my poo no more...
I want to make sure all my poos can go to poo heaven.
I'm gonna name my next one "Stinky Von Rotter Poo"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Having abandoned my search for truth,
I am now looking for a good fantasy.
--Anonymous Internet Sage

...Some men...ya just can't reach...
--The Captain from "Cool Hand Luke"