Heard Giant Village was a Giant Drag

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

lsinger9404

Heard Giant Village was a Giant Drag

Post by lsinger9404 »

Bummer...apparently a Black Eyed Pea got cooked and the fire marshall came in and closed the whole thing down.
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

I heard it was going to be rescheduled and it never took place?
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
July Cleaver

Post by July Cleaver »

yup, and on the news they said that tickets were non refundable. Also they said that the fire marshalls never suggested that it be called off - that the organizers made that claim, but that wasn't the case...
...and then at the end of the letter I like to write "P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.-- Mitch Hedberg
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

I've always wanted to go to that, but my best friend's wife won't let him go with me....
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
lsinger9404

Post by lsinger9404 »

July Cleaver wrote:yup, and on the news they said that tickets were non refundable. Also they said that the fire marshalls never suggested that it be called off - that the organizers made that claim, but that wasn't the case...
Don't believe the news:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/tix/122413260.html
July Cleaver

Post by July Cleaver »

good to see!
...and then at the end of the letter I like to write "P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.-- Mitch Hedberg
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Just in:
4 January 2006
Dear GIANT Village Ticket Holders,

Please forgive the delayed follow up. We understand everyone's disappointment and we are very sorry.

The past few days have been the worst of any of our experiences and it has been impossible to put into words all the issues and difficult decisions that we've faced.

We cannot begin express to you how devastated we are that we were not able to host this year's GIANT Village as planned because of the extreme rain. We made what we still believe was the right decision based the determination from the Los Angeles Fire Department that the extreme weather conditions caused a serious concern for public safety.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on Sunday stood by Los Angeles Fire Department officials whose advice the day before helped convince the organizers of a massive New Year's Eve music festival planned for downtown to cancel the event. "I think the fire officials made a determination that they believed was in the interest of public safety, and I don't have any information that that wasn't an appropriate decision," Villaraigosa said Sunday. - Los Angeles Times, Monday, January 2, 2006

Further pushing our decision, which we had to make in heavy rain at 4pm on New Year's Eve, was the news that a stage had collapsed at Paramount Studios in Hollywood at 3pm during the set-up for another large outdoor New Year's Eve Party. The Paramount Studios event subsequently had its permits pulled by the LAFD and was canceled due to the severe weather.

Although the rain subsided in the early evening, the danger of the flooded streets remained and the potential for more rain later in the evening could never be completely ruled out. Considering the commotion of the evening's events, we did our best to notify all media outlets regarding our event's status and posted security to inform everyone who had not received the notices.

In an emotional announcement on the night of the event, we proposed scheduling a make-up show in hopes of salvaging what we believed to be a memorable line-up. After weighing all options for a make up event, we will now be offering ticket holders the choice of a make up event package consisting of multiple club events of greater value featuring talent from the GIANT Village or a full refund for the face value of your tickets.

Our primary concern was and always will be the safety and well being of our patrons, performers and staff. There was absolutely no benefit or upside to us not to host the event, but when weighed against the potential risk to human life, we believe made the best decision we could under the worst of circumstances.

We did not have “Event Cancellation Insurance” to cover our losses. All of the artists were at the venue ready to perform and we had sold more advance tickets through December 30 than any of our previous events. We make money by producing shows, not canceling shows. This is a disastrous financial loss for us.

We'd like to assure you that we always consider the importance of our loyal customers to our business.

We sincerely apologize for your inconvenience.

A belated Happy New Year,

Dave Dean
President, GIANT Los Angeles, Inc.

MAKE UP PACKAGE OR REFUND INFORMATION:

GrooveTickets.com: Anyone who purchased tickets via GrooveTickets.com has received or will receive an email notification.

Virgin Megastores: Virgin Megastores are unable to refund your money at point of purchase. Please email news@giantclub.com with the Subject: “VIRGIN - Information Request” by Thursday, January 12, 2006.

Independent Retail Outlets: Please email news@giantclub.com with the Subject: “INDEPENDENT - Information Request” by Monday, January 9, 2006.

Independent Retails Outlets Include:

Street Sounds
Brat Store
Benway Records
Sound Station
Grooveriders
Sanctuary
Fingerprints
Catwalk
Ipso Facto
Electric Chair
Mileage Clubwear

Other GIANT Village Online Sales: Please contact the ticketing company directly.
~Gooch