Goooocccchhhiiee

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

gidgetgoestohell

Goooocccchhhiiee

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

whatcha doing???
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

At work....going through sympathy letters sent to Otis Chandler, when his dad died. ~tear~
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

whos Otis?
"The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers."

- Doug McKenzie
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

biLzamo wrote:whos Otis?
He just died about a week ago. He was the last family member to run the Los Angeles Times. His dad, Norman, was a hottie.... There's a picture of him somewhere here in a hot dead guys thread that was started.

Otis Chandler
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Otis Chandler (November 23, 1927–February 27, 2006) was best known as the publisher of the Los Angeles Times between 1960 and 1980. His family had owned the newspaper since Harrison Gray Otis founded the company in 1882. He was the son of Norman Chandler, his predecessor as publisher, and Dorothy Buffum Chandler, a patron of the arts and a Regent of the University of California.

Chandler became publisher of the Los Angeles Times in 1960. After stinging criticisms of the quality of reporting at The Times, he quickly increased the budget of the paper allowing it to expand its coverage and the quality of the publication. This coincided with the shift of the paper from a 'conservative rag' to a progressive and outspoken reporter of the events of the day.

He is credited with the rise of the Times to one of the best newspapers in the U.S. David Halberstam wrote in his 1979 book The Powers That Be: "No publisher in America improved a paper so quickly on so grand a scale, took a paper that was marginal in qualities and brought it to excellence as Otis Chandler did." [1]

In 1980, he became chairman of Times Mirror Corporation and wound back his involvement in the running of the company. He handed control to people outside the family in the mid-1980s and became involved in other interests such as the Chandler Vintage Museum of Transportation, which he founded.

In the late 1990s, he became critical of a perceived decline in the Times. He was not involved in negotiations by other members of the Chandler family to the Tribune Company but welcomed the outcome.

He died of Lewy body disease at age 78.
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
gidgetgoestohell

And he might have knocked up The Black Dahlia and he might have hired Benny Segal to kill her.....:D
Gidge

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:And he might have knocked up The Black Dahlia and he might have hired Benny Segal to kill her.....:D
Yeah...but he still was a hottie. He aged VERY well....just like the great Moz is :D
~Gooch

gidgetgoestohell

My boss worked at a firm that represented Otis and his wife....
Gidge

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:My boss worked at a firm that represented Otis and his wife....
The first or the second wife?
~Gooch

gidgetgoestohell

Ahhh...shit...I dunno....it was a civil firm....not family law....
Gidge