Shovel in Today's LA Times

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

Shovel in Today's LA Times

Post by obiwankobe »

Mr. Shovel' digs emerging acts
*Indie 103.1 DJ Mark Sovel got a rock 'n' roll nickname from a Sex Pistol -- and it fits him to a T.

-- Kevin Bronson

For a man whose name has been butchered, Mark Sovel certainly is good-natured.

"For a while I just grudgingly accepted it," says Sovel (that's s{omacronl}-vel) of "Mr. Shovel," the moniker bestowed upon him by "Jonesy's Jukebox" host Steve Jones on Indie 103.1 (KDLD-FM). "Now I'm honored, because I got my nickname from a Sex Pistol. And it's a good rock 'n' roll name."

Sovel, 42, has handled his own Indie 103 show — the Sunday night local music program "Check One ... Two" — with similar aplomb. In 2 1/2 years, Sovel's slot has become a primary port of call for emerging rock bands in Southern California. His platform has helped catapult bands such as She Wants Revenge, Giant Drag, the Like, the Vacation, Monsters Are Waiting and the Submarines to bigger things, while reinforcing his station's reputation as a place where broader tastes supersede commercial interests.

"It's given people another avenue to expose their art," says the station's program director, Michael Steele, "and that is good for the music business and the bands and the radio station."

A partnership with the Viper Room — where "Check One ... Two Mondays" have featured sets from Sovel-picked bands — marks its two-year anniversary Monday night when Gram Rabbit and Porterville perform. "It's very endearing to the local music scene to have the kind of focus that Mark does," says Joe Rinaldi, the Viper Room talent buyer who has seen his own venue adjust its palette in recent years. "We needed to have a wider perception of the kind of music we offer."

For Sovel, it brings satisfaction to his weekly ritual of sorting through boxes full of submitted CDs.

"Every week there's a great surprise," he says. "Every week there's something that makes you say, '... I can't wait to play this on the radio.' "

"Check One ... Two Mondays," the Viper Room, 8852 Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood. 7:30 p.m. Monday. $10. (310) 358-1880.
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
rotter

Post by rotter »

Shovel is cool...a funny cunt! :lol:
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

He was an ass to me at the x-mas party...not sure if being with Miche had anything to do with it...
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
rotter

Post by rotter »

How was he an ass Gooch? :?
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Very smug. He was handing out x-mas cards with Jonesy on them and I asked him if I could have another one and he said no....this is right after he told Miche that he had to get rid of them asap....

However, I must say, TK was a sweetie. Very nice guy. And of course, Dickie was just a doll and even remembered me...*sigh*
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
rotter

Post by rotter »

Should have given Shovel a power wedgie...I would have. :lol:
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

After the whole Dicky thing...I got a message purporting to be from Shovel....he, along with Steele and Dawn, can kiss my big fat green Irish ass.....
Last edited by gidgetgoestohell on Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

He wasn't worth the effort at that point. I hate pompous assholes...
Last edited by Gooch on Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Gooch

gidgetgoestohell

More for Miche...and good riddance.....
Gidge

rotter

Post by rotter »

:lol: .....where is Miche...never comes near here much
gidgetgoestohell

B-A-N-N-E-D
Gidge

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:B-A-N-N-E-D
Is that sung to the Y-M-C-A tune?
~Gooch

gidgetgoestohell

Basically, yes....it's my happiest version.....
Gidge

shloemoe

Post by shloemoe »

Gooch wrote:He wasn't worth the effort at that point. I hate pompous assholes...
Hey!...I'm standing right here! :shock:
Shloemoe has gone. Adieu...Adieu!
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

shloemoe wrote:
Gooch wrote:He wasn't worth the effort at that point. I hate pompous assholes...
Hey!...I'm standing right here! :shock:
Dahlink, I'm talking about a different pompous asshole... :wink:
~Gooch