Syd Barrett RIP

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

RobertKP

Syd Barrett RIP

Post by RobertKP »

Syd Barrett, the troubled genius who co-founded Pink Floyd but spent his last years in reclusive anonymity, has died, a spokeswoman for the band said Tuesday. He was 60.

The spokeswoman — who declined to give her name until the band made an official announcement — confirmed media reports that he had died. She said Barrett died several days ago, but she did not disclose the cause of death. Barrett had suffered from diabetes for many years.

Barrett co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 with Roger Waters, Nick Mason and Rick Wright, and wrote many of the band's early songs. The group's jazz-infused rock made them darlings of the London psychedelic scene, and the 1967 album "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" — largely written by Barrett, who also played guitar — was a commercial and critical hit.

However, Barrett suffered from mental instability, exacerbated by his use of LSD. His behavior grew increasingly erratic, and he left the group in 1968 — five years before the release of Pink Floyd's most popular album, "Dark Side of the Moon." He was replaced by David Gilmour.

Barrett released two solo albums — "The Madcap Laughs" and "Barrett" — but soon withdrew from the music business altogether.

He spent much of the rest of his life living quietly in his hometown of Cambridge, England, where he was a familiar figure, often seen cycling or walking to the corner store.

Despite his brief career, Barrett's fragile, wistful songs influenced many musicians, from David Bowie — who covered the Barrett track "See Emily Play" — to the other members of Pink Floyd, who recorded the album "Wish You Were Here" as a tribute to their troubled bandmate.

The band spokeswoman said a small, private funeral would be held.
I'm in shape! Round is a shape!
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

That's a shame.

I love his stuff. I had no idead what happened to him.

Might break out my Piper at the Gates of dawn out from my vinyl.

Set the controls for the heart of the sun.

RIP.
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

KCRW had a nice Pink Floyd bit this a.m.
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I used to love Neil the hippie (the young ones) cover of The Gnome Song.

From Neils Heavy concept album.

Did anyone ever hear that. Classic stuff.

Bike is also one of my faves.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Syd Barrett Dies At 60
Syd Barrett, original member of Pink Floyd, died July 7 of unknown causes.

Barrett was born Roger Keith Barrett in 1946 in Cambridge, England. Barrett, who gave Pink Floyd their name when he joined in 1967, also wrote most of their earliest material, including their first two singles, "Arnold Layne" and "See Emily Play." He also wrote most of their first album, Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. The band's subsequent success and growing fanbase triggered increasingly bizarre and erratic behavior from Barrett, partially fueled by his experimentation with depressants and LSD. David Gilmour was hired to cover for Barrett on tour, since Barrett rarely played live with the band, choosing instead to meander around the stage and pick up his instrument at random. Barrett was effectively kicked out of the band when Pink Floyd did not pick him up for a show in 1968.

Barrett released little material after leaving Pink Floyd. The Madcap Laughs and Barrett, his two solo records, were largely comprised of material he wrote while still in Pink Floyd. He also performed just a handful of times post-Floyd. He founded a band, called Stars, but left after a poorly-received performance. Barrett wandered into a Pink Floyd recording session at Abbey Road in 1975, while the band was recording "Shine On You Crazy Diamond," a song about Barrett. The band, who hadn't seen him in nearly seven years, reportedly began crying when they recognized him. No one in Pink Floyd recognized Barrett at first, because he had gained weight and shaved off all his hair, including his eyebrows.

Barrett continued to live at his mother's house in Cambridge (where he had moved after Pink Floyd) until his death. He rarely spoke in public, and discontinued contact with the rest of Pink Floyd (though he collected royalties from any Pink Floyd output that included his songs). EMI released compilations of his solo material in 1988 and 1993. The label also released The Best Of Syd Barrett: Wouldn't You Miss Me? in 2001. Barrett influenced many musicians, though his actual career was short. The Damned attempted, unsuccessfully, to bring Barrett out of retirement to produce their second album. Among his many fans include Pete Townshend, David Bowie, Brian Eno, Johnny Marr, the Fleiss, the Flaming Lips and the Jesus And Mary Chain. Barrett has inspired many songs, both by Pink Floyd and other musicians. The Soft Machine, Television Personalities and Robyn Hitchcock have all written songs about the legendary musician. He was 60 years old at the time of his death. While no official cause of death has been released, Barrett suffered from Type II Diabetes. :cry:
Last edited by Glenn on Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rotter

Post by rotter »

Thats too bad really.Didn't like Pink Floyd much but an artist is an artist and a person is valuable so its sad when they pass.
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

I agree, Rotter...and so sad how his life played out....I hope he's resting in peace.....
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
rotter

Post by rotter »

Yeah,I'm sure he is...sad he got messed in the drugs,he could have been a genius without them.I wonder what the cause of his death was? :?
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

They aren't saying...diabetes and cancer have been what I have read....one or the other, that is....
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
chriswasanon

Post by chriswasanon »

I was in an obscure and little known restaurant outside Whithorn (SW. Scotland) last night and in the dining room there were some barometers but mostly clocks hanging on the wall with some lovely wooden cased grandfathers with brass inlayed faces. It reminded me of Pink Floyd and in particular the last three lines of "Bike."

I suppose also because when hallucinogens are ingested they distort time - it seemed to either speedup or go sloooooooooooooooooooooooower when I was tripping.

But here are the lyrics

"I know a room of musical tunes.
Some rhyme, some ching. Most of them are clockwork.
Let's go into the other room and make them work."

It was just 8 o'clock when we sat down to eat and I fully expected these venerable time-pieces to start chiming in a cacophany of horological unison but they apart from the odd chime from one or two, remained silent. Chiz!

I only mention it because I didn't know that Syd has now gone and it seems appropiate :-(

So farewell Syd - genius acid casualty poet of the Floyd. He famously walked out of London to Cambridge barefoot. Some 70 miles I believe.

And Glen neither did I know that Neil "you stupid hippy" had covered "bike." He also sung "hole in my shoe," didn't he?

Cheerio

CwA.
"It is I, the gorrilla of 3b. Nigel Molesworth".
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Nice one Chris but it was The Gnome that Neil covered and very cool at that. Bike is just one of my personal faves.

& Yes he did "hole in my shoe" too.

I was gonna order a vinyl copy of Neils Heavy Concept Album from the u.k but the guy was asking a bit much.

I don't think it was released in the america.
chriswasanon

Post by chriswasanon »

Oh the Gnome - sorry Glen yes Nigel Planer would be excellent on the Gnome song - sorry can't help you there with the Concept album but will ask hereabouts and if I hear anything expect telepathic comms through the unusual channels. I do remember seeing it in vinyl in the shops now - vaguely....

Cheerio!

Cwa
"It is I, the gorrilla of 3b. Nigel Molesworth".
shloemoe

Post by shloemoe »

A toast!!!!!....to the s(i/y)ds!!!!!goodnight me mateys!!!!!
Shloemoe has gone. Adieu...Adieu!
jr

Post by jr »

shloemoe wrote:A toast!!!!!....to the s(i/y)ds!!!!!goodnight me mateys!!!!!
:D :D :D :D
we're back!!
xxx/ooo
12 bellz... YOU DO UNDERSTAND??!!