Indie Roast

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

lsinger9404

Indie Roast

Post by lsinger9404 »

Anyone heading out to Irvine for the Indie Roast?? I'll be there wearing my makeshift Indie Floppy hat.

larry
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

I'm watching the webcast live. Have fun!

-Kevin
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
lsinger9404

Post by lsinger9404 »

I'm so bummed. I set my Shark to capture the choice bands of the day..but I set it to capture the radio rather than the website. So...I've got about 4 hours of crappy KROQ music.

The Killers played what should be 103.1's theme song "Indie Rock and Roll". I've heard Rodney play it on a Rodcast. I guess why Indie doesn't play the fuck out of it is, well...Killers are a "Rodney band". As much as we want to believe Indie plays the stuff first...listening to my Rodcasts have shown me ther fact that we learned from "Mayor..." - that Rodney plays it first. THEN Indie plays it. THEN standard KROQ kills it.
noyou

Rodcasts

Post by noyou »

lsinger9404 wrote:I've heard Rodney play it on a Rodcast.
Is a Rodcast a term you made up, or is there somewhere on the web that we can hear this? Rodney is one weird dude, but he does, without any doubt, have awesome taste in music.

Nermind. I've edited this after I now have read what and where a Rodcast is, and can be found. And thanks so much for making them available. I rarely make an effort to listen to his show, but I love it when I do.
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

"Indie Rock n' Roll" is a terrible song...
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

So how was Motley Crew?

Tommy Lee is my fav.

He's a real bad ass.

I'm taking the piss.
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

I was listening to Kevin and BEan this morning (because there was no Dicky) and they said that Motley Cru was pretty bad, horrible was the word that they used. Foo Fighters were great as were Audio Slave.....
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

I'm with Annie on "Indie Rock & Roll" it sucks!
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Feel the love Tom?
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

I second Larry. I love Indie Rock 'n Roll and feel gypped that it didn't make the album. I suggested it as Indie 1031's official theme song on the boards a few months ago. It's not to late still, Indie!

-Kevin

*sireofwilshire*
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

They didn't put it on the album because it doesn't fit the theme of the album. What that theme is I don't know, but it is definetly a stand alone song. I also think the record company didn't want them to have a song making fun of themselves on their debut
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I thknk that this show was the nail in the coffin for KRPQ with me.

Every time I think of KROQ I keep thinking of Motley Crew.

It's horrible.
gidgetgoestohell

I am not even sure why they were on the bill in the first place. It's not like KROQ ever played them in the first place. Kind of a joke, eh Glenn???
Gidge

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

They must be desperate for new fans to replace their lost ones. So they are bending over, biting the pillow and making Motley Crew a KROQ band.
gidgetgoestohell

ok that was just wrong wrong wrong...on SOOOOOO many levels....know I am going to have a mental picture of Tommy Lee bending over the rest of the day....
Gidge

obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

Kevin & Bean have been trashing Motley Crue since their performance on Saturday. They were horible. The LA Times said people started to leave just after they started playing
-tom

gidgetgoestohell

I heard Pat O'Brien say on K&B yesterday that they were terrible. From what I have heard, nobody in that band even likes on another anymore, so it would be difficult to do a good show if they can't even stand one anther....or you'd think that at least....
Gidge

assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Yeah, good thing they had them headline ahead of other bands like the Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age and the Killers. Good call, KROQ.

I don't know who went or watched from the webcast, but when the boys from Rage (now Audioslave) started playing Bulls on Parade, did anyone else think Zach was going to appear on stage and do a few songs with them? lol I did. I was so disappointed when they went into a new song, and Chris Cornell did his rendition of Sleep Now in the Fire. No offense to Chris, who's a talented musician in his own right, but it's just a different genre of music than he's used to. I didn't really think it fit well with him doing vocals to that song. But Black Hole Sun sounded great acoustic. And I liked the whole band doing Spoonman. I think it's easier for the guys to play Soundgarden songs, then it is for Chris to do Rage songs. By the way, I've never seen Audioslave live. Is it routine for them to do Soundgarden/Rage Against the Machine songs, or was this a special surprise for the Weenie Roast? I know that Velvet Revolver typically plays STP and G 'n' R covers.

-Kevin

*sireofwilshire*
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

When K&B interviewed them they asked the drummer what were his influences and he said he didn't really listen to music. Then he said he listened to "Our Stuff" and another one said that "Our Stuff" sucks. They know they suck at least
-tom

MicheBel

no Influences

Post by MicheBel »

It's pretty sad and pathetic for someone to go on the radio and say "I have no influences." EVERYONE is influenced by something. And to be a musician and not listen to other people's music? What's that about? What a loser.

--Miche
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

I'm sure their influenced by many things, things you snort, smoke, inject or drink
-tom

lsinger9404

Post by lsinger9404 »

Glenn wrote:So how was Motley Crew?

Tommy Lee is my fav.

He's a real bad ass.

I'm taking the piss.
Considering I left after the second fire bomb hit the stage, I can't answer that. I think I saw them leaving their walkers at the side of the stage as they came out, though.
lsinger9404

Post by lsinger9404 »

assholitis wrote:I second Larry. I love Indie Rock 'n Roll and feel gypped that it didn't make the album. I suggested it as Indie 1031's official theme song on the boards a few months ago. It's not to late still, Indie!

-Kevin
O.k...it''s not the GREATEST sonng...but it's not bad, either. And it does call out our favorite stations' name.
lsinger9404

Post by lsinger9404 »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:I am not even sure why they were on the bill in the first place. It's not like KROQ ever played them in the first place. Kind of a joke, eh Glenn???
Well...actually...as he did with Van Halen, Rodney played them first. Granted, he doesn't play them anymore...but that's beside the point. Rodney's always been on the "glam" side of music, and MC started out in the glam tradition. Yes, they morphed in to a hair band, but at first they were just New York Dolls/Slade wannabees.
lsinger9404

Post by lsinger9404 »

Glenn wrote:They must be desperate for new fans to replace their lost ones. So they are bending over, biting the pillow and making Motley Crew a KROQ band.
Anyone remember when Metallica became a "KROQ band"???
lsinger9404

Post by lsinger9404 »

They traditionally didn't do the Soundgarden/Rage Against The Machines songs. They wanted to develop their own identity. They said they now felt comfortable playing them.

I REALLY want them to pull out "Fopp". That's a fonnky cover Soundgarden did on an EP that is begging for RATM to play the instruments for. I met Morello and Cornell afterwards (who were boh SUPER nice) and was kicking myself all the way home for not suggesting it to Cornell.
assholitis wrote:Yeah, good thing they had them headline ahead of other bands like the Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age and the Killers. Good call, KROQ.

I don't know who went or watched from the webcast, but when the boys from Rage (now Audioslave) started playing Bulls on Parade, did anyone else think Zach was going to appear on stage and do a few songs with them? lol I did. I was so disappointed when they went into a new song, and Chris Cornell did his rendition of Sleep Now in the Fire. No offense to Chris, who's a talented musician in his own right, but it's just a different genre of music than he's used to. I didn't really think it fit well with him doing vocals to that song. But Black Hole Sun sounded great acoustic. And I liked the whole band doing Spoonman. I think it's easier for the guys to play Soundgarden songs, then it is for Chris to do Rage songs. By the way, I've never seen Audioslave live. Is it routine for them to do Soundgarden/Rage Against the Machine songs, or was this a special surprise for the Weenie Roast? I know that Velvet Revolver typically plays STP and G 'n' R covers.

-Kevin
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Boy do I!!! That was horrible!! I had the biggest crush on Lars, even though he's a midget (yes I know, I'm no Jolly Green, but I prefer my men tall.) Then all this Napster crap started happening and I lost all respect for him.
What always cracks me up is seeing the VH1 promo for the Metallica special they were airing and Lars comes on and says "I feel so disrespected" or something to that effect...
What a wuss!!!!
lsinger9404 wrote:Anyone remember when Metallica became a "KROQ band"???
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
gidgetgoestohell

lsinger9404 wrote:
gidgetgoestohell wrote:I am not even sure why they were on the bill in the first place. It's not like KROQ ever played them in the first place. Kind of a joke, eh Glenn???
Well...actually...as he did with Van Halen, Rodney played them first. Granted, he doesn't play them anymore...but that's beside the point. Rodney's always been on the "glam" side of music, and MC started out in the glam tradition. Yes, they morphed in to a hair band, but at first they were just New York Dolls/Slade wannabees.

True, true....While I give Rodney all the credit that he deserves, I just don't ever think that the mucis that he breaks are actually KROQ bands...I always think of his stuff as HIS stuff..ya know???
Gidge