Dicky Talk

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

RobertKP

Dicky Talk

Post by RobertKP »

No Rotter, I'm not refering to your unit but rather to Mr Barrett. It has been over a year since Dicky was so rudely fired from Indie 103.1 & everyone has pretty much moved on from it. I was receiving quite a few emails & messages at my Indie website from listeners expressing their outrage or sadness about the incident but it trickled off after a couple months. Then just the other day I received a very complimentary e-mail from a longtime Indie 1031 listener who just discovered my website. He thanked me for all the song, artist & show information I included on my site & then added this extra note - "(I'm still mad about the loss of Dickie Barrett, who I feel had the best show and easily the best musical taste, but that's another story I guess.")
Obviously, whether or not you still listen to the station at all, this is a statement we mostly agree with here. Coincidentally, just this week, Indie has started to play the Mighty Mighty Bosstones again. When Dicky was on the station, many of their songs were in regular rotation. Once he was fired, their songs were immediately banned. Now they are slowly being re-introduced into the playlist. I've heard "Rascal King" & "The Impression That I Get" so far. So does this mean Dicky is coming back to Indie? I don't think so. Michael Steele was "let go" & Indie has a new Program Director, Max Tolkoff since 04/01. Perhaps Max & Mark Sovel have decided that it is time to move forward from the Michael Steel rigime & bringing back the Bosstone songs & other songs from the early days of Indie is a good way to start. I just have to wonder about one thing - if Max had been the Program Director when Indie started, would the Mighty Mighty Morning Show still be on the air? C'mon Gidge. You must have answers up there. Give us a hint, would ya? Show us a sign!
I'm in shape! Round is a shape!
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Gidge would certianly know for sure, being where she is, privy to knowledge not available to us mere mortals.

Personally, I have gone back talk radio. I enjoy the speals of John Zieglar, Libertiarian, as I am sure would Gidge.

Not too much of the new stuff indie plays is that appealing to me & I really first was hooked for all the old stuff anyhow. Gone are the days of James, XTC, The Stranglers, Joy division, Adolescents etc...at least when I flick indie on. Maybe I am just not listening enough. And Jonesey...me thinks Schloe is writing his playlist.

I wish DB success if this is the case with the Bosstones. He is talented and deserves a break. He had some great playlists & his replacement sucks ass.
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Having said that their ratings are up though - 0.8. That'ws 0.3 points more!!!

0.5 0.4 0.5 0.5 0.8 (now)

Ideally I would like the music played by a station with a rating of 0.1
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe
RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

Glenn wrote:Gidge would certianly know for sure, being where she is, privy to knowledge not available to us mere mortals.

Personally, I have gone back talk radio. I enjoy the speals of John Zieglar, Libertiarian, as I am sure would Gidge.

Not too much of the new stuff indie plays is that appealing to me & I really first was hooked for all the old stuff anyhow. Gone are the days of James, XTC, The Stranglers, Joy division, Adolescents etc...at least when I flick indie on. Maybe I am just not listening enough. And Jonesey...me thinks Schloe is writing his playlist.

I wish DB success if this is the case with the Bosstones. He is talented and deserves a break. He had some great playlists & his replacement sucks ass.
I'm not a talk radio person. I'm all about the music. If I'm listening at home & I don't like what Indie is playing, I go to another internet station or listen to my own cds. Except for The Adolescents, Indie still plays all those artists. Adolescents are generally only played on Complete Control. Back in the early months of Indie, they only had the older artists so they played them more often. Now they play the newer stuff a lot more. Some of it I like, some I don't but like all commercial radio stations, there is too much repetition of the current songs.
As for Jonesy, well, he is what he is. I usually like the music & I like when he has a guest but when he just mumbles or yells & sings silly made-up songs for the first 30 minutes, I bail.
The Rizen shloemoe

Post by The Rizen shloemoe »

Hey...a serious conversation....I dont even know
how to act..... :?
Having abandoned my search for truth,
I am now looking for a good fantasy.
--Anonymous Internet Sage

...Some men...ya just can't reach...
--The Captain from "Cool Hand Luke"
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

I'm still listening to KCRW in the morning, then my own stuff the rest of the day
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
Stuartmm

Wow

Post by Stuartmm »

Mighty Mighty Boss tones being played just now on TK's show.

All the things Robert says are correct. When i think what the Morning show was and the music they played at that time... ah it breaks my heart at what there is now. Just playlist rotations. Just sounds tired. And if they keep calling something "New music" when it has been played for a year i swear i will choke someone out.

Hate having Complete Control on Saturday night. Rollins is still entertaining. Jonesy is himself ; better with guests than not. But just the chance to get him chatting to the reid brothers ( Jesus and mary chain ) last week makes the yelping and burping almost tolerable. The jury show on Fridays has turned out very well.
This "new" guy Darren Revell has interesting shows but did we really need to lose Cha Cha on Tuesdays. Shovels show from 10-12 sometimes throws a loop music wise but not really enough.
Also the producers must have been told to shut the hell up which makes for less entertaining shows.
Bye again , next post in about 6 months :-)
RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

Thanks for stopping by Stuart. Good insights. You really don't have to wait 6 months to come back! I don't know exactly why Cha Cha & the Red Zone are gone but her show was off the air several weeks before Darren came onto the evening shift & brought Big Sonic Heaven with him (from Detroit.) Cha Cha was syndicating the show to Spanish language stations all over the country, including one in Palm Springs so she may be broadcasting it from another station. Her Myspace page, however, only indicates Indie 103.1 so who knows.