"Bonus tracks"...a rant

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

lsinger9404

"Bonus tracks"...a rant

Post by lsinger9404 »

Alright....i've kind of had it up to here with what the record companies consider "bonus tracks". There was a time when "bonus tracks" really meant something. Remember vinyl?? Well, vinyl held less space for songs than a cassette. Cassette often, thus, had "bonus songs"...songs that weren't on the vinyl. Then, when CDs came in to the mix, CDs often had "bonus tracks"...tracks that weren't on the vinyl to entice people to either repurchase the album on CD, or pay the extra few bucks for the CD over the vinyl. Nowadays, cassettes have gone the way of the vinyl, and are disappearing from store shelves, so all that is available is the CD version. Sometimes they release a CD with a "bonus CD" of extra tracks...o.k., those are "bonus tracks". But nowadays with CD capacity reaching 80 minutes, I should be granted 80 minutes worth of songs, "bonus" or not, for my $16.98 list price (I NEVER pay more than $10.99!) And then they've got these single CD releases with the "bonus tracks" ON the CD. Ummm..."bonus" from what?? THEN...they sell CDs on iTunes with "bonus tracks" advertised...but they're about the same length as an unbonused album. As a matter of fact, I saw a few single song CDs with a "bonus track" listed...yet the price of the single is $1.98...so for the same price as two songs you get...two songs.

I think it's all just smoke and mirrors to make the consumer feel they're getting more.

Post by Guest »

It's not everyone Larry. I have recently purchased some Wedding Present CD's to replace my old misssing vinyl with +7 bonus tracks in some cases. They take the B-sides from the singles and add them on to the end of the abum which is great value and wotth the $16.00 if you are a fan. That would only work with re-issues though. Their newer stuff they have the singles videos on the CD that you can play on computer which is good added value too.

Alsio I noticed that moby are releasing their stuff with free Mp3's of the B sides. (you don't have to nuy the single to get the b-side either)Well I supose there is not really such a thing as a b side anymore but they are still playing the game cause everyone loves the b-sides I suppose.