Indie Ringtones

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

Indie Ringtones

Post by obiwankobe »

Digital Rights Agency to Launch "Indie" Ringtone Service

Jonah Flicker reports:
Let's face it, our beloved indie rock really isn't all that "indie" anymore. Getting giddy over the newest Death Cab song, Franz Ferdinand B-side, or Modest Mouse summertime jam doesn't render you part of some exclusive club these days, if it ever did. Mainstream radio, teen soap operas and yuppie ad campaigns are saturated with indie bands, and the sky hasn't fallen...so why not our cell phones? The blandly-named Digital Rights Agency recently launched Bliptones, which a press release claims is the world's first "indie-only ringtone webstore". For two bucks, bliptones.com will happily sell you a ringtone by Death Cab, the Decemberists, Sleater-Kinney, Deerhoof, Xiu Xiu, Low, Kid 606, or any of roughly 130 other performers, most of whom have only one ringtone currently available through Bliptones.

Digital Rights Agency's managing director, Tuhin Roy, sees the venture as helpful to indie labels. "By building the Bliptones brand through online and offline marketing and making it an outlet exclusively for our clients, we are providing our labels with an important leg-up in the mobile entertainment market," says Roy. DRA has a long history working with indie bands and labels, helping them reach vaguely described "digital outlets" around the world. In the past, they've distributed Asphodel, Barsuk, Def Jux, Darla, Kill Rock Stars, Dim Mak, and more.

For now, Bliptones will "only" be available to customers of AT&T, Bell Canada, Cellular One, Cingular, FIDO, Rogers AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile...in other words, about 80 percent of the whole goddamn cell phone market. A Google search will turn up numerous "indie" ringtone sites that are already in existence; but Bliptones just might make the search for a Decemberists ringtone a bit easier. Before you go buy that Hella ringtone you've always wanted, though, keep in mind that every single human on this planet has the physical strength necessary to crush your cell phone into a zillion pieces, if you give them a reason. We trust we've made ourselves clear.

* Digital Rights Agency: http://www.digitalrightsagency.com/
* Bliptones: http://www.bliptones.com/
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

That's a really cool site.
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe
*Annie*

Re: Indie Ringtones

Post by *Annie* »

obiwankobe wrote:Digital Rights Agency to Launch "Indie" Ringtone Service

Jonah Flicker reports:
Let's face it, our beloved indie rock really isn't all that "indie" anymore. Getting giddy over the newest Death Cab song, Franz Ferdinand B-side, or Modest Mouse summertime jam doesn't render you part of some exclusive club these days, if it ever did. Mainstream radio, teen soap operas and yuppie ad campaigns are saturated with indie bands, and the sky hasn't fallen...so why not our cell phones? The blandly-named Digital Rights Agency recently launched Bliptones, which a press release claims is the world's first "indie-only ringtone webstore". For two bucks, bliptones.com will happily sell you a ringtone by Death Cab, the Decemberists, Sleater-Kinney, Deerhoof, Xiu Xiu, Low, Kid 606, or any of roughly 130 other performers, most of whom have only one ringtone currently available through Bliptones.

Digital Rights Agency's managing director, Tuhin Roy, sees the venture as helpful to indie labels. "By building the Bliptones brand through online and offline marketing and making it an outlet exclusively for our clients, we are providing our labels with an important leg-up in the mobile entertainment market," says Roy. DRA has a long history working with indie bands and labels, helping them reach vaguely described "digital outlets" around the world. In the past, they've distributed Asphodel, Barsuk, Def Jux, Darla, Kill Rock Stars, Dim Mak, and more.

For now, Bliptones will "only" be available to customers of AT&T, Bell Canada, Cellular One, Cingular, FIDO, Rogers AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile...in other words, about 80 percent of the whole goddamn cell phone market. A Google search will turn up numerous "indie" ringtone sites that are already in existence; but Bliptones just might make the search for a Decemberists ringtone a bit easier. Before you go buy that Hella ringtone you've always wanted, though, keep in mind that every single human on this planet has the physical strength necessary to crush your cell phone into a zillion pieces, if you give them a reason. We trust we've made ourselves clear.

* Digital Rights Agency: http://www.digitalrightsagency.com/
* Bliptones: http://www.bliptones.com/
The thought makes me weep every time....
my phone rings to the voice of Karen O.. or sometimes an Interpol bass line...
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

that's what I was saying a year ago in the Yahoo Group that "Indie" wasn't really indie anymore
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

How does having a ringtone of a song you like make that band un-indie?
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

I'm un-indie, my music is "semi-popular"
-tom

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

So when you speak against bush that is un-american and semi-unpopular.
a KROQ spy!

Post by a KROQ spy! »

obiwankobe wrote:I'm in my undies, my music is "semi-popular"- Bob Seger's "Old Time
Rock 'n' Roll"

:o :o :o
Too much information!
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

a KROQ spy! wrote:
obiwankobe wrote:I'm in my undies, my music is "semi-popular"- Bob Seger's "Old Time
Rock 'n' Roll"

Too much information!

Pictures Spy.....PICTURES......
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
a KROQ spy!

Post by a KROQ spy! »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:
a KROQ spy! wrote:
Rock 'n' Roll"

Too much information!

Pictures Spy.....PICTURES......
There's somethings even Spies don't want to remember!
:x
gidgetgoestohell

Oooooooo....so you SAW it....even better....:D
Gidge

*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

obiwankobe wrote:that's what I was saying a year ago in the Yahoo Group that "Indie" wasn't really indie anymore
Well, it's been coming for a long time... but it's still sad and it's getting worse...
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Everybody knows that there is only one true indie band in the world left.
gidgetgoestohell

and that band would be.....

THE FLEISS
Gidge

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
//THE FLEISS WILL NEVER SELL OUT FOR ANY AMOUNT OF CASH*///
///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

*we do however accept visa, master card & american express. leave your discover card at home & no dodgy checks.