Crowded House Drummer Hester Found Dead

All useless chat to pass the time goes here.

Moderator: Admin

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

03/28/2005 12:28 AM, AP

The drummer from 1980s Australian rock band Crowded House hanged himself in a park in southern Australia, an emergency services spokeswoman said Monday.

Paul Hester, 46, went missing on Friday. His body was found Saturday in a park near his home in the southern city of Melbourne, said Metropolitan Ambulance Service spokeswoman Liraje Memishi.

Hester played in several small bands before joining the New Zealand group Split Enz in 1983. He and Split Enz singer Neil Finn formed Crowded House in 1985 with bass player Nick Seymour.

Crowded House was one of Australia's most successful bands in the late 1980s and early 1990s, with international hits such as "Don't Dream it's Over" and "Weather with You."

:cry:
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

I appreciate the post, Glenn, although you had to be the barer of bad news. I hadn't heard about this and it's not in Yahoo's lead stories this morning. The online radio station that I listen to, 8Ball Radio, played a block of Crowded House songs today but I just figured they were playing some good music. They played Locked Out from the Reality Bites Soundtrack followed by a beautiful acoustic version of Don't Dream It's Over by former Crowded House frontman, Neill Finn. It was just a great reminder of how amazing that song truly is and seems to stand the test of time. Anyways, they rounded the tribute out with Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah. What a horrible way to go out. :( Thoughts and prayer's to Paul's family.

-Kevin
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I am a big fan of both Split Enz & Crowded House. I was born in New Zealand (grew up in U.K though) so Split Enz & Crowded House where one of the few bands from downunder to do well and break Internatiionaly. Makes a kiwi proud.

R.I.P
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I'm still perplexed though how a man of 46 would consider taking his own life.
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Oh, I didn't know you were originally from NZ or that you grew up in England. Yeah, this story's been a real downer all day. I'm really glad Steve brought it up and handled it so kindly. I guess I'm just left wondering, as you are and a lot others I'm sure, of how he could have felt so low to do such a thing. I think what saddens me the most is the particularly brutal way he chose and the fact that he has two small children still. Well, it sounds like you were a really big fan of his music, so I know this must be especially difficult for you and I'm sorry to hear about it. :(

-Kev
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

I saw the news this morning and all I could say was OH SHIT.
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Bowie sums it up best with his song...

It another "rock n roll suicide".

One of thise days. It's not like a I know the guy but I've been bummed out all day. I Just grew up listeneing to their music since I can ever remember.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

gidgetgoestohell wrote: OH SHIT.
That's what I say every morning. :?
gidgetgoestohell

Glenn:

I listened to both band almost exhaustively while I was pregnant with my son. I really understand how you feel today. GROUP HUG!!!
Gidge

Post by Guest »

Group bottle of J.D would be better.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Singing "o you don't know the troubles that I've seen"

hick!
gidgetgoestohell

~waves a Group bottle of Jack and and holds out arms for hugs to those that need 'em~
Gidge