REAL Archive O Rama

You can find the yahoo message archive here.

Moderators: MicheBel, Archive Bot, Admin

Archive Bot

happy christmas to all

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 377 of 4438  | 
Date:  Thu Dec 23, 2004  7:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [indie1031fm] happy christmas to all

Happy Christmas from me up here in Canada. :o)
Archive Bot

happy christmas to all

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 378 of 4438  | 
Date:  Thu Dec 23, 2004  11:29 pm
Subject:  Re: happy christmas to all

Merry Christmas all and congrats to Indie for 1 year on the air.
Wooah!

I expect to spend the next 3-4 days very drunk.

and remeber the true sprit of Christmas...

Christmas time is for stuffing your belly
Eating Green Jelly
& Watching the telly.
Archive Bot

Indie for the Masses

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 379 of 4438  | 
Date:  Fri Dec 24, 2004  11:42 am
Subject:  Re: [indie1031fm] Re: Indie for the Masses

I love the idea, i would love to write for the magazine. Email me with more information.
Archive Bot

Re: Shirts

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 381 of 4438  | 
Date:  Fri Dec 24, 2004  1:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [indie1031fm] Re: Shirts

hey lets keep it indie okay
Archive Bot

Indie stickers

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 382 of 4438  | 
Date:  Fri Dec 24, 2004  1:58 pm
Subject:  Indie stickers

Hey all who are interested in indie stickers, the dimensions of the Indie stickers are 9in X 3.5in and 2-3 stickers for each 37 cent stamp (depending on the weight of the envelope, it could be 2 or 3). Been getting a few envelopes that are too small and a few large ones. (Don't worry, the ones that were too small, you won't get half a sticker hehe). No need to send a big envelope, a normal standard envelope will work just fine. If you still want stickers but didn't get yours yet you can still get them by sending a self addressed stamped envelope with the number of stickers you want to:
Jack Low
P.O. Box 4502
Diamond Bar, CA 91765

For those of you that already sent an envelope, I'll be sending them out after Christmas, sorry, couldn't get you an Indie sticker for Christmas heh, that's what happens when you're a poor college student without a car, but Merry Christmas anyways!
~Jack~
Archive Bot

Fiona Apple?? Indie???

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 383 of 4438  | 
Date:  Fri Dec 24, 2004  1:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [indie1031fm] Re: Shirts

Yea, I was going to say, Fiona Apple?? Indie???

----- Original Message -----
To: indie1031fm@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [indie1031fm] Re: Shirts
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:54:38 EST

>> hey lets keep it indie okay
Archive Bot

where's the party?

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 388 of 4438  | 
Date:  Fri Dec 24, 2004  8:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [indie1031fm] Re: happy christmas to all

lol really indie is one year, where's the party?
Archive Bot

happy christmas to all

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 392 of 4438  | 
Date:  Fri Dec 24, 2004  11:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [indie1031fm] Re: happy christmas to all

At my place, the radio is turned up real loud (so I can hear over the static!)
Archive Bot

pictures

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 393 of 4438  | 
Date:  Sat Dec 25, 2004  12:10 am
Subject:  pictures

Heh, I was poking around the indie group menu and saw a picture feature. Just posted my wacko self on there, lets post pictures on there so maybe we can say hi if we ever bump into each other at some concert or something so we can scream Indie rocks without looking like a lone idiot!

~Jack~
Archive Bot

Happy Bday Indie! & Merry Xmas to all!

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 394 of 4438  | 
Date:  Sat Dec 25, 2004  1:13 am
Subject:  Happy Bday Indie! & Merry Xmas to all!

What a great year of radio for LA! We needed a station like this and are close to their listeners. Thanks for the year and many more to come! =)
MicheBel

Post by MicheBel »

Message 395 of 4438  | 
Date:  Sat Dec 25, 2004  11:45 am
Subject:  Re: Happy Bday Indie! & Merry Xmas to all!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY INDIE! Thanks for giving us a year of great radio!!!!

--Miche
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 397 of 4438  | 
Date:  Sat Dec 25, 2004  11:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [indie1031fm] Happy Bday Indie! & Merry Xmas to all!

Happy birthday and merry xmas to u!
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 398 of 4438  | 
Date:  Sun Dec 26, 2004  8:17 am
Subject:  Re: [indie1031fm] Happy Bday Indie! & Merry Xmas to all!

Happy Holidays to all...
and Happy Bithday to Indie!!! May there be MANY more...
Archive Bot

anyone know the name of this song???

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 407 of 4438  | 
Date:  Mon Dec 27, 2004  9:13 am
Subject:  anyone know the name of this song???

the song goes like this:

"...i want the stupid girl that gives me all those dirty looks......and the girl in the front with the tight pants...... and your little asian friend can come along if she wants."

the song rocks and i was wondering where i could get it.
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 410 of 4438  | 
Date:  Mon Dec 27, 2004  9:15 am
Subject:  Re: anyone know the name of this song???

Its by Louie XIV and its called True Love is Blind. I the band has a website (louiexiv.net?) where you can order it
Archive Bot

Re: Indie Mag

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 411 of 4438  | 
Date:  Mon Dec 27, 2004  12:13 pm
Subject:  Re: [indie1031fm] Re: Indie Mag

I've done some research on this.

We could produce a 16 page Indie 1031 zine, black & white, self cover, saddle stich binding, pages are 5.5X8.5 (i.e would basicly be qty 8 of 8 1/2 x 11 paper folded to make 16 pages & bound. Qty of 1500

So would be front cover, inside front, inside back, back cover + 12 pages. (cover is same paper as pages)

We could print 1500 copies of this size in b&w for under $400.00. Would be decent paper & print quality. (i.e not just photo copy)

I could pay for this myself if I could be sure it was distributed.i.e I dont want 1000 copies in my office. Advertise to get advertisers for the 2nd edition to pay the cost if we decide to do this again.

Key is to fill the pages with indie related material, not so hard & make sure it hits the record shops, books shops or where ever there is potential listners.

Summary.

If there is interest...

I can pay the cost of printing & bindry approx $400.00 (any other contributions welcome)

Key would be content (i think that alot of people would be willing to contribute indie related content)

Distribution - If we can find volunteers to help the zine get out there. 1500 copies could = 100 locations @ 15 copies per location or ?
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 412 of 4438  | 
Date:  Mon Dec 27, 2004  12:32 pm

thats a good idea
MicheBel

Post by MicheBel »

Message 415 of 4438  | 
Date:  Mon Dec 27, 2004  2:40 pm
Subject:  Re: Indie Mag

Dude--

Before you run headlong into this, ask yourself a few questions:

1. Who are you gonna get to advertise in the future? Who's going to drum up these sales? How much are you going to charge? What sizes are you going to have available?

2. What "Indie content" are you going to have and where are you going to get it?

3. Who are you going to get to distribute it? How are they going to distribute it? Get these commitments ahead of time before you print one copy.

Before you go spending $400 (which is a noble gesture), draw up a plan for a year, two years, five years -- what you want to do with this, the purpose, the strategy. Otherwise, all you're going to end up with is one copy of a zine that you paid for.

Also, if you have some kind of business plan about it, you're more likely to get regular advertisers.

But also realize this. The advertising climate right now is crap. Indie itself
has difficulty getting advertisers. What are you gonna provide to make advertising a reality?

Not to be a hard-ass about this, but I'd really hate to have you put out all
this effort and fail in this endeavor. And I still say that if such a thing is done, it really should be done in conjunction with Indie's marketing department. Why? Because you'd have access to much more cool Indie content than a fan would typically on their own.

And also, not to be a print snob, but I do think people are spoiled, if they
pick up a mag (or even a zine) that it's at least in color. To say nothing of being on nice, glossy paper. Which is going to cost more than $400. The upside, though, is that you can also charge more for ads. :-)

--Miche

PS--Also, if you really want to squander $400 on Indie, I think a much better investment would be to make up some cool Indie T-shirts and sell those. That way, you'd make your money back (through the T-shirt sales), and the message would continue to be spread whenever anyone wore the T-shirt. And once you make the $400 back, you could do it again. You go into the magazine business, you are throwing that $400 away.

Oh, and also, a print run of 1500 is NOTHING. If the purpose of this is to draw more listeners to Indie, even if every single person who bought one started listening, it wouldn't even make a dent in the ratings. Heck, even if they convinced five of their friends to listen, it still wouldn't put a dent in the ratings. Sorry to be such a naysayer, but this is reality.
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 416 of 4438  | 
Date:  Mon Dec 27, 2004  5:27 pm

this sounds awesome! I've got some experience with this beacause at my high school we are right now under work of creating an art mag with poetry, photography and other artwork. so really as long u are able to pay for it, that is one thing done the next would be to actually find stores who could distribute it, then the next would be actually designing the magazine graphics and putting it together. but if we could find places who could distribute we should be cool, im sure designing it wont be to hard, really just have to be positively sure that we could pay for it. if ur are sure there wont be money troubles then im more than glad to support our local radio station by going around orange county and LA county finding places to distribute (mostly book stores). and as for the content, im positive there should be people out there willing to send some stuff (I would). its not gonna hurt to at least try, and if this mag happens it'll help out indie for sure. lets just try!
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 417 of 4438  | 
Date:  Tue Dec 28, 2004  10:06 am

I am not trying to start a business or magazine company. Just start an Indie 1031 fanzine with other listeners… if there is the interest and proactive members that would be required to do so. There seems to have been some suggestion that there is so.

You raise some good points though. Here is my response.

<<Q1. Who are you gonna get to advertise in the future? Who's going to drum up these sales? How much are you going to charge? What sizes are you going to have available?>>

A. Initially nobody. Part of the first will be to see if there is any interest to advertise in such a thing in the future anyhow. This is not really about the advertising as much as it is the content & intent. Would be nice to cover the print cost but the initial idea is to get word of Indie out there to potential listeners.

<<Q2. What "Indie content" are you going to have and where are you going to get it?>>

As Fan-zine suggests that the content is supplied by the fans in regards to the topic, in this case Indie 1031. This is not supposed to be any official Indie 1031 magazine or anything like it.  This could be produced by themselves if they wanted to.

The content could be anything from an interview with an Indie D.J, a  review of songs being played on indie. Tips on how to get a better reception in OC, anything where there is a common interest with potential indie listeners, current listners and the radio persona.

Just general info that all might drive potential listners to the dial.

An idea might be “Check One Two Review” where we take select songs from the specialty show and review them. What do the listeners think of these songs and when the show is on what day etc. The purpose is to create interest & get people to listen to the show etc.

Also we could review products that are being advertised on indie. i.e malaboo, beer, etc. That would be my job.

<<Q3. Who are you going to get to distribute it? How are they going to distribute it? Get these commitments ahead of time before you print one copy.>>

A There are 2 ideas. We would need some volunteers who already visit cool places that Indie fans might be found record shops, coffee shop etc. They are already going there so just remember to drop them off. Flakes could be a problem with this though although if anyone showed interest why not try.

Maybe a small record label could distribute who already visit local stores, has local bands etc and maybe has a little music played on indie. I have a few contacts here.

<<Before you go spending $400 (which is a noble gesture), draw up a plan for a year, two years, five years -- what you want to do with this, the purpose, the strategy. Otherwise, all you're going to end up with is one copy of a zine that you paid for.>>

I’m not that serious about this. I fully expect to lose the $400. Otherwise I wouldn’t do it.

<<But also realize this. The advertising climate right now is crap. Indie itself has difficulty getting advertisers. What are you gonna provide to make advertising a reality?>>

Nothing. There is no plan to sell advertising for the first run. Maybe give some ads to people who can help us out. The bottom line is we can put an ad in the zine asking to contact us if they are interested in ad issue 2. If there is interest there will be an issue, we can make a decision based on the level of interest. If there is no interest we are done, unless we raise the money again.

<<Not to be a hard-ass about this, but I'd really hate to have you put out all this effort and fail in this endeavor. And I still say that if such a thing is done, it really should be done in conjunction with Indie's marketing department. Why? Because you'd have access to much more cool Indie content than a fan would typically on their own.>>

Perhaps, the point is that this is a fan based deal though. If someone wants to make those connections direct with Indie marketing that should be fine as long as they (indie) are cool with it. It would seem to be in their interest I would imagine. The more angles we come from the better, and this could be one of them. I just feel that once you enter the corporate loop things tend slow down and feet drag and everything needs approval, permission, can say this, can’t say that - who is liable for what and worst of all “expectations”. At that point the whole thing would become a big drag.

Also if they wanted to do an “Official Indie Zine” or mag why not just do it themselves.

<<And also, not to be a print snob, but I do think people are spoiled, if they pick up a mag (or even a zine) that it's at least in color. To say nothing of being on nice, glossy paper. Which is going to cost more than $400. The upside, though, is that you can also charge more for ads. :-);>>

The downside is that it won’t happen without a lot of $$$. I do agree with you that it would be much nicer. “you can’t always get what we want” mick jagger

I think that it is very possible to produce a professional looking zine, interesting & making the most of the fact that it is b&w.

<<PS--Also, if you really want to squander $400 on Indie, I think a much better investment would be to make up some cool Indie T-shirts and sell those. That way, you'd make your money back (through the T-shirt sales), and the message would continue to be spread whenever anyone wore the T-shirt. And once you make the $400 back, you could do it again. You go into the magazine business, you are throwing that $400 away.>>

Anyone with a blank t-shirt and a can of spray paint has an indie 1031 t-shirt if they really want it..

+ I would imagine that they plan to produce them themselves or plan too.

<<Oh, and also, a print run of 1500 is NOTHING. If the purpose of this is to draw more listeners to Indie, even if every single person who bought one started listening, it wouldn't  even make a dent in the ratings. Heck, even if they convinced five of their friends to listen, it still wouldn't put a dent in the ratings. Sorry to be such a naysayer, but this is reality.>>

I don't claim that this would be the "end all solution" to indie getting new listeners or better ratings. It’s just something small that we can do. You can always get something out of nothing if you try hard enough.
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 418 of 4438  | 
Date:  Tue Dec 28, 2004  10:31 am

Five bucks says Miche is laughing their ass off.  At least it can't be said that good advice wasn't offered.
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 419 of 4438  | 
Date:  Tue Dec 28, 2004  10:48 am

its a good response and sensible answers to good questions, but my question is what is entravision actually doing to support their own station? I dont have any info on that and i think before the consumer gets involved the corporation should show some interest. That and i wonder about the specifics of teh contract with clear channel. Its possible that they could yank out any anytime despite our fervent hopes and dreams.

I will definately volunteer to help distribute, but i am still curious about how they are helping themselves.

Good job on the intelligent point/counterpoint guys
MicheBel

Billy Bragg on Indie

Post by MicheBel »

Message 420 of 4438  | 
Date:  Tue Dec 28, 2004  11:07 am
Subject:  Billy Bragg on Indie

FINALLY Indie plays Billy Bragg! Life is good! :-)

--Miche
MicheBel

Post by MicheBel »

Message 422 of 4438  | 
Date:  Tue Dec 28, 2004  11:45 am

>> I am not trying to start a business or magazine company. Just start an Indie 1031 fanzine with other listeners… if there is the interest and proactive members that would be required to do so. There seems to have been some suggestion that there is so.>>

Well, just let me cut to the chase. It starts out as a fanzine, if it sucks,
it'll die. If it's good and you can manage to keep it going, it becomes a magazine that everyone wants. I'm just trying to save you some pain, and get you to think this through.

> You raise some good points though. Here is my response.
> > Q1. Who are you gonna get to advertise in the future? Who's going to drum up these sales? How much are you going to charge? What sizes are you going to have available?

> > A. Initially nobody. Part of the first will be to see if there is any
interest to advertise in such a thing in the future anyhow. This is not really about the advertising as much as it is the content & intent. Would be nice to cover the print cost but the initial idea is to get word of Indie out there to potential listeners.>>

A noble idea. Good luck with that.

>> Q2. What "Indie content" are you going to have and where are you going to get it?

>> As Fan-zine suggests that the content is supplied by the fans in regards to the topic, in this case Indie 1031. This is not supposed to be any official Indie 1031 magazine or anything like it. This could be produced by themselves if they wanted to.

The content could be anything from an interview with an Indie D.J, a review of songs being played on indie. Tips on how to get a better reception in OC, anything where there is a common interest with potential indie listeners, current listners and the radio persona.

Just general info that all might drive potential listners to the dial.>>

AHA! There we have it. "Interviews with Indie DJs." Don't you think they'd want to do that with 1) legitimate magazines first, 2) their own marketing pieces second?

Also, next would be photos of bands, shows, etc. Where are you going to get this stuff in a way that isn't copyright-infringing?

Again, I'm really not trying to rain on your parade. One of the guys who said he's interested also said he's in high school. I'm not. I've been down this road many a time, with other radio stations even. Sigh.

Oh, and also, my experience (especially in SoCal) with people submitting stuff that unless you have a staff first, people might submit a few things at first, but if you really want stories/interviews/concert photos/whatever people have to WORK to do, they're gonna wanna get paid, or get something for it. Especially if you're talking about publishing GOOD things. A way to go about this might be to get some like-minded souls together FIRST, and assign stories, and gauge their level of commitment to this project.

I so urge you not to just take this on yourself.

>> An idea might be "Check One Two Review" where we take select songs from the specialty show and review them. What do the listeners think of these songs and when the show is on what day etc. The purpose is to create interest & get people to listen to the show etc.>>

This all sounds like something that would be better generated by the station itself. (Check One Two is a great show, I agree with you, though.)

And where/how exactly are you going to poll these "listeners"?

If you get to the point where you're profiling a band which was played on Check One Two, and talking about where they're playing, you're essentially doing Indie's advertising for them. And you really shouldn't do that without compensation.

>> Also we could review products that are being advertised on indie. i.e malaboo, beer, etc. That would be my job.>>

Dude, double ditto on that one. That's totally free advertising. Don't do this without getting paid for it, in some fashion. You go down this route, trust me, you are talking about starting a magazine/business.

>> Q3. Who are you going to get to distribute it? How are they going to
distribute it? Get these commitments ahead of time before you print one copy.

>> A There are 2 ideas. We would need some volunteers who already visit cool places that Indie fans might be found record shops, coffee shop etc. They are already going there so just remember to drop them off. Flakes could be a problem with this though although if anyone showed interest why not try.>>

Dude, trust me on this. There are a whole lotta flakes in SoCal. Any gung-ho commitment at the beginning is gonna quickly die out, unless they get paid for it at some point. Even then, it's questionable.

>> Maybe a small record label could distribute who already visit local stores, has local bands etc and maybe has a little music played on indie. I have a few contacts here.>>

Huh. So you're gonna get a record label to distribute a fanzine which reviews their music and talks about their bands. Conflict of interest much?

And if you do it from this angle, the record label should be producing it.

But also realize this. The advertising climate right now is crap. Indie itself has difficulty getting advertisers. What are you gonna provide to make advertising a reality?

>> Nothing. There is no plan to sell advertising for the first run. Maybe give some ads to people who can help us out. The bottom line is we can put an ad in the zine asking to contact us if they are interested in ad issue 2. If there is interest there will be an issue, we can make a decision based on the level of interest. If there is no interest we are done, unless we raise the money again.>>

Dude. Listen to yourself. What is the purpose of losing $400 on a one-time zine? How many listeners is that really gonna bring to Indie? Seriously?

Not to be a hard-ass about this, but I'd really hate to have you put out all this effort and fail in this endeavor. And I still say that if such a thing is done, it really should be done in conjunction with Indie's marketing department. Why? Because you'd have access to much more cool Indie content than a fan would typically on their own.

>>Perhaps, the point is that this is a fan based deal though. If someone wants to make those connections direct with Indie marketing that should be fine as long as they (indie) are cool with it. It would seem to be in their interest I would imagine. The more angles we come from the better, and this could be one of them. >>

I just feel that once you enter the corporate loop things tend slow down and feet drag and everything needs approval, permission, can say this, can't say that - who is liable for what and worst of all "expectations". At that point the whole thing would become a big drag.

>> Also if they wanted to do an "Official Indie Zine" or mag why not just do it themselves.>>

EXACTLY! Or better still, an Indie mag. This is exactly the point of my carrying on this conversation with you. I'm hoping someone from Indie marketing realizes that there is interest out there for such a thing.

And trust me, even if you do this on your own, if you want anything from Indie (interviews/ photos/band passes/whatever), it's gonna "enter that corporate loop." And also, "who is liable for what" needs to be considered even if you do this on your own. You don't wanna be sued, now do you?

Also, if you do more than one issue, there will be expectations.

>> I think that it is very possible to produce a professional looking zine,
interesting & making the most of the fact that it is b&w.>>

Good luck with that.

>> I don't claim that this would be the "end all solution" to indie getting new listeners or better ratings. It's just something small that we can do. You can always get something out of nothing if you try hard enough.>>

Oh believe me, I'm the queen of trying too hard to get things done. However, after many years of being as young and idealistic as you are, and getting burned, I've learned to not put myself and my good ideas and talent out there, unless I know it's appreciated, and/or compensated.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck.

And, SIGH, I will still help you in any graphics way that you need.

--Michelle
MicheBel

Dreams

Post by MicheBel »

Message 423 of 4438  | 
Date:  Tue Dec 28, 2004  11:54 am
Subject:  Dreams

No, not at all. I encourage everyone to follow their dreams, no matter how ill-advised they may seem to others.
--Miche
(But thank you.)

--- In indie1031fm@yahoogroups.com, "mule" <snewell@e...> wrote:
> Five bucks says Miche is laughing their ass off. At least it can't be said
that good advice wasn't offered.
MicheBel

Indie's Own Promotions

Post by MicheBel »

Message 424 of 4438  | 
Date:  Tue Dec 28, 2004  12:04 pm
Subject:  Indie's Own Promotions

I still don't have a bloody Indie 103 sticker for my car, and I've been to a few Indie shows (Yes, I know, Jack, you have some...I'm just saying.) They aren't doing nearly enough to promote the station themselves, is the short answer. But they are a struggling station, just getting their sea legs and all, I'm sure that'll be solved soon.

Supposedly we are the "Street Team". Have they had us doing anything for them yet? We who are totally willing to volunteer to help Indie? Do they even read these boards? Who knows?

But yes, Robert, I am totally of the mindset that if there is an "Indie zine"
and/or "mag" that Indie should be the one doing it. Not some fans. And they aren't even utilizing the talent out here that would give its services willingly.
--Miche
Archive Bot

on jonsey's juke box today

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 426 of 4438  | 
Date:  Tue Dec 28, 2004  12:54 pm
Subject:  on jonsey's juke box today

there was a really funny parody of stairway to heaven on jonsey's show. anyone know who sings it and where i can find it?
Archive Bot

Re: Los Angeles Times

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 427 of 4438  | 
Date:  Tue Dec 28, 2004  1:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [indie1031fm] Los Angeles Times

It is an awesome article about Steve. Congrats Steve & Mr. Shovel!

mule <snewell@earthlink.net> wrote:
There's a new article on Jonesy in todays' Los Angeles Times.  Check it out!
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 430 of 4438  | 
Date:  Tue Dec 28, 2004  3:06 pm
Subject:  Re: Los Angeles Times

yea, i just read the article. quite nice. congrats to indie and everyone associated with them.
MicheBel

Re: Indie's Own Promotions

Post by MicheBel »

Message 431 of 4438  | 
Date:  Tue Dec 28, 2004  3:22 pm
Subject:  Re: Indie's Own Promotions

Dude--

I'll plaster them all over my naked body and walk down the streets giving them to people, if that would help Indie get more listeners. :-)
--Miche
(and how'd you get so many anyway?)

--- In indie1031fm@yahoogroups.com, "Jack L." <xxjack12xx@d...> wrote:
> Some? You mean a bunch ;P Want to help me pass them out!
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 435 of 4441 |
Date: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:39 pm
Subject: Re: [indie1031fm] Re: Los Angeles Times

yeah it was awesome finally more people are starting to recognize indie! horray!
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 438 of 4441 |
Date: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:56 pm
Subject: Re: [indie1031fm] Re: Indie Mag

i think i could help out
Archive Bot

"New" band - check it out! Life In A Blender

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 440 of 4441 |
Date: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:19 am
Subject: "New" band - check it out! Life In A Blender

I only just started listening to Indie 103 this fall, so if this is old news, please excuse the redundant information. If you like indie rock, you have to listen to Life In A Blender. I just got their 2002 (I think) album "Tell Me I'm Pretty" and it's outrageous!

Anybody heard of them?

Tom
Archive Bot

indie should play this.

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 442 of 4441 |
Date: Wed Dec 29, 2004 11:13 am
Subject: indie should play this.

these guys are called merz and they're pretty cool and they sound really great
http://www.merz.co.uk/news/
Last edited by Archive Bot on Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 443 of 4441 |
Date: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:17 pm
Subject: Re: Indie Mag

i could help distribute to local record shops.
Archive Bot

Jonesy is AWESOME

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 444 of 4441 |
Date: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:34 pm
Subject: Jonesy is AWESOME

when Jonesy plays Sigur Ros, I know Indie will always be the best! We need to have more music like this playing on the radio.
MicheBel

Signature Disclaimer

Post by MicheBel »

Message 445 of 4441 |
Date: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:05 pm
Subject: Signature Disclaimer

Can we just have a disclaimer at the top of the page, which says: DUDES, it's Louis XIV, "FINDING OUT TRUE LOVE IS BLIND"? Jeez!

--Miche
MicheBel

Post by MicheBel »

Message 446 of 4443 |
Date: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:07 pm
Subject: Re: Los Angeles Times

YEAH! Take that KROQ!

There's something that's gonna get a boatload of listeners in one fell swoop!

Congrats, guys!
--Miche

--- In indie1031fm@yahoogroups.com, "mule" <snewell@e...> wrote:
> There's a new article on Jonesy in todays' Los Angeles Times. Check it out!
Archive Bot

steve jones

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 447 of 4443 |
Date: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:29 pm
Subject: steve jones

I love you jonesy! will you donate some of your "boys" so I throw 'em in a blender with my ovaries and make some mini-jonesy's? your a hot old fart!~ oh yeah please keep playing Suicide and joy division on your show. xoxoxo
Archive Bot

song played today

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 448 of 4443 |
Date: Wed Dec 29, 2004 7:44 pm
Subject: song played today

Hi EVERYBODy!!

does anyone know the name to a song that played on TK's show today, Dec 29 at around 4:50ish, I think it p[layed before Ozomatli, and TK made a comment like "thats another band you first heard on this radio station"

thanks your helps' appreciated!

Amado
Archive Bot

Just Wanted to Say Hi

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 449 of 4443 |
Date: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:17 pm
Subject: Just Wanted to Say Hi

I love 103.1 I've been a loyal listener since last summer. I rarely tune into KROQ anymore. I love 103.1 plays an eclectic mix of both new and old alt-rock and punk. True alt-rock and punk without any of that teeny bopper stuff they are forced to play on KROQ. I say "forced" because I used to work for a giant radio conglomorate and KROQ is lucky that it gets away with as much as it does.
Archive Bot

New Years

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 450 of 4443 |
Date: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:25 pm
Subject: New Years

What are people getting up to for New Years?
Archive Bot

Song on Jonesy's Jukebox

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 452 of 4443 |
Date: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:09 am
Subject: Song on Jonesy's Jukebox

This morning at 6:55am-ish on the rebroadcast of Jonesy's Jukebox (last song of the hour) played a song, kinda "electronica", girl singing, very moody, real long fade out at the end of the song - who was it?

thx,
chris
Archive Bot

Re: Song on Jonesy's Jukebox

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 453 of 4443 |
Date: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:54 am
Subject: Re: Song on Jonesy's Jukebox

The site "Yes.com" will let you know the playlists in real time. The only time
it doesn't have a track is if it is not encoded & located in the system, but it has about 95% of the tracks.
http://www.yes.com

Hope that helps....
Archive Bot

I want to start sending messages

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 455 of 4443 |
Date: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:16 am
Subject: I want to start sending messages

Basically, the same. I would like to start sending messages. I think I discovered indie in April or May of this year.

--
Aerin Harris
pandakeeper@g...
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 456 of 4443 |
Date: Thu Dec 30, 2004 11:24 am

Cool site! But it didn't list the song I was looking for. :(

Chris
Archive Bot

livejournal community

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 459 of 4443 |
Date: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:34 pm
Subject: livejournal community

there's also a jonesy's jukebox community for livejournal users

http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml ... sysjukebox
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 460 of 4443 |
Date: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:44 pm

Well I know the last song yesterday was Angel by Massive Attack, but he also played a similar song SIgur ROs that I have no idea what the name is because all of their titles are in their native language, so that should at the very least narrow your search.
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 464 of 4443
Date: Thu Dec 30, 2004 1:45 pm
Subject: Re: Los Angeles Times

Their print circ on weekdays is about 900,000 with 2.4 million readers. What a great article too.
MicheBel

Post by MicheBel »

Message 465 of 4443 |
Date: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:05 pm

You know, I think they should post a playlist of Jonesey's shows too!

--M
MicheBel

Indie's First Song

Post by MicheBel »

Message 466 of 4443 |
Date: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:09 pm
Subject: Indie's First Song

You know, with all this hoo ha about Indie being one year old, I was wondering
if anyone remembered or knew what was the first song Indie played? Or the songs from that first day? Anyone?

Actually, it would be fun if people could talk about their experiences of first
hearing Indie, too. What was the song which made you go, HEY@! What's this? I wanna know.

--Michelle
Archive Bot

Re: Indie's First Song

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 467 of 4443 |
Date: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:36 pm
Subject: Re: Indie's First Song

I am curious to know to know the first ever song also.

First song I heard on Indie was "Kangaroo" by "This Mortal Coil" It seemed to be pre-programmed and there where no D.j.s at rhe time. It seemed so out of place on the commercial radio dial.
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 468 of 4449 |
Date: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:48 pm

I don't remember indies first song, but I do remember the first song that made me go, " ahhem, what is this?" And it was jonesy and he played cherechere by suicide and then he followed it up with something by stiff little fingers? I just know it was some sort of rotation like that early this past May? yeah. Today's playlist was AMAZING. Love Sovel he is great too.
MicheBel

Post by MicheBel »

Message 470 of 4449 |
Date: Thu Dec 30, 2004 4:08 pm

--- In indie1031fm@yahoogroups.com, "alexhothead" <alexhothead@y...> wrote:
> Today's playlist was AMAZING. Love Sovel he is great too.

Yeah, ain't he though? ;-)

I think I started semi-listening in about May too. My friend kept bugging me about the great music this station was playing, but whenever I tuned in, there were no DJs, which made me really suspicious that it was some Clear Channel pre-programmed crap. Silly me.

And he kept saying, But they have Henry Rollins! DJ-ing tunes! I shoulda known THEN that this was something special.

But I still held off. As I'd bop around the radio dial (I do a lot of driving), I'd get frustrated, and FINALLY opt for this Indie 103 thing. Invariably, they were playing a good song every time I landed there. So, I'd listen through the static, and no DJs. It wasn't until August that I actually plugged them into my car radio presets though.

And it really wasn't until I heard Mark Sovel's voice in a Check One Two ad (about September) that I finally went, Holy crap! This is a real radio station! and
started listening religiously.

And YES, YES, YES, I'm totally kicking myself about all the great music I missed
in that time. I will never live that down.

But at least I'm a full convert now. I love you, INDIE!
--Miche ;-)
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 473 of 4449 |
Date: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:51 am
Subject: Re: [indie1031fm] Re: Indie's First Song

I just remember last summer. I had been listening to indie for a couple of months. While I was driving, I heard the announcement of Jonsey's B-Day. I had no idea that Jonsey was Steve Jones!!! I thought he was an old, funny roadie or tech dude with lots of stories to tell.

That day I emailed Jonsey to rave about his solo work and tell him about my being so clueless. We exchanged emails for a week:-)

He is so awesome.
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 475 of 4449 |
Date: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:00 pm
Subject: Re: [indie1031fm] Re: Indie's First Song

i remember in the beginning, indie would play that gary jules, donny darko, song, i forgot what it was called. so yeah, i haven't heard it since
Archive Bot

Re: livejournal community

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 477 of 4449 |
Date: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:28 pm
Subject: Re: livejournal community

Thanks for that info Alisa! Didn't know he had a spot on LJ too.
Happy New Year's to everyone! Be safe..

Cindy
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 478 of 4449 |
Date: Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:39 pm
Subject: RE: [indie1031fm] Re: Indie's First Song

It’s called Mad World and it was actually a cover version. The original song was done in the 80’s by Tears for Fears. Both versions are great!
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 479 of 4449 |
Date: Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:54 pm

They were playing that song thursday while i was listening at work. I
love that song!!! Didn't know tears for fears did it first though:)
Archive Bot

Jonesy was ON FIRE , man!

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 480 of 4449 |
Date: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:59 pm
Subject: Jonesy was ON FIRE , man!

How about the Jukebox today! I almost pissed me pants when I realized the other british bloke was SAHID from LOST, whom I have lusted after since the English Patient. Then I almost fell out of my chair listening to them duet like old lovers. Everytime they would finish a song Jonesy was like "Want to go again? Yeaaaah"

Way to rock it out Jonesy! You still got it. And please please play the awesome song with you, Sahid, and Juliet again. I really loved it.

serena
Archive Bot

the best thing about jonesy

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 488 of 4449 |
Date: Mon Jan 3, 2005 12:01 am
Subject: the best thing about jonesy

the best thing about jonesy is that it makes me feel ok to be old and like good music :-)
Archive Bot

Re: the best thing about jonesy

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 489 of 4449 |
Date: Mon Jan 3, 2005 12:43 am
Subject: Re: the best thing about jonesy

The best thing about Jonesy is he actually replied to my first email I sent AND played my request AND played it first THAT DAY AND decided after my email to make the entire show that day all 80's due to my request.... which, yeah... made me also feel not too bad about being all old and liking that stuff!
(just didn't love the fact he called me "Crusty ol' Christy" on the air! lol)
~Christy
Archive Bot

E-mail the editor of "Under the Radar Mag"

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 491 of 4449 | Previous | Next [ Up Thread ] Message Index
Msg #
Date: Mon Jan 3, 2005 5:26 pm
Subject: E-mail the editor of "Under the Radar Mag"

There is a cool mag called "Under the Radar". They cover a lot of cool music & indie stuff. Visit http://www.undertheradarmag.com to see more about this group. They are based in Beverly Hills so can pop into see Jonsey any time for a chin wag.

The senior editor is Mark and his e-mail address is
mark@u...
You can cut and paste the message below or write your own version.

Hi Mark,

I would like to see my favorite radio station Indie 103.1 featured in
Under the Radar Magazine. I am sure that your readers would love to
find out more about the station's music, D.J's personalities and
general impact on the LA music scene. An article on Indie 103.1 would
be of great interest to your readers in Southern California and for
those who live stream from around the world.

Some of the stations better know D.J's include Steve Jones (Sex
Pistols) Billy Morrison (the Cult)Dave Navarro (Janes Addiction) Mat
Sorum (Guns & Roses, Henry Rollins + many more. There will be a lot
of common interest between indie 103.1 listeners and UTR readers.

This kind of article would certainly prompt me to pick up a copy of
Under The Radar magazine from the newsstand and share with my friends.

Indies website is http://www.indie1031.fm

Thanks for your consideration.
Archive Bot

Re: reception

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 493 of 4449 |
Date: Mon Jan 3, 2005 6:03 pm
Subject: Re: reception

The best solution in reducing noise is to wear ear plugs and then turn the radio very loud. The ear plugs then filter out the static and the volume seems normal to you. If you don't have ear plugs try toilet tissue. You may feel like an idiot driving around town with toilet paper in your ears but on the positive side it makes other indie listeners easy to indentify. :-)

--- In indie1031fm@yahoogroups.com, "desireesctt" <mspiggy@m...> wrote:
>
> I live in Upland and get great reception!!!
Archive Bot

signal

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 496 of 4449 |
Date: Tue Jan 4, 2005 10:11 am
Subject: signal

Finally, I can get indie to come through on my 50+ year old radio! Without foil!
MicheBel

Re: reception

Post by MicheBel »

Message 498 of 4449 |
Date: Tue Jan 4, 2005 3:40 pm
Subject: Re: reception

INDIE: Best heard with toilet paper in your ears.

Dude, not a catchy slogan.
Archive Bot

INDIE ROCKS! BUT....

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 503 of 4449 |
Date: Tue Jan 4, 2005 11:03 pm
Subject: INDIE ROCKS! BUT....

-- too much Social Distortion, Nirvana, and other KROQ shit;

-- not enough REAL indie tunes (where's Sonic Youth? Bauhaus? Kitchens of Distinction? My Bloody Valentine? Fischerspooner? Apples in Stereo??? All the other great tunes by bands like Nada Surf? etc etc etc)

-- Camp Freddy. These guys are like Kevin n Bean on KROQ mornings...so into hearing themselves yak and joke endlessly...so egotistical, so unfunny, so boring. WTF?

-- not enough Check One Two/Dead Air/Complete Control!!!

Stay away from the crap that KROQ plays, PLEASE! We all know where to find that stuff if we wanna hear it, which is...never.

And uh, d'ya think you could publish your playlists like KRCW does, since you DJS rarely if ever back-announce songs ( example: I listened to one great song for THREE MONTHS before I heard the track/artist name mentioned)...by putting your music lists online, that'd be no problem, good for the artists (I could buy their music) and good for YOU. A win-win scenario...PLEASE do it!

Other than that, keep up the great work!
Archive Bot

Re: INDIE ROCKS! BUT....

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 504 of 4449 |
Date: Tue Jan 4, 2005 11:14 pm
Subject: Re: INDIE ROCKS! BUT....

yea, the playlists would be a definite improvement for you guys, sure you have
the name of the song on the stream.... but what if we're listening in the car.... you
could get that info on your web page so we could check out what songs you played later when we can reach a computer. and there should also be a jonsey's juke box page, telling us what he played and maybe the guest he had on or something. you guys rock but can use some improvements. thanks for being indie!
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 505 of 4449 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 3:11 am

I agree with what you're saying. Indie is becomming rather repetitive. Too much SD, green day, U2, The Music, and so on. I remember when they said they wouldn't repeat so many songs like other stations do, but I don't see that. The only time I see variety is on Jonsey's show, Rollins and some of the other speciality shows. I wish this station would play more of a variety.

They could do away with Camp Freddy and Brent Bolthouse. As you put it, they're into themselves, but they're also boring and I'm tired of hearing star-fucker stories. Of course they won't get rid of those shows as they've been helping Indie by networking.
MicheBel

Post by MicheBel »

Message 508 of 4449 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 10:59 am

--- In indie1031fm@yahoogroups.com, kgb_101@h... wrote:
>> - Camp Freddy. These guys are like Kevin n Bean on KROQ mornings...so
> into hearing themselves yak and joke endlessly...so egotistical, so
> unfunny, so boring. WTF?

YEAH! The Camp Freddy morning show! What a great idea! They'd blow those Kevin and Bean jokers away! The problem would probably getting them to get up that early...

>> - not enough Check One Two/Dead Air/Complete Control!!!

TOTALLY AGREE! More Check One Two! ;-)

> And uh, d'ya think you could publish your playlists like KRCW does,
> since you DJS rarely if ever back-announce songs ( example: I listened
> to one great song for THREE MONTHS before I heard the track/artist
> name mentioned)...by putting your music lists online, that'd be no
> problem, good for the artists (I could buy their music) and good for
> YOU. A win-win scenario...PLEASE do it!

Oh man, I can't agree with this enough. Either a playlist, or get a damn DJ to announce the songs (if they are new and different and Indie's playing them first ESPECIALLY)
Last edited by MicheBel on Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MicheBel

Post by MicheBel »

Message 509 of 4449 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 11:02 am

--- In indie1031fm@yahoogroups.com, "decodedfeedback" <decodedfeedback@y...> wrote:

> They could do away with Camp Freddy and Brent Bolthouse. As you put
> it, they're into themselves, but they're also boring and I'm tired of
> hearing star-fucker stories. Of course they won't get rid of those
> shows as they've been helping Indie by networking.

Dude,
Have you noticed that we're in LA? Star-fuckers are what it's all about. Besides that nonsense they had with the girls of LA Weekly was damn funny. (It's great to see grown men make total fools of themselves for sex on air.)

--Miche
MicheBel

The KROQ Challenge

Post by MicheBel »

Message 510 of 4449 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 11:09 am
Subject: The KROQ Challenge

In contrast to what these guys have been saying in the last few posts...

I've pretty much had all my radios glued to Indie for the past few months. This morning, I decided to take the KROQ Challenge. (I suppose it should be the "Indie" Challenge, but I don't really regard Indie as the underdog anymore.) Anyway, I decided to see what each was playing.

The verdict?

KROQ:
Two songs that Indie played first. Kevin and Bean jabbering about some kind of sports crap. BLECH.

INDIE:
a new U2 song, The Mars Volta, a reggae song I'd never heard before which was really cool.

POINT: INDIE

Then, a bit later, I turn it on again.

KROQ has a phone-in interview with Hurley from "Lost." Well, sure, great idea. Lost is only the hottest show on TV, showing tonight. EXCEPT:

INDIE, LAST WEEK had Naveen Andrews (arguably a bigger star from LOST) IN STUDIO with Jonesy. Sorry, KROQ, Indie trumped you. (And big kudos to whomever from Indie thought of this. A truly BRILLIANT idea.)

POINT: INDIE

Indie wins, 2-0.
MicheBel

IGGY!

Post by MicheBel »

Message 511 of 4449 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 11:38 am
Subject: IGGY!

IGGY! IGGY! IGGY! IGGY! IGGY! IGGY! IGGY! IGGY! IGGY! IGGY!

Hot damn, I love this song. I love INDIE!

IGGY! IGGY! IGGY! IGGY! IGGY! IGGY! IGGY! IGGY! IGGY! IGGY!

Lust for Life, baby! Woo hoo!!!
MicheBel

Congrats to Dicky Barrett

Post by MicheBel »

Message 512 of 4449 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 12:18 pm
Subject: Congrats to Dicky Barrett

YAY!

Indie gets a morning show. This is like almost a real radio station now.

Can't wait to hear it.

Congratulations, DB.

--Miche
Archive Bot

So I don't like to hear Nirvana every two hours...does that.

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 513 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 12:45 pm
Subject: So I don't like to hear Nirvana every two hours...does that mean

...I'm "not an Indie fan" as some bozo sez above?

Ahem.

I was listening to KROQ in 1979 when they were still good. What were
YOU doing then? My guess is suckin yer mommy's tits.

And let it be known that I LOVE Nirvana...I just don't need to hear
them so often, esp. after 15 years of them, and not enough of all the
OTHER great bands out there.

Cool?
MicheBel

Sex Tramp

Post by MicheBel »

Message 517 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 12:56 pm
Subject: Sex Tramp

I swear, there are moments (many of them) listening to Jonesy, when I
feel like people must've felt who listened to Edward R. Murrow's war
broadcasts, or Wolfman Jack in the 50s, or just some of the seminal
things of radio. Seriously. Just the way they mix it up, and make it
real. It's a thing of beauty.

Like today, with Def Leppard doing "Sex Tramp!" (Sex Pistols music
with Supertramp lyrics). It was incredible. Be sure to check out the
rebroadcast if you happened to miss it.

This is seminal radio, folks. If you're not already listening, what
the HELL are you waiting for?
Archive Bot

Re: Congrats to Dicky Barrett

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 520 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 1:14 pm
Subject: Re: Congrats to Dicky Barrett

Yeah, I actually love the Mighty Mighty Bosstones and I was so happy that Dicky has been contributing to Indie since pretty much its inception. Plus, I really enjoyed the Punk Rock Minute and I've been misisng it and him lately. From what it sounds like, he's going to be playing some great tunes, too. Good Luck, Dicky!
Archive Bot

I do love Jonesy SO much but . . .

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 522 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 1:15 pm
Subject: I do love Jonesy SO much but . . .

Chelsea? oh well, at least he does talk about football on a fairly regular basis. Good to have an on-air radio personality talk passionately about the beautiful game. who needs Jim Rome anyway? Oh yeah, and the music is WAAAAAAAAY better!
Archive Bot

playlists and junk

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 524 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 1:24 pm
Subject: playlists and junk

Grr, why am I getting emails in digest form, I hate digest form, rawr. Anyways, yes, too much whatever it was that someoen posted. Beastie boys too, need to get rid of that, its not a rap station! Also, need more complete control! And morning shows, bleh! I only listen to Indie in the morning because there isn't a morning show. Morning shows are for the other stations that have bad music and want to spare people from listening to it (like KROQ). And there are playlists for indie, its at http://www.yes.net where the rest of the radio station playlists are.

~Jack~
Archive Bot

Re: I do love Jonesy SO much but . . .

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 525 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 1:30 pm
Subject: Re: I do love Jonesy SO much but . . .

Haha I take it you're a fan of the opposing team? Yeah, I don't follow sports at all, much less international sports, but it's great just to hear Jonesy and it doens't even bother me that he talks about football a lot. I still find it amusing and entertaining. Are you yourself from England? I think it's so cool that the station has a nationwide and international following.

And thanks for listening!
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 526 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 1:36 pm

no, I'm actually a California native but a big soccer fan and, since we don't have much here to get excited about, I turn to the English Premier League. Additionally, I've also always been a "brit-o-phile" so I just lap this stuff up. Thanks so much for being here!
Archive Bot

Re: playlists and junk

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 528 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 1:41 pm
Subject: Re: playlists and junk

Hm, I'm not a big fan of rap either (especially if it's on an indie/alt station) but I've got to admit, I really enjoyed hearing old school Beasties on Indie. I was never even a fan of theirs really, until I heard some of their older songs on here, like Pass the Mic and The New Style. I don't know, but to me it doesn't really interrupt the flow of the other music on Indie, in my opinion. Like the few Beasties songs they play tend to be the more rock-oriented songs.

As for morning shows, I don't know if you were listneing to Jonesy today or read the above recent posts, but good news for you: Indie is finally getting a morning show. It's going to be hosted by Dicky Barret of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones (and voice of the Punk Rock Minute). However, he said he's probably going to start off by playing some Clash and Beastie Boys. haha Bummer for you, man. But anyways, it's going to air Mon-Fri, 7am-10am
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 529 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 1:49 pm

--- In indie1031fm@yahoogroups.com, "Jack L." <xxjack12xx@d...> wrote:
> And there are playlists for indie, its at http://www.yes.net where the rest of the radio station playlists are.
>

EXCELLENT! That's the most helpful thing I've found here...thank you much for the link!
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 530 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 1:53 pm

I agree with Sire about the Beasties . . . I don't feel that they fall square into the rap category and that, as artists who have bridged several categories and maintained credibility, they have a place here on indie103.1. As much as I dislike rap in it's common form, as with any type of music it does occasionally manifest itself in a compelling way - take a listen to The Streets for a good example. I feel much the same way about certain offerings from the Beastie Boys.

On the point of the morning show, I gotta fall in line behind Jack. I'm gonna be skeptical and Dickie B is gonna have to avoid falling into the schtick trap to make it work for real 103.1 listeners
Archive Bot

Re: Sex Tramp

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 531 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 1:54 pm
Subject: Re: Sex Tramp

--- In indie1031fm@yahoogroups.com, michebel@y... wrote:.
>> Like today, with Def Leppard doing "Sex Tramp!" (Sex Pistols music
> with Supertramp lyrics). It was incredible. Be sure to check out the
> rebroadcast if you happened to miss it.>>

Agreed...it was such a bustup when they were singing "DreeeaaamMEERR!" just like John Lydon would ;-)
Archive Bot

Re: Sex Tramp

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 532 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 1:56 pm
Subject: Re: Sex Tramp

today is, indeed, one of those glorious days. who would have thunk it with Def Leppard?
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 534 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 2:19 pm

The Chelsea talk is a bit light weight. Jonesy was brought up on the White City
Estate in Shepherds Bush, west London - next door to Queens Park Rangers football club and he was a fan of that team as a kid. In the UK changing football teams is NOT the done thing!

Martin
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 536 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 2:29 pm

martin - you bring up a question I've always had on this subject. If your team falls out of the premiership is it excusable to "adopt" a premiership team until your team gains promotion? or do you just ignore the top league until you make it back? as a yank, of course, I have no real perspective on this issue of promotion and relegation. would love to see it in american sports, however.
MicheBel

Dicky's show

Post by MicheBel »

Message 538 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 2:47 pm
Subject: Dicky's show

--- In indie1031fm@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <randbservices@y...> wrote:
> On the point of the morning show...Dickie B is gonna have to avoid falling
> into the schtick trap to make it work for real 103.1 listeners
>

As opposed to "fake" 103.1 listeners? ;-)

Besides, punks don't do "schtick".
Archive Bot

So I don't like to hear Nirvana every two hours...does that

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 539 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 2:55 pm
Subject: Re: [indie1031fm] So I don't like to hear Nirvana every two hours...does that mean

Shit my friend....I just saw Social Distortion in November....I was in the pit...lost my damm cell phone, credit cards AND I.D. Without us "oldies" you wouldn't HAVE alt/punk music. You'd just be playing Muskrat Love on your Dulcimer, wearing tie dyed tee shirts and wondering where all the free love was and debating if Morrison is really dead.
Archive Bot

Re: Dicky's show

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 540 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 2:59 pm
Subject: Re: Dicky's show

ok ... "real 103.1 listeners" was admittedly cliche, my bad. hey, I'm rooting for Dickie and this station all the way, but let us all not forget that Clearchannel still has a little finger in this thing and I do worry that the idea of a "morning show" was hatched by one of those corporate types.
Archive Bot

Re: So I don't like to hear Nirvana every two hours...

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 541 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 3:05 pm
Subject: Re: So I don't like to hear Nirvana every two hours...does that mean

right on, Kristee! I can still slam dance with the best of them. one other thing, "kids", we didn't go through the alienation and ridicule 20 some odd years ago so that you can cut up your leather and jeans, spike up your hair and listen to Blink or Good Charlotte. Give us some credit . . . we've seen it all and it just keeps coming back around again
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 548 of 4456 | Previous | Next [ Up Thread ] Message Index
Msg #
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 3:28 pm
Subject: RE: [indie1031fm] Re: So I don't like to hear Nirvana every two hours...does that mean

AMEN. It's not like today where every other week kids are Goth or Emo or god knows what. When we were kids, being a punk was a statement. A rejection of all that our parents stood for and what the eighties meant. I admit that I like my punk tinged with some pop and could never get into GBH, Crass or ANti Nowhere League. But that was just ME. And that my friend is what being a punk all boiled down to, being you for you and not what mommy or daddy wanted or keeping up with the Jonses (pardon the pun). I have a saying: Old punks don't die, they just grow their hair, have kids and buy mini vans.
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 550 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 3:34 pm

nevermind rejection from parents, I lost a lot of friends when I was one of the first punks at my high school . . . that was harder to deal with at that age but I never regretted it. and, hey Kristee, right there with ya on the minivan but some of us lose our hair!
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 551 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 3:53 pm
Subject: RE: [indie1031fm] Re: So I don't like to hear Nirvana every two hours...does that mean

I looked like Barbie and when I cut my hair my mom just about poped a gasket. My dad was a surfer in the 60's and he iaid to her look, she's an honor's student and she's not robbing banks or raping neighbor kids. Give her a break. My group of friends were all pretty much evolving into the whole punk thing at the same time. The people that were shocked that I would cut off my long blonde hair (heavy eye roll hear) could kiss my green Irish ASS. Fuckem, I always said. Now my son is a 16 year old straight edge punk. I am his cross to bear, lemme tell ya.
Archive Bot

jimmy eat world

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 553 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 4:04 pm
Subject: jimmy eat world

I don't get why you play these guys. Playing them seems to put you too close to the KROQ range. Maybe I'm missing something. Otherwise, you guys are amazing and have definitely made LA radio worth listening to. Thanks.
Archive Bot

So I don't like to hear Nirvana every two hours...

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 555 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 4:06 pm
Subject: Re: [indie1031fm] So I don't like to hear Nirvana every two hours...does that mean

So the pot has affected your ability to read as well. I said I was 41 and I never stated that I was a pioneer of punk. But I sure as shit was at the Nest watching Black Flag, Shattered Faith, Politcal Crap, Social D, X and that lot while your mom and dad were doing the horizontal bomp in the back of the 1975 Chevy van with shag carpet and Led Zepplin blarin' from the eight track.
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 557 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 4:15 pm

yes, I eventually developed much stronger friendships with others who followed the punk path. I, too, have a 16 year old boy who I know share my love of music with. He doesn't know how lucky he is to have a Dad like me who not only takes him to shows but jumps around more than he does. My 13 year old daughter is another story . . . she doesn't understand ME and MY music . . . how's that for irony?

so, are Irish asses really green?
Archive Bot

Post by Archive Bot »

Message 560 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 4:18 pm

ah the Cuckoo's Nest . . . yes, my home away from home back then. and, yes, we did have to fight off the cowboys from Zubie's next door.
MicheBel

Re: Dickie's show

Post by MicheBel »

Message 563 of 4456 |
Date: Wed Jan 5, 2005 4:36 pm
Subject: Re: Dickie's show

Corporate types don't like actual people to speak on air. They just want plugged in music and lots of ads. The more that Indie goes against that, the better. IMHO

Besides, which didn't someone say that Dickie was involved with Indie from its inception? So good, they put him on air with a show finally. 'Bout time.

And give up on the Clear Channel thing already. It's ENTRAVISION. End of story.