Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

Bright Eyes

Post by obiwankobe »

Bright Eyes
Motion Sickness
[Team Love; 2005]
Rating: 7.0

Bright Eyes' new live album, cobbled together from recordings of the I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning tour, opens with the requisite applause. Buried in this applause a female voice shouts, "Conor, I love you!". Not "you rock," not "I love your music," but "I love you." It's a helpful clue toward understanding his widespread popularity-- Oberst's intimate, earnest music is calibrated for maximum personal identification; it's an invitation for fans to feel not just privy to his private life, but complicit in it. The magnetism of the music is in its jolts of recognition, those moments when mental states that one thought were private, from within the solipsism of youth, are revealed as universal.

Another telling audience response occurs during the quiet rendition of "Landlocked Blues", when a smattering of cheers follows the line "If you love something, give it away." It could refer to Oberst's songs, with their tacit promise to not simply entertain, but to unveil something of the messy humanity of their author. In fact, it's a summary of Oberst's entire lyrical perspective and the collective twentysomething suburban worldview it excavates, an expression of the tension between two conflicting desires: For lasting security and galvanizing change. Musically, Oberst finds himself in a similarly transitional state, somewhere between the tortured no-fi manqué he was and the mellowed country singer he's becoming, and the same tension that enriches his lyrics creates some minor hitches in his musical delivery.

The Bright Eyes I grew up with-- literally, we being the same age-- was always best on his own. I must've seen him play at least 10 times in my late teens and early twenties, and the most memorable performance of them all was a post-Fevers and Mirrors solo show where he shuddered, sweated, whispered, and howled over shattered-glass chords. Emotional and musical nudity make good bedfellows. And while all those vocal tics are still intact, they've been subdued-- probably for the best, in the long run. But for now, he sounds like he's still working out a new way of singing that suits the thicker country-rock arrangements he began to favor on Lifted, sometimes faltering in a sort of stifled mid-range.

His band is tight, but Oberst sounds a bit tense and weighed down on heavily embellished tracks like "At the Bottom of Everything" and Lua B-side "True Blue". The tuneless protest song "When the President Talks to God" is another hat that doesn't quite fit, although it's pretty clearly included for political and not musical reasons, and draws approving screams from the audience. Oberst trips over a cover of Feist's wonderful "Mushaboom", failing to really own its tripping melody, faring better on Elliot Smith's "The Biggest Lie". But the most glaring example of Oberst attempting to overwrite the old Bright Eyes comes with Fevers and Mirrors' "A Scale, a Mirror and Those Indifferent Clocks", here tellingly billed simply as "Scale". Instead of reproducing its original muzziness, he couches it in I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning's genial country style, and it sounds good, if a little defanged.

Barring "True Blue" and "When the President Talks to God", each of which weds overly clever lyrics to lackluster arrangements, nothing on Motion Sickness falls terribly flat-- the several uncertain-sounding tunes are simply a bit tepid, and the remainder are lovely. Oberst sounds great on "Make War", against its lean backdrop of guitar, pedal steel and light percussion, working the dreamy melody with aplomb and timing his screams effectively with the musical crescendos. On "Landlocked Blues" he seems relaxed, comfortable amid the barely-there guitars. His voice softens and opens up, threading a tremulous quaver through its easy melody. When the horn section makes a late appearance, it's effective, punctuating the quiet expanse that came before it. "Method Acting" plays well, avoiding swollen gestures in favor of sharp, driving rock, and "Southern State" is terrific, as Oberst sings confidently over a gentle arrangement including a horn solo that's expressive, not bombastic. He simply doesn't wear bombast as convincingly as he once did, and seems to know it-- this album finds him maneuvering toward a new equilibrium, one that's shaping up, judging from its most successful tracks, to be as measured and deliberate as his old songs were anarchic and accidental.

-Brian Howe, November 16, 2005
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Great article. I like the way he describes why fans feel so connected to Conor. It's great that the author has followed Conor's career so closely. I don't think that most people really get how how much Bright Eyes has changed... not even taking into consideration all the obscure early stuff, Fevers and Mirrors was so oddly composed, the melodies skipped akwardly (greatness)... and although you can still hear a little bit of that in Lifted, the new albums have more sweet and stable melodies. I love it all.
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

pitchfork baby!
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

UGH!!!!! I was hoping I wouldn't regret my compliment!! Well, it must be an outside job.... like a borrowed article. Or maybe Brian Howe is the only one that hasn't been ruined by the rest at Pitchfork.
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

I smelled the unimagined, snobby, pretentious craftwork of Pitchfork a mile away from the first two sentences and stopped reading thereafter. Bwahahaha :twisted:
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

BEGIN TRANSMISSION

MAD RHINO FLASHMAIL 11/15/05

Rhino Records
http://www.rhinorecords.cc
Mad Platter
http://www.madplatter.cc
Video Paradiso
http://www.videoparadiso.net

This is an indie store exclusive! Conor Oberst
had every night recorded this year on the worldwide
tour & has picked out the songs and has worked on
the release over the last month. There is
extensive packaging including a tour diary written by
the band's drummer & the disc itself includes 15
previously unreleased live recordings. Get it at
Rhino or the Mad Platter for $11.99 while supplies
last

Track Listing:

At the Bottom of Everything 3:44
We Are Nowhere and It's Now 4:01
Old Soul Song 4:07
Make War (short version) 0:43
Make War (long version) 5:41
Scale 2:22
Landlocked Blues 5:51
Method Acting 3:41
Train Underwater 5:59
When the President Talks to God 3:27
Road to Joy 5:56
Mushaboom 2:44
True Blue 5:41
Southern State 4:40
The Biggest Lie 2:48

END TRANSMISSION
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."