Amoeba Music Plans Online Store, Record Label (l.a. times)

Anything music or band related.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

Amoeba Music Plans Online Store, Record Label (l.a. times)

Post by obiwankobe »

Amoeba Music Plans Online Store, Record Label

Brick-n-mortar CD stores and online music outlets may seem diabolically opposed, but more retailers are attempting to thread the two environments. As musical tastes shift away from mainstream genres and toward multiple niches, legendary record shop Amoeba Music is eyeing an opportunity. The company just revealed plans to present music fans with an edgy online music service based on its first-rate knowledge of bands and artists. With popular outlets in three key US cities, including its legendary Haight-Ashbury shop in San Francisco, the chain also confirmed plans to launch its own record label. "We're starting the 21st century now," company co-founder Dave Prinz told the LA Times. "The internet is changing everything. We were ignoring it." The report points out that while other music retail outlets have felt the pinch of file-sharing and the end of the CD replacement cycle, Amoeba only saw sales flatten this year.

But anyone who has trekked to Amoeba for a musical fix would hardly know the difference. The secret is that the store caters to the tastes of hardcore music fans, instead of more mainstream (and declining) record buyers. The first CD from the label will be a 1969 unreleased live concert from country-rock pioneer Gram Parsons. "Amoeba will also release an album featuring the Robin Nolan Trio, a Gypsy jazz group inspired by Django Reinhardt, and Brandi Shearer," the report states. That fits in well with the underlying Amoeba attitude, and is likely to elevate the company’s overall business.

Story by news analyst Jonny Evans.

Amoeba Music

LA Times "Record Chain Bets on the Past, Future"
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Amoeba is over-whelming... I go crazy in there.
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

I stay away on purpose, same reason
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

My wife bought me an Amoeba gift certificate online for my birthday. I'll probably go next weekend and spend it & more. It's a drive from Upland but it will be well worth it. I usually haunt Rhino in Claremont for new & used. Saw John Doe play an in-store solo acoustic gig there a few months back. Awesome!
I'm in shape! Round is a shape!
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

Cool beans Robert! He seems like a genuinely nice guy.....oh yes, and welcome aboard!!!!
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

Thanks for the welcome, Gidge. I appreciate it. I found the link to this forum on Jade's page and read through some posts. You all seem like a fun group so I thought I would join in. I'm not usually too chatty but when I have something I think is worth saying, I'll post it.
RKP
I'm in shape! Round is a shape!
gidgetgoestohell

We ARE a nice group.....it seems that the bloggers over at Jonsey are having a devil of a time over there with flamers so somebody posted the link to here.....Just in case Jonsey closes it down.....

I just hope that we don't end up with a bunch of flamers because we have, for the most part, existed as the unit of active posters that you see now and I'd hate to see a good thing end up in the condition that that blog is in now....plus, Jack is gracious enough to host the place and deserves all the credit for giving us a safe place to natter on at....

We also have a few people that just read and post occasionally.....again, welcome to Jack's Shack and enjoy your stay!!!
Gidge

biLzamo

well

Post by biLzamo »

it seems like the boards are "viewed" quite a bit more than they get posted on.
"The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers."

- Doug McKenzie
gidgetgoestohell

You are right biLzamo....like I said before, there are about six regulars that post daily and then there are about another six that watch what's going on and post when they have something to say....
Gidge

*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Being watched is creepy.
-Julian Casablancas
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

you are all a bunch of "flamers"

-tom

*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Ahahaha
-Julian Casablancas
biLzamo

yes

Post by biLzamo »

That photo is a testament to the strength of New Yorker's post 9/11.
"The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers."

- Doug McKenzie
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

He just got out of a Strokes / Interpol show
-tom

*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Do you enjoy being disliked?
-Julian Casablancas