Indie Rock Tribute To 80s Film Tunes (CMJ)

Anything music or band related.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

Indie Rock Tribute To 80s Film Tunes (CMJ)

Post by obiwankobe »

Indie Rock Tribute To 80s Film Tunes
Nov 28, 2005
Story by: Monica Monzingo

The new compilation High School Reunion - A Tribute To Those Great 80's Films (Laundromat Records) is just in time for the nostalgic holidays. While everyone's chillin' 'round the evergreen wearing some wicked flannel and getting high on mistletoe, you can spin the Dresden Dolls cover of the Psychedelic Furs' "Pretty In Pink." Muse-thrower Kristin Hersh contributes a slowed-down, acoustic version of the Pixies' "Wave Of Mutilation" to the compilation and the Pixies' Frank Black covers the title track from the Emilio Estevez classic Repo Man. There are also covers from classic flicks like Weird Science, The Breakfast Club, and Fast Times At Ridgemont High, among others. Though the songs lack the synthed-out luster and gnarly grimy quality of the true 80s, it's replaced with the contemplative hindsight of the finest indie rockers of our time. The perfect gift for the aging-hipster in your family!

Tracklist For High School Reunion:
01. Somebody's Baby - John P. Strohm
02. A Million Miles Away - Dipsomaniacs
03. American Girl - Matthew Sweet
04. Turning Japanese - Blank Pages
05. Weird Science - The Bennies
06. Don't You (Forget About Me) - Lori McKenna
07. In Your Eyes - AM
08. If You Were Here - Kitty Hawk
09. Little Bitch - Nova Social
10. Love My Way - The Modifiers
11. Bring On The Dancing Horses - The Atomic Hep Cats
12. Moving In Stereo - The Commons
13. Pretty In Pink - The Dresden Dolls
14. Wave Of Mutilation - Kristin Hersh
15. Please Please Please Let Me... - The Caulfield Sisters
16. I Melt With You - Underdog
17. Danke Schoen - The Wading Girl
18. Repo Man - Frank Black
19. I Go Crazy - PC Muñoz
20. Within Your Reach - Bastards Of Melody

http://www.americanlaundromatrecords.com
Artist Links
ThrowingMusic.com
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Ooooh, it has Say Anything's In Your Eyes!
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

*Annie* wrote:Ooooh, it has Say Anything's In Your Eyes!
Now only if it came with John Cusack....*SIGH*
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

*Annie* wrote:Ooooh, it has Say Anything's In Your Eyes!
it sounds better as "In Your Thighs"
"The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers."

- Doug McKenzie
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Hahaha, especially since they play it during the "love scene"
-Julian Casablancas
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Shame on both of you!!!! Please!!! Some respect for the great Cusack!! He's another one of my future husbands.
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

I loooove Say Anything and I love John Cusack. But that song is played when they're in the backseat, remember?
-Julian Casablancas
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

How can I forget.....*SIGH* Too bad men like that don't really exist...
~Gooch

biLzamo

?

Post by biLzamo »

Gooch wrote:How can I forget.....*SIGH* Too bad men like that don't really exist...
He exists, his name is John Cussak.

- Doug McKenzie
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Gooch wrote:How can I forget.....*SIGH* Too bad men like that don't really exist...
"men like that"... I don't know. A guy who'll bang you in the backseat of your own car and then tell his friends about it.... I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding one.
-Julian Casablancas
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Haha!!! I was talking about the romantic aspect of it. Guys to bang in the back of a car are a dime a dozen.
~Gooch

gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

Gang bank schmang a dang dang.....

Mr. Cussak is a horse of a different color AND on my son's approved list.......
Last edited by gidgetgoestohell on Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
biLzamo

Ok

Post by biLzamo »

I'm going to put an end to the Waiting to Exhale club. Guys who act like John Cussak only gets the girl because it's a cheesey movie. There's plenty of those nice, romantic guys out there, it's just the only guys you want are the jerks.

:lol:

- Doug McKenzie
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!
-Julian Casablancas
Gooch

Re: Ok

Post by Gooch »

biLzamo wrote:I'm going to put an end to the Waiting to Exhale club. Guys who act like John Cussak only gets the girl because it's a cheesey movie. There's plenty of those nice, romantic guys out there, it's just the only guys you want are the jerks.

So not true!!! I haven't found one yet that I like and is willing to like me back....which in turn would turn into the fairy tale of living happily ever after...*SIGH* Obviously, for it to work it has to be a mutual thing....you know?
Fuck...I hate being a hopeless romantic....it gets me no one and no where....
~Gooch

biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

Gooch wrote:
biLzamo wrote:I'm going to put an end to the Waiting to Exhale club. Guys who act like John Cussak only gets the girl because it's a cheesey movie. There's plenty of those nice, romantic guys out there, it's just the only guys you want are the jerks.

So not true!!! I haven't found one yet that I like and is willing to like me back....which in turn would turn into the fairy tale of living happily ever after...*SIGH* Obviously, for it to work it has to be a mutual thing....you know?
goochie, there are a million guys out there and they all want you. you just have to open your eyes.

- Doug McKenzie
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

biLzamo wrote:
Gooch wrote:

goochie, there are a million guys out there and they all want you. you just have to open your eyes.
To quote the great Moz...."I want the one I can't have and its driving me mad.....its all over, all over, all over my face...."
~Gooch

biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

Gooch wrote:
biLzamo wrote:
Gooch wrote: So not true!!! I haven't found one yet that I like and is willing to like me back....which in turn would turn into the fairy tale of living happily ever after...*SIGH* Obviously, for it to work it has to be a mutual thing....you know?
To quote the great Moz...."I want the one I can't have and its driving me mad.....its all over, all over, all over my face...."
Of course, Moz is gay, you cant have him.

- Doug McKenzie
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

biLzamo wrote:
Gooch wrote:
biLzamo wrote: goochie, there are a million guys out there and they all want you. you just have to open your eyes.
Of course, Moz is gay, you cant have him.
Yeah...I know...but I'm willing to take Cusack in a heartbeat! He's still single and straight!
~Gooch