Free Nellie (la times)

Anything music or band related.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

Free Nellie (la times)

Post by obiwankobe »

McKay gets vocal about her label's plan
At a local performance, the singer decries Columbia's insistence on releasing a shorter version of her new album than she planned.
By Richard Cromelin
Times Staff Writer

December 2, 2005

Sony Music USA recently resolved a messy, high-profile dispute with singer Fiona Apple, but now the record corporation is facing a showdown with another acclaimed and temperamental artist.

The conflict between Sony's Columbia Records label and singer-songwriter Nellie McKay over the content of her upcoming second album flared up in public this week when McKay launched into an extended, tearful outburst during her performance Tuesday at the Troubadour in West Hollywood.

The 20-year-old singer, known for her sophisticated pop-cabaret songs, social activism and emotional demeanor, told the audience that she wants her upcoming album, "Pretty Little Head," to contain 23 songs and run 65 minutes, but that the label plans to release a 16-song, 48-minute version.

She encouraged her fans to write to Columbia in protest, and spelled out the e-mail address of Columbia Records Group Chairman Will Botwin.

After berating an audience member who told her to stop talking and sing, McKay appeared to break down in tears.

"It's not fair, it's not fair to anyone what they're doing," she said.

"The corporations are raping the world. I know that everyone is gonna grow up and, you know, get cynical and everything. I can't, I still care too much. This is driving me insane."

The situation recalls the recent struggle between Sony's Epic label and Apple, in which the singer-songwriter briefly quit music altogether because she thought that the company was imposing restrictions on the recording of her album "Extraordinary Machine."

Before relations were repaired, the incident had become a cause célèbre, inspiring a "Free Fiona" movement among the singer's fans.

During an interview before the Troubadour show, McKay said she is inclined to make a similar move.

"I just really feel that if the 65-minute album doesn't happen, it's the end of my relations with Sony, because if this is the music business, I don't want to be in the music business," said the singer, whose 2004 debut album, "Get Away From Me," sold 104,000 copies and made a strong showing in year-end "best-of" lists.

"I feel the 48-minute version is not representative," she said. "I don't consider that my album.

"I think if they put that out they should say it's 'Pretty Little Head' by the Sony Corporation. If they put out the 65 minutes it's by Nellie McKay....

"I really feel that the album breathes better at the 65-minute version."

"Pretty Little Head" is scheduled to be released Jan. 3.

A Columbia spokesman said Thursday that Botwin was unavailable due to illness and that no one else at the company could comment on the issue.
If you want other stories on this topic, search the Archives at latimes.com/archives.
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

Burn Sony Down!
"The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers."

- Doug McKenzie
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

She's good too
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley