Iggy

Anything music or band related.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

Iggy

Post by obiwankobe »

Iggy and the Stooges Recording New LP, Planning Tour

Kati Llewellyn and Amy Phillips report:
Grandma might want to bring earplugs on this year's Florida getaway, because Iggy Pop and the reunited Stooges are currently working on a new album in a Sunshine State cottage, Billboard.com reports.

Steve Albini in slated to produce, with Jack White helping out on several tracks. The disc will be the Stooges' first release since 1973, and it's set to land via Virgin next year. In support of the as-of-yet-untitled album, the crew will embark on their first-ever extensive reunion tour.

Of writing with Scott and Ron Asheton again, Pop told Billboard.com, "All the same passions and problems are there, but the problems are in a more muted style. I'm still the showoff in the group that gets all the attention. Everyone has their role. It's pretty much the way it was in high school."

"We experimented a lot," he continued with regard to the record's sound. "We're stubborn people. We could have just started out and in 10 minutes we would have sounded like us, but that would have been too easy. We'd have these get-togethers every two or three months for four or five days and bang out stuff. As time went on it started to sound more and more like us."

Bass god Mike Watt (Minutemen, fIREHOSE, etc.) will continue to fill in on the four-string for original Stooges bassist Dave Alexander, who died in 1975. Watt wrote Pitchfork via email, "Last week, I got a CD-R from Iggy with thirteen tunes-- "secret plan" was written on it. They were demos with Iggy singing into a MiniDisc, with Scotty on a little kid drum set, and Ronnie on a tiny guitar amp, all done in Iggy's pad in Miami. Ig told me to get some bass lines going but plan on three days with just me and him in August there in Miami to nail down what he wants on bass."

The Stooges have a handful of overseas dates scheduled for May and June. They'll also put in an appearance at the Thurston Moore-curated Nightmare Before Christmas edition of the All Tomorrow's Parties festival, taking place December 8-10 in Somerset, England.http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/news/06-04/18.shtml
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley