The Brigg....thanks to HBSteels

Anything music or band related.

Moderator: Admin

gidgetgoestohell

The Brigg....thanks to HBSteels

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

There's a resurgence in punk music, according to The Brigg manager, Kevin "Brick" Brickman. Once featured in a Penthouse magazine article documenting the post-punk movement that got its beginnings in Huntington Beach, The Brigg is not in any way trying to bring back that era, according to their manager, booking agent and club renovator. See Huntington Beach Events calendar band bookings at THE BRIGG.

What the manager and his boss who owns the club, NBA basketball star Cherokee Parks have discovered, however, is an extreme sports crowd seeking high energy music reminiscent of the punk era, minus the destruction of that phase of the music's genesis and cultural development. It's been 25-years since the punk rock scene entered Huntington Beach and The Brigg embraces the old bands and the new bands coming out of Huntington Beach today.

But first, roll back 25 years when Golden Bear profits were in decline and that well known Huntington Beach dinner night club was about to shut its doors, the punk scene had become a solid hit in Huntington Beach. A sampling of band names from that the mid to late 1980s include: Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Adolescents, D.O.A., Minutemen, Sam Hain, Poison 13, Bad Religion, Black Flag (appearing at the Fleetwood with Agent Orange), China White, Disposals, Succubus, SWA, T.S.O.L and Secret Service. Concerts the 30+ crowd may have seen from that era included Dickies vs. Toy Dolls with Special Guest Bend Over and Smile from Behind the Orange Curtain at the Hollywood Palladium January 17, 1986.

For those who remember that era and the bands that sprang forth, The Brigg walls and ceilings provide a walk down memory lane. Now in rehab, the club that was known as Kozmos, is getting new paint, new band staging and a new crowd. Two pool tables, lots of seating with tables, chairs and comfortable cushions, lighting and accents of red and black provide a casual, comfortable, open night club look. A huge 'HB' decorates the flooring, signifying the club's love of location. Although Cherokee Parks left Huntington Beach to attend school and play basketball first at Duke University, then for a variety of professional NBA ball teams, he was born in Huntington and returned to his home town, carving out a path as a business man. His hand-picked staff that includes Brick, are loyal Huntington Beach locals, too.

"Skateboarders, BMX'ers, snowboarders, FMX'ers and people seeking something exciting and different are finding out about The Brigg Huntington Beach," said Brick. Working day and night, his passion to create a theme night club is reflected in everything from a unique polished stainless door with a skateboard wheel set used as a door handle.

Drop by to check out The Brigg for cocktails and live music. Open every day "for life", doors open at 4 p.m. Happy Hour goes from 4 to 7 p.m. with $2 Drafts, $3 Well and $1 Pabst Beer Draft. The club includes 2 pool tables, 6 TVs, projection screen and jukebox.

Location: 17208 Pacific Coast Highway, Huntington Beach, CA 92649 Call: (562) 592-2200. http://www.thebrigghb.com
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

Since I have to drive to Orange & back every work day, I don't get down that way on the weekend very often. The Brigg sounds fun but I haven't been there yet. I sure have fond memories of The Golden Bear, though. I used to go there for shows anytime I could. Fun place.
I'm in shape! Round is a shape!