Mike Watt...

Anything music or band related.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

Mike Watt...

Post by obiwankobe »

Former Minuteman, current Stooge, and all-around inspiring guy Mike Watt's most recent recording gig made us smile so much that we just had to share it. (And so did that picture!)

Watt tells us that over the past two weeks, he spent a couple of days in the studio laying down bass tracks for Kelly Clarkson's new album. (That would be the follow-up to 2004's Breakaway--the one with "Since U Been Gone" on it.) He did such a good job of explaining it himself in the emails he sent to Pitchfork that we'll just let him do what he does best and spiel:

"The producer/engineer David Kahne is an old friend, and that's why I was asked aboard, though the guitarist and co-songwriter, Jimmy Messer, knew all about my history and was very enthusiastic; he's a great cat. Actually, it was pretty interesting. I didn't [know] what to expect, but [Kahne] had me trying all kinds of tripping stuff. Altogether, I played on six [songs]. They were already recorded, and I was replacing and adding in bass.

"Everyone there gave me much respect even with me being nervous, big time at first. I knew nothing of Kelly Clarkson before this but can tell you, in my opinion, that she can sing her ass off. Man, she's got pipes and goes for it. She also didn't have any airs or a big posse of sycophants and was just plain up-front people, which to me is very happening 'cause I ain't so used to all the fronting that can go [on] in some scenes.

"It was a challenge too 'cause it was much different than where I've been with music, but different is good, especially when what the people involved wanted was to hear someone working a bass like they meant it, and that's where I've always tried to come from.

"When [Clarkson] had to bail, she said to [Kahne], 'I think the old punk guy idea's a good one,' and we all laughed. It's just studio stuff, and I haven't been asked to be in any band for a gig or tour.

"I got lots going with the Stooges. Iggy called me just a little bit ago and said the album sounds great. Wow, I can't wait to hear it." Neither can we.

Watt is keeping busy with a ton of touring, including three weeks with his Mike Watt and the Missingmen trio supporting Red Hot Chili Peppers in Europe, four shows with the Stooges, and a handful of sets with Dos and Banyan. He's calling it the "Parallel Universes" tour.

Mike Watt and the Missingmen dates:

11-23 Nijmegen, Netherlands - Doornroosje
11-24 Hamburg, Germany - Colorline Arena *
11-25 Dusseldorf, Germany - Zakk
11-26 Frankfurt, Germany - Festhalle *
11-27 Stuttgart, Germany - Schleyerhalle *
11-29 Milan, Italy - Fila Forum *
11-30 Milan, Italy - Fila Forum *
12-01 Dudingen, Switzerland - Bad Bonn
12-03 Zurich, Switzerland - Hallenstadion *
12-04 Zurich, Switzerland - Hallenstadion *
12-06 Vienna, Austria - Stadthalle *
12-07 Vienna, Austria - Stadthalle *
12-09 Copenhagen, Denmark - The Forum *
12-11 Stockholm, Sweden - The Globe *
12-12 Stockholm, Sweden - The Globe *
12-30 Boulder, CO - The Boulder Theatre #
12-31 Boulder, CO - The Boulder Theatre #

* with Red Hot Chili Peppers
# with Rose Hill Drive

Iggy Pop and the Stooges dates:

12-02 Skopje, Macedonia - Taksirat 8 Festival
12-05 Riga, Latvia - The Riga Arena
12-08 Somerset, England - Butlins Minehead (ATP's Nightmare Before Christmas)
12-10 Somerset, England - Butlins Minehead (ATP's Nightmare Before Christmas)

Dos dates:

12-16 Los Angeles, CA - The Smell
02-17 San Francisco, CA - The Hemlock Tavern

Banyan dates:

12-19 Los Angeles, CA - The Mint
12-20 Long Beach, CA - Di Piazza's
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley