Kick Ass Katrina Compelation

Anything music or band related.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

Kick Ass Katrina Compelation

Post by obiwankobe »

New Tom Waits, Death Cab on Katrina Benefit Comp

Timothy Najmolhoda reports:
Once again, the hipster community is getting off its cynical butt and joining the Hurricane Katrina relief movement. According to Billboard.com, America's top source of mass-marketed bohemian couture, Urban Outfitters, in cahoots with Filter Magazine, will release a two-disc, 28-track benefit album in mid-October. It's the second charity compilation these trendy behemoths have midwifed, following February's double-disc for Asian tsunami relief.

The album will contain previously unreleased cuts from Death Cab for Cutie, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Tom Vek, the Double, Amusement Parks on Fire, and Laura Cantrell, alongside rare songs and album tracks from Gang of Four, British Sea Power, Beck, Calexico, Blonde Redhead, Low, and many others.

Leading off the currently untitled compilation is a new version of Tom Waits' "Little Drop of Poison", featuring the Kronos Quartet. This will be the third time Waits has recorded the song. It previously appeared on two soundtracks: last year's Shrek 2, which I'm sure all of you have in your collections, and Wim Wenders' 1997 film The End of Violence. TV on the Radio's Bush-bashing "Dry Drunk Emperor" will appear on disc for the first time, having been available as a download on the Touch & Go records' website for the past month.

Billboard.com reports that Urban Outfitters and Filter plan to produce 10,000 copies of the benefit album, and expect to raise $150,000. (I guess that means it will cost fifteen bucks.) They'll be hawking it at 80 UO locations across the country, but if you just can't bear to be seen standing next to a pile of "Jesus Is My Homeboy" t-shirts, not even in the name of charity, the CD will also be for sale on the store's website. Just don't let your friends see your credit card statement. Tracklist:

Disc One:
01 Tom Waits with the Kronos Quartet - Little Drop of Poison *
02 TV on the Radio - Dry Drunk Emperor
03 Gang of Four - Natural's Not in It (Ladytron remix)
04 British Sea Power - Be Gone
05 Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Mercy *
06 Grandaddy - Pull the Curtains
07 Death Cab For Cutie - Jealousy Rides With Me *
08 Tom Vek - Blessing in Disguise *
09 The Noisettes - Don't Give Up
10 Diamond Nights A Kiss To Tell
11 The Double - Freaky Freedom *
12 Giant Drag - Smashing
13 Amusement Parks On Fire - Blackout *
14 The Album Leaf - Micro Melodies

Disc Two:
01 Beck - Broken Drum (Boards of Canada remix)
02 Calexico - Quattro (Gotan Project remix)
03 Blonde Redhead - Melody (French version)
04 Hail Social - Hands Are Tied
05 Of Montreal - Wraith Pinned to the Mist and Other Games
06 Mazarin - The New American Apathy
07 The Joggers - Empty Vessel, Half-Full
08 Devics - The Salty Seas *
09 Calla - It Dawned On Me
10 Favourite Sons - Things That We Do to Each Other *
11 Low - Monkey (Fog remix)
12 Lansing-Dreiden - First Response
13 Laura Cantrell - Hammer and Nails *
14 Sigur Rós - Glósóli

* previously unreleased
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley