Cat Power

Anything music or band related.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

Cat Power

Post by obiwankobe »

Exclusive: Cat Power Album Details Revealed

Ryan Dombal and Amy Phillips report:
We thought it wasn't possible, but Cat Power just keeps getting sexier. Chan Marshall's forthcoming album, The Greatest, (due January 26 on Matador), continues the trend of her guest turn on Handsome Boy Modeling School's "I've Been Thinking", turning the indie rock chanteuse into a simmering Southern diva. Listen to her purr and just try not to want to make babies.

As previously reported, The Greatest was recorded at Ardent Studios in Memphis, Tennessee, with a murderer's row of veteran session musicians, including members of the Hi and Stax Records house bands. The record is steeped in the R&B and country traditions, with lots of horns and thick, smoky grooves. The title track sounds like an outtake from Dusty in Memphis, "Islands" and "Empty Shell" are future honky tonk jukebox staples, while "Could We" is upbeat funk. "Living Proof" should be covered by Shelby Lynne or Van Morrison. "Willie" is a condensed version of the song "Willie Deadwilder" from her Speaking for Trees CD/DVD.

In other words, this album smells like incense, barbecue, and sweat. Get naked to this tracklist (which is, ahem, subject to change, apparently):

01 The Greatest
02 Could We
03 Lived in Bars
04 Islands
05 After It All
06 The Moon
07 Living Proof
08 Empty Shell
09 Willie
10 Where Is My Love
11 Hate
12 Love & Communication

Marshall will support the album with a full tour next year, featuring musicians from the recording. Don't expect any on-stage meltdowns, though, ‘cause those guys don't have time for that shit. But if meltdowns are your thing, she'll be crossing the country solo starting on Wednesday, and there won't be anything or anybody protecting her from the big, bad world. Dates:

10-12 Oberlin, OH - Dionysus
10-13 Baltimore, MD - Ottobar
10-14 Charlottesville, VA - Satellite Ballroom
10-16 Asheville, NC - The Orange Peel
10-17 Nashville, TN - Mercy Lounge
10-18 Memphis, TN - Hi-Tone
10-20 Springfield, MO - Randy Bacon Gallery
10-21 Columbia, MO - Mojo's
10-22 Urbana, IL - Canopy Club
10-23 Chicago, IL - Park West
10-25 Columbus, OH - Wexner Center for the Arts
10-26 Louisville, KY - Bromhard Theater
11-04 Paris, France - La Cigale *
11-14 New York, NY - Tribeca Performing Arts Center #

* with The Rakes, the Blood Arm, the Organ
# with Blind Boys of Alabama
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

bum-bum-bum!
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas