Where the Hell is the Mighty Morning Show?!?!?!?!?

Talk about the Indie 103.1 shows.

Moderator: Admin

gidgetgoestohell

Go Reflex

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

The following is from the lead singer of The Adolescents, Tony Reflex, who has been on the music scene for well over 25 years. He is not only a band member of this seminal band, but a highly educated man who knows his stuff...I give the floor to Mr. Reflex.....

It is CLEARLY obvious that I cannot come to agreement with my former favorite radio station about one of their (they say former) funding agents, but I agree with them that we have taken that discussion as far as we can. The truth will come out with the next merger or two, just like last time.

Our band space is open for anyone (including blog space) to discuss the ties- or lack of, depending on what your sources are- of clear channel and "indie"103, past and present.

Either way, learn a little about the companies that decide what you are allowed to hear on the radio, see on television, and see on the roads you drive on. As a world citizen you owe it to yourself to understand what commercials, "branding," and product placements are all about, and find out if the corporations behind the visual and aural bombardment of shit for sale are promoting freedom and INDEPENDENCE- or if they are spoonfeeding you conformity and trying to deplete your pocketbook selling you a bunch of crap you don't really need so that you'll "fit in."

"Indie" continue to have an open invitation to debate and assert their position. That's more than they give to us.

Starting tomorrow I will start looking closely at ENTRAVISION- a media advertising agency, and ask you to think about this company- Entravision- who own THOUSANDS of billboards, and hundreds of radio and television stations in the major latino "markets" of the United States. They also own "Indie" 103 fm.

I encourage you to start with the links indie has offered about ENTRAVISION- and ask yourselves if it is truly "INDEPENDENT" to utilize airspace to huck billboards and airtime.

I fully recognize that it is the nature of commercial radio to huck commercials. In fact, when the commercials increased during my beloved Mighty Morning Show, I recognized that this was the trade-off. It was OK- that meant they were selling ad space- and that meant my favorite show was serving its purpose- or so I thought- in the eyes of the media conglomerate, whoever the hell they REALLY are. It would logically imply that they would be on the air for a while. oops.

so. let's take a look at the interesting fact that "Indie" is owned by a corporation that hucks billboard space, and dialogue a while about whether that falls in our collective punk rock (and American) ideal known as "independent."

I also want to remind "Indie" that they called us boneheads, ignorant, and asswipes, therefore, I am ready to.... uh.... take it to the next level...... of intellectual naiveté.

party on garth.
Last edited by gidgetgoestohell on Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
java

Post by java »

Have to admit I did the ole MSN Search on Robbie Fields... :oops:
Logic: The Art Of Being Wrong With Confidence
MicheBel

letter writing

Post by MicheBel »

LATaurus wrote:thank you Robert
If Dicky still thinks there's a point in writing them, then write I shall........
Um, Dicky's been fired. He's not exactly the best source on this...

I'm just sayin....

There is no point, other than being annoying, in writing. It won't change a thing.
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
jr

Post by jr »

it is the shangri-la of dirty words
the ultimate
the las vegas of all filthy words and i bestow it
on the her...
although she wears it like a crown
marytr that she is...
"nobody likes me and everyone gangs up on me...."
no wonder...
look at where you are...
suck it
12 bellz... YOU DO UNDERSTAND??!!
cranguy

Post by cranguy »

Hey all

Just to let you know, I heard from someone close to Dolores today about her Mighty Morning Show cancellation, and it looks like the "stuck in traffic" excuse was indeed bollocks:

http://www.zombieguide.com/cnews1142.php
Alex
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

ha! further evidence of steele's basic incompetence

(I was actually wondering if Dolores somehow heard the show, and refused to participate due to its excessive lameness)

from the link above:

A source close to Dolores tells Zombieguide that Indie 103 originally planned to have a phone interview with Dolores (not an in-person appearance) for their St. Patrick's Day show. However, since the show planned to broadcast remotely from Dublin, they realized shortly after scheduling that they would not have the proper equipment to relay a phone call on air. Dolores was never scheduled to appear in person.

Therefore, the phone interview was cancelled shortly after it was scheduled, yet the show's hosts mistakenly continued to report that she would indeed appear. The hosts' later excuse that Dolores was "stuck in traffic," according to the source, was completely false.
robert

Post by robert »

Thanks Cranguy
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

Did anyone listen this morning?
LALALA

Post by LALALA »

Nope. See above in the chat thread.
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

right... me either.... I'm just wondering who hosted and how much it sucked
LALALA

Post by LALALA »

My sources indicate that today's host was the rat fink, Joe Escalante. Defrauder of band members and usurper of former radio disk jockeys glory.
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

thanks for the info!
jr

Post by jr »

i like joe
but i still wont listen to him in the morning
damn it
robert

Post by robert »

I love the Vandals, and when Joe is on stage shaking his ass on top of a wall of speakers its great.

Not really fantastic for the morning. His on-air persona left me wanting... but then again, i wasnt a big Dicky fan in the begining.
jr

Post by jr »

joe is ALMOST as sarcastic as me.....
i like that in a man, woman or punk.
it gives me hope.
LALALA

Post by LALALA »

You all might want to ask the ORIGINAL Vandals how they feel about Joe. But this is neither the place nor the thread to discuss Mr. Escalante.
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

well, I'm all ears, so feel free to start a separate thread on that very topic!

:D
OneOldPunk

Post by OneOldPunk »

LATaurus wrote:well, I'm all ears, so feel free to start a separate thread on that very topic!

:D
Don't even get me started on that guy!
I feel all itchy!
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

c'mon, OOP, tell me!!!

I'm bored.... and I hate to be out of the loop.

:cry:
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Joe reminds me of a weasel...
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
LALALA

Post by LALALA »

On that account I must confess I agree and concurr wholeheartedly. In fact, I believe him to be a weasel or at least the same species.
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

This was posted on the Adolescents' myspace blog......

Monday, April 03, 2006

goddamn the radio sure sucks thes days.......

My friend Bruce told my friends that I've lost my mind trying to demonstrate this CC/Entravision connection.

However~ I find connection's all over the place, and regardless of the FCC denying the actual "on paper" merger- there are just too many interesting bits of information that make me continue to be highly suspect that there is an agreement woven through the tentacles that stretch form one of these neo-conservative corporations to the other.

I found these companies linked in odd and interesting ways: HBC (which no longer exists because they merged with Univision, they were owned bu Clear Channel and those shares remained in the merger), Clear Channel, Univision, Entravision, and Citicasters. I added bolding and italics throughout this email.

Before all of that stuff though.......

I thought this might interest you.

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/KDLD

The station has recently come under fire from long time listeners for the unwarranted and inexplicable firing of Dicky Barrett, host of the Mighty Morning Show. Barrett was unceremoniously fired on Friday, March 24, 2006, despite strong ratings and critical approval. Listeners are calling for a boycott of all Indie 103.1 sponsors and advertisers. Currently, former Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro is hosting what can only be called the Mighty Boring Show. Richard Michael Barrett (born June 22, 1964) in (Providence, Rhode Island), better known as Dicky Barrett, was the frontman of skacore band The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. ...

I found this bit of trivia

KIIS currently enjoys the highest ratings in the Los Angeles Radio Market.

Owner Citicasters

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/KIIS_FM

I again ask you, "Why would two people (Steele and Giorrocco) leave the top station in Los Angeles- and assumedly best paying station-to go to KDLE and presumably take a pay cut?" Considering these are two business people involved in sales- why would they take personal pay cuts? For the love of the job?

Citicasters, btw- interesting CC affiliate company that left antennae laying around so that Entravision stations could adopt them

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/a ... 2486A1.txt

Univision- who own 15% of Entravision (that'spart of what went down last year with the Feds, btw- a decrease of Uni owned shares from 30% to 10% by 2009) are an interesting papa company, almost sound like CC Espanol.......

Their politics? 2003 statement in Counterpunch http://www.counterpunch.org/landau05132003.html

Politically, Clear Channel and Univision represent the neo-conservative-fundamentalist Christian world view in both the ideological and business sense.

http://dir.salon.com/story/tech/feature ... index.html

Clear Channel and Univision boast many similarities. Neither is known for the originality of its programming. Both are run by conservative, politically active billionaire Republicans, and both exert tremendous, near-monopoly power in their markets.

Okeedokee. So there it is. Dicky pissed them off with the pro-choice spiel, regardless of whether they admit it. All things I find indicate the show was doing pretty good- to the point they increased on air from 3 to 4 hours. Check this stuff out.

This is a filed Annual Form 10K dated March 2006. The station earned money for the company, a significant enough amount that it is mentioned in the form 10K earnings for 2005.

http://www.getfilings.com/o0001193125-0 ... toc32802_2

QUOTES

We generate revenue from sales of national and local advertising time on television and radio stations and advertising on our billboards.

Univision currently owns less than 15% of our common stock on a fully-converted basis........

Univision is the holder of all of our issued and outstanding Class U common stock. The Class U common stock has limited voting rights and does not include the right to elect directors. However, as the holder of all of our issued and outstanding Class U common stock, Univision currently has the right to approve any merger, consolidation or other business combination involving our company.....

Univision acts as the Company's exclusive sales representative for the sale of all national advertising aired on Univision-affiliate television stations. During the years ended December 31, 2005 and 2004, the amount paid by the Company to Univision in this capacity was $9.3 and $9.6 million, respectively.

Year Ended December 31, 2005 Compared to Year Ended December 31, 2004

Consolidated Operations

Net Revenue. Net revenue increased to $281.0 million for the year ended December 31, 2005 from $259.1 million for the year ended December 31, 2004, an increase of $21.9 million. Of the overall increase, $10.3 million came from our television segment. The increase from this segment was primarily attributable to an increase in local and national advertising sales, primarily attributable to increased advertising sold (referred to as "inventory" in our industry). Additionally, $8.3 million of the overall increase came from our radio segment. The increase from this segment was primarily attributable to an increase in local advertising rates, as well as revenue associated with radio station KBMB-FM acquired in the second half of 2004 and radio station KDLD-FM/KDLE-FM.

Those lying bastards. They were doing FINE. Entravision made 8 Million in part due to KDLD.

This next part is business crap that came from an article.

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/S ... iteid=yhoo

Analyst John Klim said that although he doesn't see himself as a radio bear, the stocks are "too expensive to recommend," based on his view of the industry's long-term growth potential.

Radio has been in a slump for more than two years, amid a weak local ad environment, the increased use of portable digital-music players, and the perception that traditional radio consists of stale, repetitive playlists and too many commercials......

Although radio has taken steps to limit ad time on the air, it's fighting notions that have persisted for years. The industry is also battling the emergence of satellite radio, which has generated much media attention over the last year or so.

On a long-term basis, Klim expects radio revenue growth to be up by a low-to-mid-single digit percentage. "Local advertisers will continue to view radio as a cost-effective way to reach a specific demographic," he added.

Keep in mind that yields in radio +billboard were weak according to this article. The analyst's point regarding the steady customer/listener as a specific demographic should be considered. The problem that the geniuses in marketing at "Corporate 103" haven't figured out is that their ~target market~ may not necessarily be that of KROQ- and in fact may include older "alt" professionals such as myself who own property, cars, and- for what it's worth- actually use the services provided by their sponsors.

(but then again, this is the team that brought us that dumbass indie guy voice which is just fooking annoying. we are not stupid slackers, though some programming genius from nebraska may think so.....)

there ya go. from yer pal,

t (~stickin' it to the man since 1963)
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

All I can say is those numbers are piss poor compared to Apple/I-tune/i-pods numbers.

I still blame Miche.
MicheBel

um...

Post by MicheBel »

Well, I'm reading this and reading this, and I just can't find anything about Clear Channel. Maybe someone can help me?

Plus, this is two years old...

Oh, and someone might want to find an Arbitron ratings book (for the MMS) and post those figures too...Just to be absolutely clear.

Thanks!
--Miche
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
obiwankobe

Re: um...

Post by obiwankobe »

MicheBel wrote:Well, I'm reading this and reading this, and I just can't find anything about Clear Channel. Maybe someone can help me?

Plus, this is two years old...

Oh, and someone might want to find an Arbitron ratings book (for the MMS) and post those figures too...Just to be absolutely clear.

Thanks!
--Miche
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

MMS = MicheBel Morning Show??!?!?!

?!?!?!!?!?
"The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers."

- Doug McKenzie
java

Post by java »

hmmmmm
OneOldPunk

Post by OneOldPunk »

biLzamo wrote:MMS = MicheBel Morning Show??!?!?!

?!?!?!!?!?
Michebel Menopause Show!
I feel all itchy!
java

Post by java »

For Gooch: MMS= Morrissey Morning Show Let the swoon begin! :lol:
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

java wrote:For Gooch: MMS= Morrissey Morning Show Let the swoon begin! :lol:
Java....have I told you I love you? :wink:
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
java

Post by java »

:oops: :D
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I knew it!
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Glenn wrote:I knew it!
Knew what?
~Gooch

LALALA

Post by LALALA »

Please, people. Stay on topic. Friendly conversation amongst yourself is prohibited.
Nancy was a groupie, never trust a junkie! Not even one in recovery!
java

Post by java »

ok..now..what was the topic again?? :lol:
LALALA

Post by LALALA »

Glenn seems to know something that Gooch doesn't.
rotter

Post by rotter »

The Gootch is cute.....like a cute lil' penquin. :lol:
LALALA

Post by LALALA »

Rotter, back on topic.
java

Post by java »

LALALA wrote:Rotter, back on topic.
LOL..never gonna happen!
LALALA

Post by LALALA »

This I know. :)
java

Post by java »

:)
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

This is from Stuart's blog:

Last Show...

Maybe some people never heard the last show...

I can make an edited version ( without music and adverts ) available if
there is any interest.

Leave a comment and i will get an email .

http://mightymorningshow.blogspot.com/
MicheBel

the last one

Post by MicheBel »

Ah, the last MMS show. The one that ended, fittingly, with LADYTRON's Destroy Everything You Touch...

Sigh. I remember it well.

--M :cry:
Last edited by MicheBel on Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
gidgetgoestohell

Shut it.
Gidge

jr

Re: the last one

Post by jr »

MicheBel wrote:Ah, the last MMS show. The one that ended, oh so fittingly, with LADYTRON's Destroy Everything You Touch...

Sigh. I remember it well.

--M :cry:
THIS IS WHY EVERYONE HATES YOU.
THIS IS A PERFECT CAPSULE OF ALL THE SHIT YOU SPEW
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

This was just posted at LAVoice. I have not seen email addresses for anyone at Entravision so I thought I'd pass them along. I have a lot of emails to send them that I had only been able to send to Steele so far... I'm excited!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Take a minute to send Michael Steele and Dawn Girooco's bosses an email. Let's not forget, not only were they stupid enough to fire Dicky, they lied about it as well!

Walter Ulloa - CEO wulloa@entravision.com
Philip Wilkinson - President & COO pwilkinson@entravision.com
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

Did anyone see this on Stuart's blog today?

YAY for Blue C!!!

http://bluecusa.com/press/article.php?id=000023

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blue C Bids Farewell To Dicky Barrett On INDIE 103.1FM

By Lauren Youman

04/07/2006

As of March 24th, 2006, a true friend to the Blue C family as well as to those who embody the independent ethos, Dicky Barrett, was released from the Los Angeles radio station Indie 103.1FM. Dicky known also as the lead singer and frontman for the legendary Mighty Mighty Bostones and also from the Jimmy Kimmel Show led the revolution of Independent music for what it should be.

Since taking over the morning airwaves in Los Angeles, Dicky Barrett has been a major proponent of quality radio programming, exposing hungry listening audiences to local incredible artists whom would never find rotation on major market radio stations. Truly a unique voice amongst his peers, Dicky was extremely supportive of the people of Los Angeles, so much so that he was kind enough to have us in the studio with him on more than one occasion to show his own support for the ever-growing off-road lifestyle.

We received this from Dicky recently and would like to pass it on.

Some people choose to just wave flags, and that's enough for them, while others go through life with what they believe in running through their veins. I'm the latter. The best Mighty Morning Shows had guests on the show that were passionate, and truly believed in what it is they were doing with their lives. Whether it was music, sports, art, making movies, writing books, cooking food, painting houses, it doesn't matter, if they were passionate, and true, they were my kind of guest. Nothing could bog a Morning Radio Show down faster, or kill a good thing quicker, then a part timer or a flag waver.

- Dicky Barrett via email to Blue C

We at Blue C would like to personally thank Dicky Barrett for his unflinching support of the independent spirit that resides in all of us; a spirit which he himself shines as a positive example of. He will truly be missed.
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

rotter wrote:The Gootch is cute.....like a cute lil' penquin. :lol:
:oops: :P :oops:
~Gooch

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

Is anyone still listening to Indie in the mornings? I'm wondering what kind of crap they're serving up this week....
gidgetgoestohell

I gave it about five minutes this morning...BORING...I'd rather listen to Kevin and Bean....it's bad LA...really bad....
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

Was there a live person hosting or were they going Jack-style?

I have more or less gone back to K&B while getting ready for work. I turn down most of the sucky songs and just listen to the chatter. Their guy Ralph is pretty funny, without him the show would totally blow.

In the car I switch around a lot more or listen to cd's, but it's a short drive to work and then I just play mp3's on my computer.

Air America radio is pretty good in the morning if you like to get good and pissed before you even get to the office.... :evil:
gidgetgoestohell

It was that Alex cretin...I listened and went..SANORE....he was asking whether or not he could eat a turkey wrap that he had purchased at Trader Joe's the night before and hadn't refrigerated...I was like...if he is THAT dumb...how bad is the show??? Turned the channel...I agree with the KROQ music assesment...but at least the talking part is entertaining....
Gidge

jr

Post by jr »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:It was that Alex cretin...I listened and went..SANORE....he was asking whether or not he could eat a turkey wrap that he had purchased at Trader Joe's the night before and hadn't refrigerated...I was like...if he is THAT dumb...how bad is the show??? Turned the channel...I agree with the KROQ music assesment...but at least the talking part is entertaining....
they had a talk about punk rock music and what constitutes "punk" etc...
i wanted to call in and say.... ya know I dont care if you play "punk" or what have you... good music is good music whatever you want to label it, but for GODS SAKE STOP PLAYING THE SAME 10 SONGS.....!!!
thank you...
ps- Variety is very PUNK!!!
robert

Post by robert »

LATaurus wrote:Was there a live person hosting or were they going Jack-style?

I have more or less gone back to K&B while getting ready for work. I turn down most of the sucky songs and just listen to the chatter. Their guy Ralph is pretty funny, without him the show would totally blow.
Repectfully disagee. Ralph has his high points, but lacks overall. There has been a sever decline in that show since 94.
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

robert wrote:
LATaurus wrote:Was there a live person hosting or were they going Jack-style?

Repectfully disagee. Ralph has his high points, but lacks overall. There has been a sever decline in that show since 94.
I agree the show has seen much better days... I still think he's the highlight, without him I doubt I'd listen at all.
gidgetgoestohell

See...and I like Laquisha.....
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

me too, Gidge

I also enjoy the showbiz updates.
gidgetgoestohell

Yeah...cuz Ralph walks the movie beat....
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

still, it's not the punk rock minute :cry:
java

Post by java »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:It was that Alex cretin...I listened and went..SANORE....he was asking whether or not he could eat a turkey wrap that he had purchased at Trader Joe's the night before and hadn't refrigerated...I was like...if he is THAT dumb...how bad is the show??? Turned the channel...I agree with the KROQ music assesment...but at least the talking part is entertaining....
Alex was a bore...not quite scraping the bottom of the barrel...but awfully close....
gidgetgoestohell

LATaurus wrote:still, it's not the punk rock minute :cry:
Nope and neither are Dicky.....nope nope nope....not even close....
Gidge

MicheBel

Yay Alex!

Post by MicheBel »

I thought Alex was wondrous! I loved his bits, his banter, the way he ran everything.

Did you hear his EdJEWcational Minute for Hannukah? Very interesting, and educational.

I hope they bring him back a lot.

--M
rotter

Post by rotter »

Miche loved "his bits" :lol:
MicheBel

ze bits

Post by MicheBel »

Aw, not as much as I love your "bits", Rotter. :wink:

heh

--M
zzzzzzz

Re: Yay Alex!

Post by zzzzzzz »

MicheBel wrote:I thought Alex was wondrous! I loved his bits, his banter, the way he ran everything.

Did you hear his EdJEWcational Minute for Hannukah? Very interesting, and educational.

I hope they bring him back a lot.

--M
who cares what you think?
no one,
you have no clue
and you are the biggest pain ever.
get lost.
MicheBel

Chuck in the AM

Post by MicheBel »

There's an ignore button. Use it.

Meanwhile, the wondrous Chuck P. is hosting the Morning Show tomorrow. Now there's something well worth listening to! :D
gidgetgoestohell

So....who died and made YOU cruise director? It has been requested of me by the management here NOT to click the ignore button so that I can keep an eye on you and your bullshit...be forwarned....I will NOT hesitate to tell Jack if you cross one more line....
Gidge

rotter

Post by rotter »

:lol: fuck meeeee.....this is makin' my balls ache :lol:
gidgetgoestohell

Sounds like you have your underwear on backwards again, Rotty...remember....the label goes in the BACK and the little flappy exit whole for you pee pee goes infront....
Gidge

rotter

Post by rotter »

I'm wearin Miches panties... :wink: My peepee is happy. :lol:
gidgetgoestohell

No wonder your balls ache....with the size of those panties....your teabag must be banging your knees right about now....

Gidge

LATaurus

Re: Yay Alex!

Post by LATaurus »

zzzzzzz wrote:
MicheBel wrote:
who cares what you think?
no one,
you have no clue
and you are the biggest pain ever.
get lost.