Where the Hell is the Mighty Morning Show?!?!?!?!?

Talk about the Indie 103.1 shows.

Moderator: Admin

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

Yesterday I wrote to Doug Benson on myspace... he was one of Dicky's last guests (perhaps THE last)

Here's what he said:

i don't know all the details yet, but dicky doesn't seem too upset, because he wasn't thrilled with the playlists they were forcing on him anyway.
-d

So I think Dicky was a casualty of the KROQ-ifying of Indie.... forced playlists.... I embraced Indie and the MMS because I was sick of the repetition on KROQ. Not long ago I wrote Indie a love letter telling them how they were showing KROQ how alternative radio should be done.... boy, do I feel stupid now, it turns out Indie really just wants to be just like KROQ. What a joke.
rocknrolldetox

Post by rocknrolldetox »

Yesterday I wrote to Doug Benson on myspace
Dude I did the same thing!
jr

Re: MMS

Post by jr »

Stuartmm wrote:Even the jonesy blogs with the crazies stayed up for a long time.

I am very extremely pissed about this as some of you know already know and it seems to have been a sudden decision. I think indie is chasing the myspace kids demo rather than the group that made the station recognised in the first place. When there are groups of people who have a closed group for talking about Jonesy show rather than open forums like this, i think, that shows the mindset . They dont really like the music just that they can be in a clique. Thats myspace all over .
yeah... thanks stuartmm.... speaking as one of the crazies... and people who dont really like the music.... i can say that i am deeply saddened by the end of the MMS... and DICKY was (is) a true talent.. he will be missed.
NOW... back to myspace cliques and listening to the air blow... insert expletive of choice....
cheers!!
12 bellz... YOU DO UNDERSTAND??!!
jack
Site Admin

Post by jack »

Bah.. myspace...
jr

Post by jr »

jack wrote:Bah.. myspace...
Bah... generalities...
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I bethca KROQ cpy has something to do with this whole affair.

I can just imagine evil laughter right now.
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

What the ??? Mighty Morning Show Missing at 103.1***

150 Reads

UPDATES BELOW

Woke up this morning to the whiplash news that Dicky Barrett's Mighty Morning Show on Indie 103.1 is no longer on the air or the web. It's vanished, as if it never existed, with no explanation from station management to be found. See UPDATE.

This is either a week-early April Fool's gag, a falling-out, or a wilfully blockheaded bit of deprogramming on Indie's part. Barrett's 3-hour slab of punk, pop and wicked nonsense was a gritty little rhinestone shining up from the blah-blah muck of morning drivetime in Los Angeles. You can still find listings of podcasts of his interviews with Quentin Tarantino, Jeff Daniels and others, but the man is gone from the airwaves.

Right now the airspace seems to be on autopilot - a string of station promos, ads, traffic, surf reports and the occasional tune ("Dancing with Myself" - an ironic choice) ... MEDIA
I'm gonna try to dig into this shocker a bit more, and I've pinged music director Mark "Mr. Shovel" Sovel and program director Michael Steele.

This is like learning that your neighborhood's beloved coffee shop has been vaporized by the Vogons to make way for an interstellar bypass. The listeners deserve some kind of explanation.

UPDATES:

8:50: A listener reports someone is now deleting comments about the missing show from Indie's MySpace page.

9:20: Some anonymous woman just broke into the robo-programming to announce a ticket giveaway and flubbed her lines. Some guy chimed in, "You're good!" She then giggled "Thank you, Chuck!"

What is going on up there?

11:45: The official word: Steele is hunting for Dicky's replacement, according to AllAccess.com:

Indie 103-1 Has Mighty Mighty Morning Show Opening

ENTRAVISION Alternative KDLD-KDLE (INDIE 103-1)/LOS ANGELES morning man/lead singer of THE MIGHTY MIGHTY BOSSTONES DICKY BARRETT has exited to focus fulltime on the JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE show.

INDIE 103-1 PD MICHAEL STEELE is actively looking for a new morning show. Send your stuff to msteele@entravision.com or INDIE 103-1, MICHAEL STEELE, 5700 Wilshire Blvd. Suite #250, LOS ANGELES, CA 90036.

Over at indie1031.musirc.com the occasional nugget of information is poking up through the flood of tears, reposted letters of indignation directed at Steele and wails about the "KROQ-ification of Indie."

"LATaurus" posts:

Dicky emailed me back and said he'd been fired, plain and simple. I'm not buying the "Steele is a genius I support him 10000000%" bullshit. This was the best morning show I've heard in my 25+ years of listening to LA radio.

For the record, I thought the guy made some damn good radio.

Glad he has another gig, but aside from Jonesy's Jukebox and the old "gee, there's nothing else on" position, I'm about done with actively listening to Indie, if they're willing to ditch smart, engaging talent like that.
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

thanks tom!

:)

I guess Chuck is still there, since he must have other functions at the station. I'd really like to know what happened to Liz.
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

I got this from Steele:

Thanks for the email. I liked that it was well thought out and well written. Dicky is working fulltime on the Jimmy Kimmel Show. We are looking for a replacement show. I hope that whatever it is that we come up with you'll give it a shot. I think you'll agree that we've had some pretty interesting stuff on the air at Indie.

The spirit will remain the same. I promise.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

MS
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:I got this from Steele:

Thanks for the email. I liked that it was well thought out and well written. Dicky is working fulltime on the Jimmy Kimmel Show. We are looking for a replacement show. I hope that whatever it is that we come up with you'll give it a shot. I think you'll agree that we've had some pretty interesting stuff on the air at Indie.

The spirit will remain the same. I promise.

Thanks for taking the time to write.

MS
still spouting the "fulltime on JKL" crap.....

Steele, we're onto ya... it wasn't Dicky's choice to quit Indie so stop trying to make it sound like it was.
gidgetgoestohell

This is what I wrote back:

No Mr. Steele. What I liked, and LOVED, was the MMS. You can replace Dicky with somebody else. If that is the case, sadly, I will no longer listen to your station. It is with a heavy heart that I do this, but I believe that your unilateral decision to abruptly terminate Dicky has left me with no other choice. I must state for the record, with heavy emphasis on what is being said: I AM NOT ALONE, MR.. STEELE. There are many other loyal listeners to your station that are saddened by the removal of our beloved MMS and unless the station and the voice of that show is returned to the airwaves, I believe that there will be a mass exodus of your core listeners. I also believe that it is wise to remember that the older listeners have the capital to support your station and through you, your advertisers. I assure you that I will not hesitate to report to your advertisers what I feel is a grievous wrong that has been done to not only myself, but Dicky and my fellow listeners as well.

There is no information at the time of this email regarding your decision other than the pap that you are trying to feed us. Because we are all, by and large, an independent group of people, we can only assume that you are not being forthcoming in the reason behind your decision. I am also compelled to make perfectly clear that the disappointment that the collective group shall not go unnoticed.

I thank you for your time.
Gidge

gidgetgoestohell

Bump
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

It's over, Gidge.... Dicky's not coming back.

I have been bouncing around other stations but can't find anything that feels right.

I'm very depressed.
robert

Post by robert »

Hey guys its been awhile becasue of work, but i came running back to the safety of the shack since the MMS left. The hour and a half drive to work every morning isnt the same and the worst part is, my office window looks down on the Indie Building. I want to throw things at them, but wisely someone installed non-opening windows.

I hope Dicky sees that he is missed (IF he quit) and that the corporate guys see we want him back.
gidgetgoestohell

This post is for STU....

http://www.clearchannel.com/Radio/Stati ... x?ID=33902

Go and have a lil looksee.....
Gidge

July Cleaver

Post by July Cleaver »

I am very sad that MMS is gone - I miss Dickey, and I really hope that this turns into a good thing for him. I think the station is being short sighted, and kind of ignorant in their dismissal of him. I am also appalled at the context of the message sent to the Adolescents.

*changing pre-sets on my car stereo*
...and then at the end of the letter I like to write "P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.-- Mitch Hedberg
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:This post is for STU....

http://www.clearchannel.com/Radio/Stati ... x?ID=33902

Go and have a lil looksee.....
HA!

:lol:
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

robert wrote:Hey guys its been awhile becasue of work, but i came running back to the safety of the shack since the MMS left. The hour and a half drive to work every morning isnt the same and the worst part is, my office window looks down on the Indie Building. I want to throw things at them, but wisely someone installed non-opening windows.

I hope Dicky sees that he is missed (IF he quit) and that the corporate guys see we want him back.
Head for the roof!
-tom

MicheBel

Long live Chuck!

Post by MicheBel »

LATaurus wrote:I guess Chuck is still there, since he must have other functions at the station. I'd really like to know what happened to Liz.
You may've heard of his show, Dead Air? Not to mention that he does a bunch of the advertising? He's a valued employee of Indie.

I'd love to see him do the Morning Show by himself, actually, but I'm sure they need some kind of "star" to pull ratings.

I would suspect that Liz would be doing some ads from time to time, but I think her "news" days at Indie are over. (Just a guess.)
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
biLzamo

wow im shocked

Post by biLzamo »

although i guess i dont get attached to things as easily as you guys do. i guess i can bring up some positive points before im off to work...

1. Dicky will find something much better to do now after all the exposure he got from Indie. He had to wake up really early and deal with traffic.

2. People get fired all the time and deal with much worse situations.

3. MMS lives on in iPod and through privately run web fansites. I think it would be cool if you guys focused your energies into memorializing what MMS did for LA radio by creating a website with as much past recordings as you can.

4. Wonder what MicheBel had to do with this (eyes her suspiciously).

I dunno about you guys, but there are plenty of other shows on Indie. Especially the Zombie/Rollins one-two punch mon-tues. complete control is actually too hardcore for me, but i think thats great, i realize i am more bubblegum punk. and jonezy still anchors the lunches. i think dicky should have remained a dj at least. he would be considered a cornerstone of the station and had a decent segment of listeners.

i guess *Stryker* will be running MMS from now on?
"The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers."

- Doug McKenzie
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

not to mention that the radio is about music. i wasnt really into the talking ALTHOUGH i found dicky to be very witty and charming and i would find myself listening to him for long periods of times... but now i always ride my motorcycle so i havent listened as much.

but i would usually switch to stations with music, like 93.1 or 101.1 or 95.5 (yeah)! i would avoid kroq out of principle although they are playing cooler music.

i actually REALLY loved this station they had on like 570 AM about a year or two ago that played rockin oldies... KRTH only plays mo-town and r&b.

- Doug McKenzie
assholitis

Re: wow im shocked

Post by assholitis »

biLzamo wrote:i guess *Stryker* will be running MMS from now on?
Doesn't he already do the 4-6 pm slot? Oh, wait. That's TK. It's hard to tell the difference any more.
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
MicheBel

Post by MicheBel »

assholitis wrote:
Doesn't he already do the 4-6 pm slot? Oh, wait. That's TK. It's hard to tell the difference any more.
OUCH. :shock:

UM, Stryker is the complete horses' ass.

TK is the one who's totally cool, with a good heart, that breaks great music all the time.

--Miche
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

this was just posted at LAVoice.org. It's anonymous, so take it for what it's worth, people...... the owner of the site asked this person to come back and say who they are.......

http://lavoice.org/index.php?name=Comme ... =0&thold=0

i'm friends with dicky. he was fired because he wanted to play music he liked. He's very depressed about it right now. he was in a fight with the sales manager and she got him fired. i encourage everyone to write to complain to them. and to Toyota of Huntington Beach and Wahoos Fish Tacos (wing.lam@wahoos.com). THanks!
robert

Post by robert »

Wow i leave for a few months and the love of the Indie party/Trivial Pursuit fest has been wiped out faster than a Cheney hunting partner.

To each their own. but i dont like Jonsey as much (and i know michi will disagree and thats cool) but sometimes he has moments of greatness like the Crissy Hynde interview. What i enjoyed about Dicky was his care for his listeners. I was able to talk to him a few times between commeriucal breaks and some of it was played, but the genuine care that he had for his listeners as individual people was what sold me on the show.

I know that some people hated him interrupting Liz (i truly adore her) but that is the attittude of a lot of people on the news and maybe him being honest about it got others to listen.

I say good luck to you Dicky, i will miss you the same way that i miss Y107. Thanks for the memories.
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

robert wrote:Wow i leave for a few months and the love of the Indie party/Trivial Pursuit fest has been wiped out faster than a Cheney hunting partner.

To each their own. but i dont like Jonsey as much (and i know michi will disagree and thats cool) but sometimes he has moments of greatness like the Crissy Hynde interview. What i enjoyed about Dicky was his care for his listeners. I was able to talk to him a few times between commeriucal breaks and some of it was played, but the genuine care that he had for his listeners as individual people was what sold me on the show.

I know that some people hated him interrupting Liz (i truly adore her) but that is the attittude of a lot of people on the news and maybe him being honest about it got others to listen.

I say good luck to you Dicky, i will miss you the same way that i miss Y107. Thanks for the memories.
I'm with you on Jonsey.... and the analogy between Dicky and Y107 is very appropriate.....
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Hey I didnrt listen to Dickey's show much but I liked what I heard.

If Dicky reads this I wish him success for the future. I know ir will be so.

I cant help but feel there some peeps who had it in for him since the start.

O - and feel free to make requests of "The Glenn Show" if Mr Steele approves it. (i've got a great 12 min remix of In The Navy - Village People) :lol:
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

assholitis wrote:
true

-tom

obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

MicheBel wrote:
assholitis wrote:

TK is the one who's totally cool, with a good heart, that breaks great music all the time.

--Miche
You don't even know Stryker. How can you say that with out making yourself look even more like a giant horses' ass?
-tom

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Nice catch Tom.
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

MicheBel wrote:
assholitis wrote:

--Miche
TK is the poor man's Stryker. He's become the very thing he hates. A typical "radio DJ" blabbering incessantly and trying to make corny puns. He likes what Steele tells him to like and plays what Steele tells him to play. Mark "Shovel" Sovel. Now there's a guy with a good heart who's breaking new music with none of the annoying banter.

*sireofwilshire*
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

Someone has to pay the bills at the station. Can you imagine how much it costs to run that place and compete with some cut-throat station like Kroq. unless they were working in cahoots all along which wouldnt be that far fetched.

- Doug McKenzie
chriswasanon

Post by chriswasanon »

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 6039932020

L. Jewell has posted something to myspace a letter she sent to Mr. Steele and it makes interesting reading.

chriswsanon
"It is I, the gorrilla of 3b. Nigel Molesworth".
jr

Post by jr »

Glenn wrote:Hey I didnrt listen to Dickey's show much but I liked what I heard.

O - and feel free to make requests of "The Glenn Show" if Mr Steele approves it. (i've got a great 12 min remix of In The Navy - Village People) :lol:
I REQUEST THE GLENN SHOW.
does that help???

BTW - you have to sell your soul to the indie devil - is it worth it Glenn?
you will have to play morrisey (no offense Gooch) and some other shit they run into the ground on a weekly basis.... OH yeah, you can read the top million list on here somewhere to get your playlist .... or better yet dont because I am sure "IT" reads the clickometer and gets off on it.

as for dicky.. me hopes that he sticks it to the man.. whomever the man may be.

CHEERS ALL and HAPPY WEEKEND!!!
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

chriswasanon wrote:http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 6039932020

L. Jewell has posted something to myspace a letter she sent to Mr. Steele and it makes interesting reading.

chriswsanon
thanks for posting that link....

I can't imagine that we'll ever get the MMS back, but I would love to be proven wrong on that.
jr

Post by jr »

yeah
if i were dicky and they came to me wanting me back
i would tell them to kiss my ass
and what a fine ass it is!! (yeah i always reduce it to the lowest denominator)
LOL
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

I think their corporate stupidity would prevent them from ever admitting they may have made a bad decision and inviting Dicky back anyway....
robert

Post by robert »

It happened with the Family Guy. Who, by a strange coincidence are in the same building as Indie.
java

Post by java »

Hi all..just wanted to type..that I only recently bumped into Indie online..and quickly became enchanted with the MMS..I am in the Midwest..the Siberia of radio...I was beyond pleasantly surprised to catch some radio that actually sounded live.. not some pre-recorded mash of soulessness..suffice it to say..I will miss the essence of the MMS..and hope that it's spirit can somehow be reclaimed..
Logic: The Art Of Being Wrong With Confidence
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

robert wrote:It happened with the Family Guy. Who, by a strange coincidence are in the same building as Indie.
true, true, I guess it does happen sometimes but I'm not especially optimistic that it will happen here.
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

I just received the following email from Wing Lam of Wahoo's Tacos:

I have talked to Dicky and I'm hoping they can work it out. I will have to fulfill my commitments to the station and then see what happens next. wing

Keep writing those letters, people!!!
robert

Post by robert »

LATaurus wrote:I just received the following email from Wing Lam of Wahoo's Tacos:

I have talked to Dicky and I'm hoping they can work it out. I will have to fulfill my commitments to the station and then see what happens next. wing

I wonder if i could be considered breech of contract if they went in with the expectation of being advertised on the "Mighty Morning Show." i guess it depends on how that wording of that doc was.
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

robert wrote:
LATaurus wrote:I just received the following email from Wing Lam of Wahoo's Tacos:

I wonder if i could be considered breech of contract if they went in with the expectation of being advertised on the "Mighty Morning Show." i guess it depends on how that wording of that doc was.
I'm sure the lawyers took care of all that..... the contract probably allows Indie to make whatever substitutions they want or need to.

I do wonder about "Purpose Funding", whose commercial was done by Dicky personally.... but again, I'm sure the lawyers covered Indie's ass somehow.
RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

I'm the same way. I start work at 5am before the morning show, I can't get the station on my radio in the hospital & I can't listen over the internet at work. So I rarely heard it but most of what I heard was cool. When I liked the music or guests, it was great. But I've been listening to Indie because of the music since it came on the air, long before Dicky's show, even before Jonesy joined up so I'll probably stick with it. Just as long as it doesn't go to an ALL-Talk format! Less Talk, More Rock!
But for all of you who are missing your Dicky, don't give up hope. If Adam Corolla's rating keep slipping, Dicky may get the call. It could happen :D
I'm in shape! Round is a shape!
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

RobertKP wrote:

I'm the same way. I start work at 5am before the morning show, I can't get the station on my radio in the hospital & I can't listen over the internet at work. So I rarely heard it but most of what I heard was cool. When I liked the music or guests, it was great. But I've been listening to Indie because of the music since it came on the air, long before Dicky's show, even before Jonesy joined up so I'll probably stick with it. Just as long as it doesn't go to an ALL-Talk format! Less Talk, More Rock!
But for all of you who are missing your Dicky, don't give up hope. If Adam Corolla's rating keep slipping, Dicky may get the call. It could happen :D
having checked out Adam's show a little over the past two days, I can say that it's no mystery why his ratings are not good...... :roll:
robert

Post by robert »

In regards to Adam's show's i didnt like him on loveline and i cant see him as a stand alone, but he and Jimmy were the best wrting tandem of any morning show that i have ever heard. Even 10 years later their bits are in my top 10. RIP Mr. Birchum.
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

robert wrote:In regards to Adam's show's i didnt like him on loveline and i cant see him as a stand alone, but he and Jimmy were the best wrting tandem of any morning show that i have ever heard. Even 10 years later their bits are in my top 10. RIP Mr. Birchum.
Many have suggested that Jimmy was the real talent at least as far as the writing goes. But I agree, Birchum was a gem.
LATaurus

Excellent blog post on the MMS!!! Dicky speaks!!!

Post by LATaurus »

This lady says she got "info on both sides on the rumor mill at hitsdailydouble.com (industry, registration-required site) and posted it to my blog"

http://www.puffpiece.com/

I'm so sad.

I just found out something both sad and troubling. Dicky Barrett has been fired from the Mighty Morning Show on LA's Indie 103.1.

For those of you who don't live in Los Angeles and are wondering, "Wait. Dicky Barrett from the Mighty Might Bosstones was hosting a radio morning show?" Yes. Yes, he was. And doing a really amazing job.

Listening to the Mighty Morning Show with Dicky and Liz and Stacey and Chuck was like listening to your cooler-than-you older siblings talk with their cooler-than-you friends about rock music you wanted access to, movies you'd never heard of, books you hoped to read someday, politics you never thought you'd understand, and parties you desperately wanted to go to. Only, brilliantly, they did all of this in a way that was intelligent, warm, funny and totally accessible.

I especially loved their interviews. Dicky treats his guests with respect while asking exactly the kinds of questions fans would want to know, as well as many we hadn't thought of. He sold me on many a movie I otherwise hadn't even heard of.

I loved it when Liz would try to do the news. I don't know why Dicky hated the news so much, but he would never let her just get straight through it. He'd mock the news and Liz herself without mercy, and Liz, bless her, would just power straight through. They perfectly captured the "we're siblings and we bug each other but really we totally love each other" vibe. It was awesome.

And, of course, I loved it when Dicky would tell stories. He'd regale his coworkers and, by extension, us listeners, with stories about his mom or his band or how he and Pavarotti once selected the same flavor of pie. It sounds so mundane, but his delivery is just so charming.

I could go on. I've been known to sit with my friends and just talk and talk about how much we love listening to the Mighty Morning Show. I once spent a good 45 minutes explaining to my husband why I think Dicky does better interviews than anyone else on the radio. I actually sent the show a love letter of sorts on Valentine's Day, because mAc and I once met Dicky and it was a cute story and I thought they'd get a kick out of it. And they did. They sent me a thank you.

So what went wrong? Well, I'm looking into it. So far, this is what I know, from hitsdailydouble.com.

Influential L.A. radio station Indie 103.1, the English-language alternative outlet owned by leading Hispanic broadcast company Entravision, has fired its morning show host, the Mighty Mighty Bosstones' Dicky Barrett, who has been off the air for the past three days. His spokesperson reports that his "unexplained disappearance comes just a few days after the station's powers-that-be called him into their office and told him to refrain from making any political or controversial comments on the air."

L.A. Indie 103.1 station GM Dawn Girocco on the firing of morning man Dicky Barrett: "We have been working with Dicky for the past five months trying to get the show to the next level.. We invested a lot into not only the show, but in promoting and coaching him. Unfortunately it takes a lot of work to build and grow a morning show as well as develop interesting, compelling content. This was not Dicky's priority, as he had other commitments with Jimmy Kimmel Live, which was, in his words, 'his bread and butter.' Everyone at Indie has a tremendous commitment to the station and to the audience. We need to have a morning show that is able to make Indie their #1 priority. We wish Dicky the best in the future and appreciate his contributions to the station."

Former Indie 103.1 morning show host Dicky Barrett gives his side of his firing by Entravision from the influential L.A. station: "Jimmy Kimmel is a great guy who supported the Mighty Morning Show, and loved it, even though he helped to build the Kevin and Bean Show on KROQ and is the Producer of the Adam Carolla Morning Radio Show. The man hired to 'coach' me in 'trying to get the show to the next level',' Dan Kieley, said: 'Dicky is a true talent and a radio star' and 'It's a great Morning Show'.' I was fired for being unwilling to be, in Dawn Girocco's words 'more mainstream.' It was a great morning show. It is unfair to let people think I walked away to put more work into loudly reading 20-30 words a night on Jimmy's TV show. I worked hard on the Mighty Morning Show. I along with Stacey, Chuck and Liz, built and grew it to what it was. You could count on it (for the most part) to provide you with interesting, compelling content and better music then any other show on the air in the morning."

I checked Indie's web site to see if they had anything on the Mighty Morning Show's page. It's...not even there anymore. Other sites have some additional bits & pieces.

I'm so sad. And, in truth, I don't know what makes me sadder--the idea that he was fired for making "political and controversial comments" or the fact that he's just not going to be on the air in the morning anymore. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's the latter. The idea that he got fired for saying the wrong thing mostly just really pisses me off.

It's a discussion for another time, as this entry is already really long and I'm in mourning, but what, specifically, did he say? How "bad" was it? Why was he fired, and not fined? What happened to free speech? How does someone get fired for talking, when they were essentially hired to talk? And, seriously, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON IN OUR COUNTRY AND WHEN ARE WE GOING TO START PAYING ATTENTION AND FIGHTING BACK, PEOPLE?!?!?

Further, political rage aside, why is a radio station whose name is "Indie" trying to coach someone on how to be more mainstream? Counterintuitive much? Oh, no, wait. That's just your basic flat-out bullshit.

Dicky, I'm so sorry you're gone. If I could, I'd put you back on the air right now, and I hope that someone figures out a way to do just that. In the meantime, I want you and the rest of the crew to know that you were truly Great, and you will be missed.
gidgetgoestohell

LA...that person put into words my exact feelings...if you know who it is...please PM the information so that I can thank them personally....

As for everyone else that has sent a letter, to either Michael Steele or the advertisers, I want you to know that I thank you as does Dicky, I am sure....
Gidge

biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

seems like dicky got canned for purely political reasons and they are trying to cover it up by saying his show was not "mainstream" enough.

but as some other people may have already alluded to, the reason Indie become a hit is because they did a lot of things we did not see the other LA radio stations doing. maybe dicky didnt do things the "best" way, but he did things with originality and sincerity

unfortunately any replacement on indie in the same time slot is going to be a disappointment

although tthe fact that indie has right-wing sponsors would make me not listen to indie. its no better than islamic fundamentalists.

- Doug McKenzie
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:LA...that person put into words my exact feelings...if you know who it is...please PM the information so that I can thank them personally....

As for everyone else that has sent a letter, to either Michael Steele or the advertisers, I want you to know that I thank you as does Dicky, I am sure....
Gidge, all I know about this lady is what she posted on Stu's MMS blog and then she provided a link to her own....

Stu's blog comments

http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID ... 6080478515

Dinah's blog

http://www.puffpiece.com

I'm going to email her comments to Mr. Steele and also mail copies to Indie and Entravision......
gidgetgoestohell

I sent a copy to Dicky and Steele...the more times Steele sees it...the better he receive the message....
Gidge

jr

Post by jr »

right on people!!!
after we get this mess sorted out and MMS back on the air...
can y'all work with me to get that F-in BUSH eliminated from Planet Earth??? warmonger mutha that he is... i look in his the devil..
pure evil!
gidgetgoestohell

Awww..don't worry about W, JR...Miche is going to save the world...with her abundant love for all things human and her mind boggling ability to sway people to her side.....
Gidge

biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

i was gonna say, if you're going to organize for something, it should be for the environment and other things like homelessness

- Doug McKenzie
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

biLzamo wrote:i was gonna say, if you're going to organize for something, it should be for the environment and other things like homelessness
how do you know we don't? what makes you think this is the only thing any of us would organize for? It's a thread about the Mighty Morning Show, what did you expect to find us discussing?
floratina

Post by floratina »

Robert said: "What i enjoyed about Dicky was his care for his listeners. I was able to talk to him a few times between commeriucal breaks and some of it was played, but the genuine care that he had for his listeners as individual people was what sold me on the show. "

This is something that stands out to me about Dicky. I remember reading about how he went off on Miche. Setting aside the content of his statement that day, I have to say that I was impressed (and surprised) that he apparently didn't regard the members of his audience as a faceless mass of (ug, only one word seems to work here) punters. The man actually took what a listener posting on a blog had to say seriously enough to address it on his show. I think Miche could even give him props for that, yes?
vertemate

MIGHTY MORNING SHOW!

Post by vertemate »

What the hell are you guys thinking? This was by far the best LA morning show hands down. Adam Corolla blows. Dicky was charming and thoroughly entertaining. The most eclectic music and witty commentary. You blew it big time.

Have been a loyal listener from day one.

No mas.
MicheBel

Post by MicheBel »

obiwankobe wrote:
MicheBel wrote:UM, Stryker is the complete horses' ass.

You don't even know Stryker. How can you say that with out making yourself look even more like a giant horses' ass?
Because I DO know TK, and Stryker is NO TK. Not in any universe.
jr

Post by jr »

gidget... ooo i forgot about that. No WORRIES... shes on the case. i figure a few bloggins from her and he will evacuate and run operations in IRAQ himself... that takes care of that.
in other news...
I have to also add that the couple of times I met Dicky.. he was nice, personable, took time to talk to me and was very "pro indie"...
so WTF?????? no more pulling over the car on the side of the road to hear MMS in its entirety and blaming my tardiness on traffic.. DAMN the MAN!!!
FLORA - you ARE right he DID take the time to defend Chuck when he felt that Chuck had been slighted... who else would do that???
I LOVE DICKY.... he was what morning radio should be!!!!
MicheBel

TK vs. Stryker

Post by MicheBel »

assholitis wrote:TK is the poor man's Stryker. He's become the very thing he hates. A typical "radio DJ" blabbering incessantly and trying to make corny puns. He likes what Steele tells him to like and plays what Steele tells him to play. Mark "Shovel" Sovel. Now there's a guy with a good heart who's breaking new music with none of the annoying banter.
Well, first, TK is on during drive time. Of course, he's got to be a bit more corporate during those hours. Anyone would.

But everyone there (at Indie) has a mind of their own. They are by no means corporate automatons that you find elsewhere, such as at that station down the dial.

But TK, Shovel and Steele ALL possess good hearts. And break great music.
MicheBel

a moment of prayer

Post by MicheBel »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:Awww..don't worry about W, JR...Miche is going to save the world...with her abundant love for all things human and her mind boggling ability to sway people to her side.....
Yup. I'm praying for W and Dicky as we speak...

Ohhhhhmmmmmm...

:wink:
MicheBel

welcome!

Post by MicheBel »

floratina wrote:
This is something that stands out to me about Dicky. I remember reading about how he went off on Miche. Setting aside the content of his statement that day, I have to say that I was impressed (and surprised) that he apparently didn't regard the members of his audience as a faceless mass of (ug, only one word seems to work here) punters. The man actually took what a listener posting on a blog had to say seriously enough to address it on his show. I think Miche could even give him props for that, yes?
Ms. Flora, WELCOME to Jack's Shack! Hope you enjoy it around here.

But no, I wouldn't give him "props" for that at all. It was COMPLETELY out of line for him to attack me on air like that.

Everyone at Indie reads the blogs and what we post. They comment when it's appropriate. They know the DIFFERENCE. He didn't.

Furthermore, everyone's talking like Dicky was the only one who interacts with his listeners. Nearly every DJ on every show on Indie interacts with their listeners--TK, Shovel, Cha Cha, Rollins, Passport Approved, Chuck, Joe Sib--just as examples. That is what sets INDIE apart, not what set the MMS apart.
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

I think Tom meant you don't know Stryker. Therefore making any assumptions about his character as an actual person and not just a radio DJ are unwarranted. Granted you do know TK, but that doesn't give you grounds to judge Stryker having never met him. I'm just the opposite. I've met Stryker on a few occassions, and he came across as a geniunely nice guy who cares about his fans and treats them very kindly.
I'll take your word on TK, since I've never met him. I'll assume he has a good heart, but so does Stryker.
However, I think despite both their true personalities, they've both succumbed to the dreaded corporate radio DJ personas. Or as I like to call it Seacrestified. Hell, even Carson Daly started off as a pretty cool guy.
MicheBel wrote:
obiwankobe wrote:
MicheBel wrote:UM, Stryker is the complete horses' ass.

Because I DO know TK, and Stryker is NO TK. Not in any universe.

*sireofwilshire*
MicheBel

knowing

Post by MicheBel »

Well, just to clarify, you are correct that I've never met Mr. Stryker.

However, I was commenting on his on-air persona, not him personally. I can see how that might be unclear.

Besides, he works for KROQ, how cool could he be?

On the upside, he is also a registered user here, so he can't be all bad.
assholitis

Re: knowing

Post by assholitis »

I agree. And my comments regarding TK weren't directed as him as a person. As I said, I'm sure he's a really great guy and from what I've heard he's nothing but grateful to the Indie fans. But much as you disapprove of Stryker's on-air personality, I also cringe hearing TK on the drive home. And since the two compete during the same time slot, I'll sometimes switch back and forth between the two and am annoyed at hearing both DJs talk at length about "funny" anecdotes and poor attempts at puns. Not to mention that TK has become such a name-dropper. It seems like he's always trying to impress the audience by saying what celebrity he ran into last weekend, or what group stopped by his show.

Stryker: Oh man, Snoop Dogg was hanging out on the station last night!

TK: Dude, Run-DMC was in here yesterday with me yesterday!

And as your comment for how someone would be uncool just for working at KROQ...well, how cool can TK be for working at a station that treats its DJs so poorly as to fire them without warning, and treats its listens so poorly as to cancel a popular show without explanation?

You see, I'm not necessarily pissed at the fact that Indie decided to cancel the MMS. Yes, it does sadden me that Dicky's off the air and I think his show provided a nice alternative to other morning shows, while allowing an opportunity for music that is otherwise unheard of. However, if there was a decision to cancel his show, fine. If his ratings were low? Okay. You do what you have to do. My problem is the way that Indie (or whoever makes the big decisions, i.e. Steele) has decided to treat the situation. They simply made a decision to axe the show mid-week, without warning to anyone. I'm assuming Dicky didn't even know about it either, because he was not granted a proper farewell show as he deserved and he did not mention it on air. In addition, Indie immediately removed the link to his show from their website. And the biggest slap in the face is the fact that Indie has not even acknowledged the disappearance of his show. At the very least, they could have, and should have, put up an explanation on the website explaining what happened. Instead, they've left many devoted fans upset and wondering just what the hell happened. I don't think the backlash would have been so strong if they had just handled it properly and been forthcoming about what happened. To handle it this way is just shady and makes many, myself included, cynical about the stations true intentions.

I know that many people have stated that they refuse to listen to the station any more. Well, I still love too many shows and DJs (Jonesy, Shovel, Chuck P, Rob Zombie, Joe Sib, the Feel My Heat crew) to completely turn my back on Indie. However, the perfect image of the station that I've loved for over two years is now a bit tarnished. Until I get an official explanation as to what went down (and no, I'm not buying Steele's "Dicky decided to work at the Jimmy Kimmel Show full time" b.s.), and maybe even after that, there is going to be a black cloud over the station I spent two years loving and promoting.

That said...how cool could TK be to continue being Michael Steele's puppet/bitch?
MicheBel wrote:Well, just to clarify, you are correct that I've never met Mr. Stryker.

However, I was commenting on his on-air persona, not him personally. I can see how that might be unclear.

Besides, he works for KROQ, how cool could he be?

On the upside, he is also a registered user here, so he can't be all bad.

*sireofwilshire*
gidgetgoestohell

floratina wrote:Robert said: "What i enjoyed about Dicky was his care for his listeners. I was able to talk to him a few times between commeriucal breaks and some of it was played, but the genuine care that he had for his listeners as individual people was what sold me on the show. "

The funny thing is...he didn't mention SHE WHO HAS NO NAME by, well, name....if what he says insulted her so badly...she must have been, heaven forfend, quilty of some mal feasance...If not...if she truly had nothing to feel bad about...that little episode should have rolled off her back like water off a duck's back....Instead...she proclaimed her own personal war....
Gidge

gidgetgoestohell

I heard from a VERY reliable source that Sovel and Steele want Miche to stop speaking for them, they are embarrassed by her inaccuracies, her foolish rants and hate her weekly lists..... Direct quote ''she makes us look bad''....Sovel and Steele also say that she is "fucking crazy".....

~throws the gauntlet down~
Gidge

LATaurus

DICKY SPEAKS (part 2)

Post by LATaurus »

http://lavoice.org/index.php?name=News& ... e&sid=1674

Dicky Barrett finally broke his silence. As suspected, he did not "leave to work full-time with Jimmy Kimmel," as Indie 103.1 would have us believe.

Here's the press release, verbatim:
DICKY BARRETT FIRED

LA'S INDIE 103.1 PULLS HIM
AND HIS MIGHTY MORNING SHOW FROM THE AIRWAVES

Why would Los Angeles radio station India 103.1 fire an incredibly successful and much loved host and pull his show from the airwaves without an honest explanation?

That's a good question, one that should be asked until there's a satisfactory answer.

Here's what happened according to Dicky ...
The station was built to fuck with KROQ (Infinity) by people from KISS-FM (Clear Channel) it was just supposed to be a short lived pain in the ass that that took away a few ratings points, and talked some shit about KROQ - Inadvertently (and you can credit Steve Jones and the other celebrity DJ's) it became good, and got a lot of national attention, and credible press ''the coolest station in America'' rolling stone etc. “ At that point the FCC said Clear Channel who operated Indie 103.1 out of the Entravision offices could no longer do so - All business ties on paper we're severed - It became a full Entravision property - But the hard right leaning Clear Channel program director and station manager (along with a lot of the behind the scenes technical employees) were already firmly in place - It is in Clear Channel's best interest that Indie 103.1 exist - the PD, Michael Steele (who brags about ''breaking Britney Spears'') and the station manager, Dawn Girocco (a long time radio sales women) are believing their own hype and considering themselves radio geniuses who masterminded the Indie 103.1 phenomenon, so it's now time to implicate their superior ''radio wisdom'' and conventional ''radio strategy'' - #1) Morning shows need to be musically formatted and the music needs to be heavily rotated - #2) All guests must be approved by Michael Steele (Dawn Girocco really, she's Dick Cheney, Steele's George Bush) ''no guests to controversial soccer moms are l listening in the a.m.'' - There were other things that were more annoying, then actually detrimental to the show ''say the time, and call letters till your blue in the face'' - I reluctantly, and unhappily against my better judgment went along with all this for about two weeks, hoping they would come to their senses - During this time they brought in a longtime radio guru, to consult (he also worked at one point for Clear Channel) - His assessment was the show was ''really good'' and I was a ''legitimate talent and a potential radio star'' - Not the information these people wanted me to have - When I made an on a r remark about not liking the new overplayed Morrissey track I was marched into the President of Entravisions office (Jeff Lieberman, a fan of Mighty Morning show) - In front of me, Jeff told Dawn he was not prepared to ''strip Dicky of his opinion'' she was obviously and visibly embarrassed - Then he asked her if she gave me the book about morning radio that he gave her to give to me ''no, it's at home'' she said, ''why the hell, is it there'' he asked, she looked humiliated - This was the beginning of the end for me, and the writing was most likely on the wall - Two weeks after that I had a substantial, unauthorized, pro-choice conversation on the air with a South Dakota disc jockey and a few callers, the straw that broke the camels back - This is not the direction supporters of the current administration want the station going in.
- I was fired that day
-I loved doing the show and loved the people who loved it

Thank you,
Dicky

Here’s what happened according to Indie 103.1¦

From Hits;
L.A. Indie 103.1 station GM Dawn Girocco on the firing of morning man Dicky Barrett: "We have been working with Dicky for the past five months trying to get the show to the next level.. We invested a lot into not only the show, but in promoting and coaching him. Unfortunately it takes a lot of work to build and grow a morning show as well as develop interesting, compelling content. This was not Dicky's priority, as he had other commitments with Jimmy Kimmel Live, which was, in his words, 'his bread and butter.' Everyone at Indie has a tremendous commitment to the station and to the audience. We need to have a morning show that is able to make Indie their #1 priority"
Jimmy Kimmel is a great guy who supported the Mighty Morning Show, and loved it, even though he helped to build the Kevin and Bean Show on KROQ and is the Producer of the Adam Carolla Morning Radio Show.

The man hired to ''coach'' me "trying to get the show to the next level'' Dan Kieley said "Dicky is a true talent and a radio star'' and ''it's a great Morning Show''
I was fired for being unwilling to be, in Dawn Girocco's words ''more mainstream'' It was a great morning show. It is unfair to let people think I walked away to put more work into loudly reading twenty to thirty words a night on Jimmy's T.V. show. I worked hard on the Mighty Morning Show. I along with Stacey, Chuck, and Liz, built and grew it to what it was. You could count on it (for the most part) to provide you with interesting, compelling content and better music then any other show on the air in the morning.

Further inquires please contact Dana Gordon at Independent Music Media at #213.864.2690 or HiDanaGirl@aol.com / Dicky will make himself available to comment.

Contact Indie 103.1 and express your disappointment call or e-mail #877.900.1031 or Michael Steele (program director) at msteele@entravision.com.

Yep. That's the smell of bridges being burnt. The man went out with head held high, though.

Long story short, they wouldn't let him play or say what he wanted - a common-enough radio business decision that clashed with the way the show was originally launched (and, for a good time, run).

And Indie comes off looking like a typical, MOR, playlist-driven ad mill with a heavily restrictive political agenda rather than the upstart punk of a station it promised us it would be when it launched.

I agree - I'm sick to death of hearing the Morrissey tune more than twice a day, not to mention the other 12 songs they have in brain-dead heavy rotation.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the next KROQ - unless the listeners demand better. In the end, Indie and Entravision just didn't deserve the Mighty Morning Show.
gidgetgoestohell

Whew LA...I didn't think that that was going to come out until Monday...good job breaking it!!!
Gidge

gidgetgoestohell

jr wrote:gidget... ooo i forgot about that. No WORRIES... shes on the case. i figure a few bloggins from her and he will evacuate and run operations in IRAQ himself... that takes care of that.
in other news...
I have to also add that the couple of times I met Dicky.. he was nice, personable, took time to talk to me and was very "pro indie"...
so WTF?????? no more pulling over the car on the side of the road to hear MMS in its entirety and blaming my tardiness on traffic.. DAMN the MAN!!!
FLORA - you ARE right he DID take the time to defend Chuck when he felt that Chuck had been slighted... who else would do that???
I LOVE DICKY.... he was what morning radio should be!!!!
JR...and I love you and all of your...how did she put it?? Oh yes...she called you a BLOG WENCH...I love you and ALL of your wenchiness....:D
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:Whew LA...I didn't think that that was going to come out until Monday...good job breaking it!!!

awww, shucks, Gidge, you are making me blush!

But, Mack Reed at LAVoice broke it first.... I had nothing to do with it, except for reposting here.

http://lavoice.org/index.php?name=News& ... e&sid=1674

Thanks for the informative PM, btw. Confirmed everything I already suspected about "that person" :wink:
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:I heard from a VERY reliable source that Sovel and Steele want Miche to stop speaking for them, they are embarrassed by her inaccuracies, her foolish rants and hate her weekly lists..... Direct quote ''she makes us look bad''....Sovel and Steele also say that she is "fucking crazy".....

go gidge!
gidgetgoestohell

You know it...Is anybody else having bulletin problems over at MySpace? It's strange...but both Tony Reflex and I can't seem to post one.....
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:You know it...Is anybody else having bulletin problems over at MySpace? It's strange...but both Tony Reflex and I can't seem to post one.....
I am not having any problems........ have been posting on the Indie group just now

EDIT: OOPS, just realized you meant bulletins and not groups, sorry, I will try posting a bulletin now

If anyone would like to add me at myspace I'd be honored! (well, anyone except Miche that is)

http://www.myspace.com/lainwla
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

bulletin posted on myspace.... no problems!
gidgetgoestohell

It looks like they are lagging....I just got about five from Tony...maybe mine are soon to follow...

I sent you an ADD FRIEND request too....(can't protect you from Miche though, sorry and just another tip, she doesn't take hints all that well either..whether they are subtle or out and out frying pan over the head ones..just an FYI).....
Gidge

rocknrolldetox

Post by rocknrolldetox »

Does anyone have contact info for Jeff Lieberman? If anything we can all be a pain in Dawn's side!

PS I can't believe I was right about the abortion thing. It is beyond fucked up.
gidgetgoestohell

I have some interesting stuff from MySpace as well.....very interesting....
Gidge

jr

Post by jr »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:I have some interesting stuff from MySpace as well.....very interesting....
do tell...
gidgetgoestohell

How's about this....I will send it to you via PM...that way we can have a chuck (pun INTENDED) and a giggle in private....
Gidge

rotter

Post by rotter »

hey jr...feelin' better I hope :wink:
gidgetgoestohell

rotter wrote:whatchagot Gidge :wink:
Oh ya know....lil bit of this...lil bit of that.....
Gidge

rotter

Post by rotter »

show me..... :D
gidgetgoestohell

I already did...I posted you a nekkid picture, didn't ??? :lol:
Gidge

rotter

Post by rotter »

you said you had some myspace shit...do tell :D
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:I have some interesting stuff from MySpace as well.....very interesting....
Is this something I need to know about Gidge? Or is it something I already know?
gidgetgoestohell

;) at Jr...no problemo....
Gidge

MicheBel

um hum

Post by MicheBel »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:I heard from a VERY reliable source that Sovel and Steele want Miche to stop speaking for them, they are embarrassed by her inaccuracies, her foolish rants and hate her weekly lists..... Direct quote ''she makes us look bad''....Sovel and Steele also say that she is "fucking crazy".....

Well, I'm sure you'll believe what you want to believe on this score, but I'll defend myself nonetheless.

First of all, I don't speak for Steele or Sovel at all. I speak for myself and myself alone. My words and observations are my own. If I state something inaccurate, and someone points it out to me, I will correct it.

I don't know how doing a list which promotes all the great music they play on Indie in any way "makes them look bad." I'm one of the biggest Indie cheerleaders out there. Even in this thread, you all are boycotting Indie, writing its advertisers and threatening to boycott them, and I'm standing here supporting Indie as I always have.

As I said, Gidge, believe what you want to believe (as I'm sure you will), but I remain confident that both Michael Steele and Mark Sovel know exactly where I'm coming from and realize that I am an Indie supporter 100%.

I regret that I got angry publicly at Dicky, and they know that too. The only things I've ever done which could be regarded as "crazy" are the comments I made here on Jack's Shack in response to Dicky's tirade against me, and the resulting letter I wrote him when he ONCE AGAIN threatened me with my job. Fear makes people strike out.

But they know me well enough to know that now that Dicky's gone, that will never happen again. All is peaceful in Indieland.

I know that's true, and that's all that matters to me. You might wanna look at the veracity of your source, Gidge, and whether or not they have anything to gain by telling you this...I'm just saying.

Oh yeah, cause I'm sure Dicky will be reading this, I need to add one last thing. One special message to Dicky, and then I don't ever wanna speak or think of it again.

DICKY: Don't Call Us. We'll Call You. :D
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Gidge,

Did your inside sauces mention anything about the GLENN SHOW?

Viable...???

Richard Simmons just agreed to interview plus cavity search. I need to let him know asap.
gidgetgoestohell

It WAS the subject of some conversation....but the person I was speaking with said it would only be a viable option if you could guarantee Sigfried and Roy...plus a tiger or two.....
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

rocknrolldetox wrote:
See what's waiting around the corner, for example.

Based on this alone...
Tuesday morning, I will be filling in for Dickie Barrett on Indie 103.1 from 6:00am-10:00am PST. Early mornings. Yuck!!!
--http://www.6767.com/ (dave navarro's web site)

I have concrete proof there is no reason for me to listen to indie anymore. Jonesy is great -but I'm old enough to know the actually good stuff he plays and well as for Dead Air (god bless chuck p) if I want to hear those bands before anyone else that's what KXLU is for.

Around the corner is scary.

Dave Navarro is filling in for Dicky?

uh...............

I'll pass, thanks.
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Michebel wrote:Dude, TK IS cool. As you said, both TK and Styker work in terrestrial radio. That means you have to do certain things to pay the piper. That's understood. That doesn't make TK any less cool, or any less understanding of music. He promotes the hell out of local artists. He digs his listeners big time. He is absolutely one of my favorite DJs on Indie. And he's a standup guy.

And did you hear that interview with DMC? Awesome stuff. Download the podcast if you haven't heard it. I don't perceive him to be a namedropper, per se. He's just groovin on the fact that so many cool artists are digging Indie. And, as a listener, I dig the hell out of that too! I love his enthusiasm, when so much of radio is fake and programmed. TK is the real deal. Seriously, man. Trust me on this.
Your description of TK is pretty much exactly the same as Stryker. He loves the KROQ fans, he does his best to promote music that's local and unheard of. The only difference between the two is that KROQ gives him a bit less freedom to play what he wants to play and say what he wants to say. But believe me, if TK took the slightest detour off course (such as mentioning what happened on the Mighty Morning Show) Steele would be in there quicker than the Feds could wiretap your phone to shut him up. So if they're pretty much the same type of person and each is trapped into playing what their bosses dictate...how does that make Stryker any less cool than TK?

Yes, I agree having Run-DMC was a great accomplishment. They are definitely legends. But TK doesn't have to go bragging about who he saw last weekend. "Oh man, I was at the Yeah Yeah Yeahs sold out show last weekend. (aka I got in and you couldn't!) I saw Anthony Kiedis there. (aka, Hey, look who I know and you don't!)." Gets old after a bit, don't ya think?

MicheBel wrote:It is a fallacy to think that Dicky's firing was "without warning."
If it wasn't without warning to Dicky or the MMS crew, then it was at the very least without warning to the dedicated fans of both the morning show and the radio station altogether.
Michebel wrote: That is an incorrect assumption. This whole thing was a long time coming. You give the honor of "a farewell show" to someone who leaves on good terms, no?"

You give the honor of a farewell show not only for the benefit of the host, but for the listeners as well. You do it as an opportunity for listeners to call in and voice their expression on the matter, to tell all the hard-working people who did the show how much they were appreciated, and you do it to let the fans know that their favorite show has been cancelled. You don't just yank the show off and play music in its place without any explanation.
assholitis wrote: In addition, Indie immediately removed the link to his show from their website.
Only goes to further add to the sneaky way that Indie has handled this. It's almost as if they tried to make any trace of the Mighty Morning Show disappear from Indie and hoped no one would notice. I guess they didn't count on some hardcore fans.
Michebel wrote:Given what is actually going on, I believe that Indie handled it all in the most gracious way they could. And further, I think everyone here should give Indie a chance. See what's waiting around the corner, for example.

Let's just pose the alternate theory for a moment, shall we? Let's say Dicky has been a pain in the ass from day one--hypothetically. If true, don't you think a great replacement would already have been standing in line? For example, and I'm saying this as a listener only here, I highly suspected that in that week that Dicky went on vacation and other people subbed for him, that it was an on-air test of other talent for Dicky's slot. So just as an objective listener, I can see that it went back at least that far, perhaps even further.

Let's see what happens next week, shall we? Whatever happens, I'm fairly confident that you won't just be hearing music. HAVE FAITH IN INDIE, PEOPLE! As Dicky used to constantly write to me in emails: THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING. Yes, Dicky, I'm sure they do.
As I stated before, it wasn't necessarily their decision to cancel the show that bothered me, but rather, the sneaky, underhanded way they have handled this entire issue. As I think Bilz might have stated earlier, people get fired every day. They move on. Okay...but at least let the listeners, whom Indie supposedly cares so much about, know what went on. Or at least tell the listeners that the show has been cancelled. It has not even once been discussed either on-air or on the official website. The only way all of us here know what happened is because some of us have certain connections or contacts that let us know what actually came about. But there are still people over at MySpace who are completely clueless as to what happened.
Michebel wrote:Actually, in that comment, Steele is being incredibly gracious and giving Dicky an out. Between that comment and the GM's (about wanting to have someone who fully devotes themself to the show), you can glean a better picture of what was going on there.
No, Steele is not being gracious. He's making it look like it was Dicky's voluntary choice to work full time at Jimmy Kimmel, rather than continue working at Indie. The way Steele spins it, the blame is all on Dicky for wanting to work full time with Jimmy instead of continuing the MMS. It's the same kind of incredibly lame and unvalid explanation that the Bush administration would try to give, passing the buck and responsibility off to someone else. But it's clear to anyone with a brain that the Jimmy Kimmel explanation is just a red herring for what really took place.

And speaking of Michael Steele, I remember hearing all this great hype about how brilliant he was and how he masterminded Indie for all its greatness. Then I heard him on Jonesy's Jukebox a while back. And the guy just came off sounding like such a corporate dickhead who seemed better fitted over at KROQ headquarters than at Indie. His entire purpose for interrupting Jonesy's Jukebox was to taunt Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day to come to Indie and be a guest on the Jukebox. The whole thing was just slimey and I was repulsed that this was the man who was apparently behind the controls at my beloved station. His exact words to Billie Joe: "grow a set already and come in here." Well, Mr. Steele, my words to you are this: "grow a set already and come clean finally about what happened with the MMS. Trying to cover it up and give out bullshit explanations only makes you and your station look all the more like KROQ."

As much as you and I both hate KROQ, Miche, let us not forget that they first started off as a ground-breaking pirate station playing new artists that couldn't be heard anywhere. Sound familiar? Let's hope Steele gets fired soon and he doesn't end up turning Indie into the mess that KROQ has become. Shovel for President!

*sireofwilshire*
gidgetgoestohell

Did you want to repeat again that Univision (which merged with HBC/ Clear Channel) doesn’t have a controlling interest in Entravision?????????? How much more fucking clear can it be made? “Indie” 103.1 is another CORPORATE ROCK station and it cannot be denied and the public is catching on.

Univision Cuts Entravision Stake to Under 15%

Katy Bachman

FEBRUARY 27, 2006 -

Univision Communications and Entravision Communications announced an agreement Monday that will reduce Univision's ownership stake in Entravision to under 15 percent. Under the deal, Entravision will repurchase 7 million shares of stock held by Univision for $51.1 million (about $7.30 per share).

The deal is set to close March 2, in keeping with the U. S. Department of Justice’s requirement that Univision reduce its stake in Entravision to 15 percent by March 26 as part of Univision’s acquisition of Hispanic Broadcasting Corp. in 2003.

Last July, Univision agreed to acquire two Entravision radio stations in San Jose for $90 million in Entravision common stock held by Univision, bringing Univision’s ownership stake in Entravision to 20 percent.

“Today’s repuchase announcement and recently completed sale of our San Francisco/San Jose radio stations reduced Univision’s ownership stake in Entravision to comply with Univision’s DOJ agreement,” said Walter Ulloa, chairman and CEO of Entravision. “We took a strategic approach to resolving this issue and believe these transactions represent prudent uses of non-strategic assets and cash that will enhance shareholder value.”

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/search/arti ... 1002075161

----------------- Original Message -----------------
Date: Mar 25, 2006 12:19 PM

Entravision is not owned by univision.

Keep trying. Bottom line is, is Dickies show and musical choices had attracted the same amount of listeners as the rest of the station, rather than half the listeners, he would still be on.
Gidge

assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Haha. Thanks for the love, JR. I've seen you around posting, but I don't think we've been formally introduced. Well, as formally introduced as it can be via the internet. I'm Kevin. Nice to meet you.

And thanks Gidge. You know we all, er...most of us anyway, love you! :wink:

Yeah, I'm not going to go so far as to insult Miche and sling names at her, but I will say this. I know she's a hardcore Liberal and strongly opposes the current administration and most Conservativism in general. However, the recent actions of Indie, particularly Steele's decision to cancel the show and the cover-up that immediately followed, just reek of shady, Bush-like behavior. Silence the DJ and give no explanation to the fans. Way to treat the die hard fans that you supposedly care so much about and who put you where you are today, Steele.
And let us not forget, the only reason we even got the half-assed explanation that Steele is giving out regarding Dicky's decision to focus his time on the Jimmy Kimmel show is because we had to actively contact him. He still has not given out an official announcement either on-air or on the website. And when pressed to respond, he gives us this lame attempt at an excuse, putting the blame squarely on Dicky.

Anyone up for going to see the sequel to V for Vendetta? I believe it's going to be entitled I for Indie. :D

And speaking of movies, I noticed I got a recent invitation to another movie premiere, and as I predicted they've since changed the name from "Dick's Flicks" to "Indie's Flicks." I guess you can't have Dick's Flicks if you have no Dick. Right, Indie? :wink:

*sireofwilshire*
gidgetgoestohell

You always take the higher road Kev...you and Gooch...leave the mudslinging and name calling to me....I can do enough for the three of us.....

love you!
Gidge

jr

Post by jr »

assholitis wrote: Anyone up for going to see the sequel to V for Vendetta? I believe it's going to be entitled I for Indie. :D

And speaking of movies, I noticed I got a recent invitation to another movie premiere, and as I predicted they've since changed the name from "Dick's Flicks" to "Indie's Flicks." I guess you can't have Dick's Flicks if you have no Dick. Right, Indie? :wink:
THEY SHOULD HAVE KEPT THE NAME... ITS APPROPRIATE
and nice to meet you too...
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:Damn....I love all of you people....

Kev....beautiful...absolutely beautiful....bravo....

yeah.... what Gidge said.........
MicheBel

Post by MicheBel »

assholitis wrote:Your description of TK is pretty much exactly the same as Stryker. He loves the KROQ fans, he does his best to promote music that's local and unheard of. The only difference between the two is that KROQ gives him a bit less freedom to play what he wants to play and say what he wants to say. But believe me, if TK took the slightest detour off course (such as mentioning what happened on the Mighty Morning Show) Steele would be in there quicker than the Feds could wiretap your phone to shut him up. So if they're pretty much the same type of person and each is trapped into playing what their bosses dictate...how does that make Stryker any less cool than TK?
Um, TK works at Indie. ;-)

I wouldn't expect to hear ANYONE commenting on what happened to Dicky on air. Other than the people in the morning saying that a replacement is being sought.
assholitis wrote:Yes, I agree having Run-DMC was a great accomplishment. They are definitely legends. But TK doesn't have to go bragging about who he saw last weekend. "Oh man, I was at the Yeah Yeah Yeahs sold out show last weekend. (aka I got in and you couldn't!) I saw Anthony Kiedis there. (aka, Hey, look who I know and you don't!)." Gets old after a bit, don't ya think?
Actually, no. I love that celebrity name-dropping stuff. It helps me to enjoy the experience that I wasn't able to be at. So, no, for me, it doesn't get old. It gives me something I can't get anywhere else.
assholitis wrote:If it wasn't without warning to Dicky or the MMS crew, then it was at the very least without warning to the dedicated fans of both the morning show and the radio station altogether.
So, what are you suggesting? That two weeks ago, someone should have said on air, "Oh we are thinking about firing him, but we just have to make sure. Prepare yourselves listeners!"????? People get arbitrarily fired in radio ALL the time.

I am very confident in believing that Dicky was given ample opportunity to rectify his situation, and didn't. And since then, other than not posting something on the website saying, YES! He's fired!, I don't see what else they could do but bring someone new in.

And I mean, really, little things like always giving the time are kind of key in the mornings, when people are getting up and getting ready....
assholitis wrote:You give the honor of a farewell show not only for the benefit of the host, but for the listeners as well. You do it as an opportunity for listeners to call in and voice their expression on the matter, to tell all the hard-working people who did the show how much they were appreciated, and you do it to let the fans know that their favorite show has been cancelled. You don't just yank the show off and play music in its place without any explanation.
And HOW long have you been listening to radio? ;-)
assholitis wrote:As I stated before, it wasn't necessarily their decision to cancel the show that bothered me, but rather, the sneaky, underhanded way they have handled this entire issue. As I think Bilz might have stated earlier, people get fired every day. They move on. Okay...but at least let the listeners, whom Indie supposedly cares so much about, know what went on. Or at least tell the listeners that the show has been cancelled. It has not even once been discussed either on-air or on the official website. The only way all of us here know what happened is because some of us have certain connections or contacts that let us know what actually came about. But there are still people over at MySpace who are completely clueless as to what happened.
I have every faith that it will all be explained soon. And there's nothing "underhanded" about it. Radio people don't generally talk on air about people getting fired, everyone just moves on. As will happen here.
assholitis wrote:No, Steele is not being gracious. He's making it look like it was Dicky's voluntary choice to work full time at Jimmy Kimmel, rather than continue working at Indie. The way Steele spins it, the blame is all on Dicky for wanting to work full time with Jimmy instead of continuing the MMS. It's the same kind of incredibly lame and unvalid explanation that the Bush administration would try to give, passing the buck and responsibility off to someone else. But it's clear to anyone with a brain that the Jimmy Kimmel explanation is just a red herring for what really took place.
So you'd prefer him to really be honest? You'd prefer him to issue a press release about all his problems with Dicky? Yeah, that's gonna happen. And thinking it would, or should, is unreasonable.
assholitis wrote:And speaking of Michael Steele, I remember hearing all this great hype about how brilliant he was and how he masterminded Indie for all its greatness. Then I heard him on Jonesy's Jukebox a while back. And the guy just came off sounding like such a corporate dickhead who seemed better fitted over at KROQ headquarters than at Indie. His entire purpose for interrupting Jonesy's Jukebox was to taunt Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day to come to Indie and be a guest on the Jukebox. The whole thing was just slimey and I was repulsed that this was the man who was apparently behind the controls at my beloved station. His exact words to Billie Joe: "grow a set already and come in here."
Now, I didn't hear that segment, but reading it now, it impresses me that he did that. You know about the whole corporation rivalry thing right?
assholitis wrote:As much as you and I both hate KROQ, Miche, let us not forget that they first started off as a ground-breaking pirate station playing new artists that couldn't be heard anywhere. Sound familiar? Let's hope Steele gets fired soon and he doesn't end up turning Indie into the mess that KROQ has become. Shovel for President!
Everyone is giving Mr. Steele WAY too much grief here.

The way I see it, Steele has created a great station, continues to run it brilliantly, and will continue to run it brilliantly, long into the future.

You'll see. This move will turn out to be a great one.

But that whole Shovel for President thing is something I could REALLY get behind... ;-)