Where the Hell is the Mighty Morning Show?!?!?!?!?

Talk about the Indie 103.1 shows.

Moderator: Admin

Gooch

Where the Hell is the Mighty Morning Show?!?!?!?!?

Post by Gooch »

This is horrible!!!! I need my fix!!!!
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

Gooch...we are waiting for news...once we get it...we will post it....
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

You don't understand how bad it got this morning....I even turned to Hot 92 Jamz and K-Big......
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
gidgetgoestohell

Holy Moly..that IS bad...stream Yahoo Gooch....Stream Yahoo!!!! Save yourself!!!
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

The show must be gone, because there's NO info about it on Indie's website. It's like the MMS never existed.... I am extremely upset!!!

:x :evil: :x
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

You and me both LATaurus...you and me both...
BTW, I'm a Taurus from L.A. also.... :D
~Gooch

gidgetgoestohell

I noticed that as well....it's bullshit LA....BULLSHIT.....
Gidge

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:Holy Moly..that IS bad...stream Yahoo Gooch....Stream Yahoo!!!! Save yourself!!!
I was in the car. Since this car doesn't have the cassette player, I can't use my iPod. I just ordered an FM Transmitter.....
~Gooch

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:I noticed that as well....it's bullshit LA....BULLSHIT.....
It's enough to make me want to stop listening to Indie altogether.... and I would, if KROQ didn't suck so hard.....
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

LATaurus wrote:
gidgetgoestohell wrote:I noticed that as well....it's bullshit LA....BULLSHIT.....
It's enough to make me want to stop listening to Indie altogether.... and I would, if KROQ didn't suck so hard.....
I'm getting there...especially since they've pretty much killed the new Moz song for me....
~Gooch

gidgetgoestohell

Depending on the outcome of this...I am with you on that as well....The only show I listen to faithfully and give my undivided attention to is the MMS.....I listen to Jonsey and TK.....but it is the MMS that moves me.....
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

Gooch wrote:
LATaurus wrote:
I'm getting there...especially since they've pretty much killed the new Moz song for me....
ha! I thought that was just me! :lol:

I've been scouring myspace for info, but nothing.... have emailed every address I could find at Indie.... I am so unhappy.....

Nice to meet you, btw! are you the moderator here?
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:Depending on the outcome of this...I am with you on that as well....The only show I listen to faithfully and give my undivided attention to is the MMS.....I listen to Jonsey and TK.....but it is the MMS that moves me.....
I totally agree with you Gidge. I love it when he talks with his mom...its the topic of conversation at night with my sidekick.
~Gooch

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:Depending on the outcome of this...I am with you on that as well....The only show I listen to faithfully and give my undivided attention to is the MMS.....I listen to Jonsey and TK.....but it is the MMS that moves me.....
me too.... what a mess..... I am just beside myself!
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Ask anyone on the list...Moz can do no wrong in my eyes, but this song is getting to me and not in a good way...

Yeah, me too...I really like Dicky's show.

Likewise dahlink! No, Jack is the only moderator on the forum. He's the master of all of us...
LATaurus wrote:

I've been scouring myspace for info, but nothing.... have emailed every address I could find at Indie.... I am so unhappy.....

~Gooch

gidgetgoestohell

LATaurus wrote:
Gooch wrote:
LATaurus wrote: It's enough to make me want to stop listening to Indie altogether.... and I would, if KROQ didn't suck so hard.....

If you will notice..at least as of last night...the Indie MySpace still has the MMS logo....

Somebody is supposed to be providing me with Michael Steele's email address...once I get it...I will post it here....
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

Gooch wrote:You and me both LATaurus...you and me both...
BTW, I'm a Taurus from L.A. also.... :D

well let's hear it for Taurean Angeleno women! woo hoo! :D
gidgetgoestohell

LATaurus wrote:
I wonder what the best way to remove an Indie sticker from one's bumper is??? I know how to reprogram my car stereo, thank God.....
Gidge

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

thst is weird. Just last week they had a picture of Dickey on the front page of the indie website.
LATaurus

Steele's Email Address

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell

I am glad that I am flying my Dicky avitar...thanks to Goochieface, of course...
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:
LATaurus wrote:
I wonder what the best way to remove an Indie sticker from one's bumper is??? I know how to reprogram my car stereo, thank God.....
Go to Pep Boys and tell them your favorite radio station betrayed your trust, broke your heart, and ruined your faith in humanity forever, and you need to remove their stupid freakin bumper sticker... they make something to help get those things off....
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:I am glad that I am flying my Dicky avitar...thanks to Goochieface, of course...
Aww...it was nothing...but damn I love that picture of him!!!
~Gooch

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

LATaurus wrote:
gidgetgoestohell wrote:
LATaurus wrote: me too.... what a mess..... I am just beside myself!
Go to Pep Boys and tell them your favorite radio station betrayed your trust, broke your heart, and ruined your faith in humanity forever, and you need to remove their stupid freakin bumper sticker... they make something to help get those things off....
Hahaha!!! I love it!!!!
~Gooch

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

here's a blog with lots of memorable MMS moments....

http://mightymorningshow.blogspot.com/

No info there, either....
gidgetgoestohell

LATaurus wrote:
gidgetgoestohell wrote:
LATaurus wrote: me too.... what a mess..... I am just beside myself!

Thank God I am on vacation...now...where are my keys and my wallet???
Gidge

gidgetgoestohell

LATaurus wrote:here's a blog with lots of memorable MMS moments....

That's Stu site....I am sure once he is the know for proof positive...he will post something.....

I sent a letter to Michael Steele...I urge everybody here who enjoys the MMS to do so as well....
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:
LATaurus wrote:here's a blog with lots of memorable MMS moments....

That's Stu site....I am sure once he is the know for proof positive...he will post something.....

I sent a letter to Michael Steele...I urge everybody here who enjoys the MMS to do so as well....
I don't know Stu but I like his blog a lot! I am going to have a longer look tonight.... since memories appear to be all we have left at this point.... :(
gidgetgoestohell

Stu is a Jack Shacker...and the memory of the joint...he also links the MMS site up with a Jonsey one...he's a great guy and keeper of the nuggets of joy that was/is the MMS.....
Gidge

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Maybe DB is on "secret vacation" with Gidge!

:idea:
Stuartmm

MMS

Post by Stuartmm »

I think all we can do at this point is send controlled email. Swearing etc is not going to help.
I also think it wont come back in the same form whatever happens. Nobody knows what happened but it must have been interesting for the removal of the playlist page to happen so fast. Even the jonesy blogs with the crazies stayed up for a long time.
You can actually use google to see the photos and slightly older playlists just use the cached version of the search for "mighty morning show"

I am very extremely pissed about this as some of you know already know and it seems to have been a sudden decision. I think indie is chasing the myspace kids demo rather than the group that made the station recognised in the first place. When there are groups of people who have a closed group for talking about Jonesy show rather than open forums like this, i think, that shows the mindset . They dont really like the music just that they can be in a clique. Thats myspace all over .
I dont think the people who listened to the MMS were very vocal in there support as they are not used to having requests for , say, Husker Du fulfilled and were just happy to hear them. The reverse is true some people are just phoning in for , sorry to say Gooch , Morrissey so they think thats all they should be playing but most of those people could care less about the music that started Indie. I know i am like that i never called in but had some email requests played. I just never think to phone in too a radio station and get what i want played.

As i wrote to Mr. Steel "Would the station have even still been around if all
they played at the start was Morrissey and Oingo Boingo. Definitely not."

I would hope what we can get out of this is at least a show with Dicky , Maybe a 2 hour night time one. Or afternoon ( God i am getting sick of TKs ass kissing ) . I also asked about at least having a final show or compilations of the best shows.

ie the So Cal Punk , Ska and Hardcore shows really need to be replayed . The history they revealed was amazing.
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

What a great post, Stu..... I agree with EVERYTHING you said up there.

I am emailing politely, not swearing.... but it ain't easy.

D@MN IT!!!!
gidgetgoestohell

Stu...your ears must be burning....I just sent you a copy of my email to the Chief....
Gidge

Stuartmm

Letters

Post by Stuartmm »

I know they are going to get the mental ones so what we send is important. I think you make great points re listeners.

The statcounter on that MMS web site went nuts this morning with people trying to find out what happened. I think tomorrow when people realize that it is not a one day thing is when more emails will start. A lot of people dont know about this site or mine.
gidgetgoestohell

From your mouth to God's (or Michael Steele's at least ) ears...The Kid was bummed with me yesterday, and his age group IS what they are shooting for...specially for long term listeners....
Gidge

rocknrolldetox

Post by rocknrolldetox »

Ok, so I"m late in the game and just sent off my email.

This may be lame but does anyone think this could have ANYTHING to do with the abortion discussion from yesterday? It wasnt anything "shocking" but perhaps the powers that be didn't like it? Or since it was near the news the sponsor didn't like it?
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

rocknrolldetox wrote:Ok, so I"m late in the game and just sent off my email.

This may be lame but does anyone think this could have ANYTHING to do with the abortion discussion from yesterday? It wasnt anything "shocking" but perhaps the powers that be didn't like it? Or since it was near the news the sponsor didn't like it?
They've discussed equally controversial topics in the past and Dicky has made his same pro-choice comments several times....

If that was the reason - it is WAY lame.
Stuartmm

Got this on the MMS blog site

Post by Stuartmm »

From a comemnter on my mms site.

"
tokfume said...
I just recieved this email from Steele.. No exlpination, not lying either just this crap

Dicky is working on Jimmy Kimmel Live full time. We're searching for a replacement.

Michael Steele

On Mar 22, 2006, at 8:57 AM,XXX wrote:
Where is the MMS? And why is it no longer listed on the web site? What the hell is going on? Do you not even have enough balls to make an announcement?"
Last edited by Stuartmm on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

not likely

Jonsey & Lydon where discussing abortion on the Lydon interview + slagging Bush + references to The Ministry of Funny Walks...

There is mention of Dicky on Indie front page so maybe is a mistake???

Remember when people though Camp Freddy was cut.
LATaurus

Re: Got this on the MMS blog site

Post by LATaurus »

Stuartmm wrote:" I jsut recieved this email from Steele.. No exlination, not lying either just this crap

Dicky is working on Jimmy Kimmel Live full time. We're searching for a replacement.

Michael Steele

On Mar 22, 2006, at 8:57 AM,XXX wrote:
Where is the MMS? And why is it no longer listed on the web site? What the hell is going on? Do you not even have enough balls to make an announcement?"
Oh, puh-leeze

I doubt Dicky would voluntarily quit the show, as implied by Steele's email.

something is not right here
gidgetgoestohell

Hmmmm...since when is it verboten to discuss the issue of abortion??? I am puzzled....I suppose it's ok to be anti choice, but heavenforfend if you are pro choice...If that is the reason, and a lame one at that, then God bless Dicky for speaking out.....
Gidge

Stuartmm

Voluntarily

Post by Stuartmm »

They were talking about Staceys friends coming in next week so they thought it was all ongoing.

Re conspiracy theories. With all the South Park controversy maybe after Mimi Rogers last week and talk as to why Simpsons avoid some specific "religious" references thats why :-). That last snippet at the end of the Mimi Rogers show may have been ill advised. Just saying .. ha ha
gidgetgoestohell

If Dicky were just a few years older....I'd ask where he was on that November day in Texas and if he was anywhere near the grassy knoll.....
Gidge

gluke

Post by gluke »

Dicky has not sounded very happy the last few days...Should've known something was up. Does any one have email for him at Kimmel. He always replied to emails at the MMS address..Entravision/Steele is not likely to give any straight answers
rocknrolldetox

Post by rocknrolldetox »

They've discussed equally controversial topics in the past and Dicky has made his same pro-choice comments several times....

If that was the reason - it is WAY lame.
I agree, but the phone call from the other radio DJ and taking calls. I don't know. I don't think it would be in any way shape or form justified but who knows. Maybe the ratings are so low they wanted an excuse?

They were all talking about upcoming events so it had to be something, even if it is just an excuse.

Added:
Dicky has not sounded very happy the last few days...Should've known something was up.
Didn't he mention something about what he thought would get him fired the other day when that anabelle lady was there? I wonder if he know something was coming.
Last edited by rocknrolldetox on Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:If Dicky were just a few years older....I'd ask where he was on that November day in Texas and if he was anywhere near the grassy knoll.....
Are you suggesting he was the second shooter
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gluke wrote:Dicky has not sounded very happy the last few days...Should've known something was up. Does any one have email for him at Kimmel. He always replied to emails at the MMS address..Entravision/Steele is not likely to give any straight answers
The other day, when he had the author of the book "Fired!" on (how prophetic), Dicky said he's always worried that when the phone rings, it's gonna be Mr. Steele telling him it's his last day.

I wonder if he kind of knew it was coming??
gidgetgoestohell

It is plain out and out chickenshit. It's one thing to take the rebroadcast of the first hour of Jonsey's show away with no explination. But to take an entire show away? It saddens me to say, but the station heads act with impunity and little or no regard for the faithful listeners that have been there and supported the station since it's inception.

I am disappointed as well as disenchanted.
Last edited by gidgetgoestohell on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gidge

gidgetgoestohell

Glenn wrote:
gidgetgoestohell wrote:If Dicky were just a few years older....I'd ask where he was on that November day in Texas and if he was anywhere near the grassy knoll.....
Are you suggesting he was the second shooter
Nope Glenn-O....he wasn't even born...I was a mere nine months old at the time...So I didn't do it either...added to the fact that we are both Irish Catholics....:D
Gidge

rocknrolldetox

Post by rocknrolldetox »

jink LATaurus!
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gluke wrote:Dicky has not sounded very happy the last few days...Should've known something was up. Does any one have email for him at Kimmel. He always replied to emails at the MMS address..Entravision/Steele is not likely to give any straight answers
I am looking on the Jimmy Kimmel Live site, no luck so far
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

rocknrolldetox wrote:jink LATaurus!
:D
Stuartmm

Post by Stuartmm »

For a while when people have phone in saying they loved the show he has sometime alluded to making sure they filled in their books ( ie the Arbitron rating books ). I just think we are a quiet listenership that they didnt know was out there. Also Indie has such a crappy signal that large parts of LA and Orange County do not get any signal so the potential listernership is also reduced.

The fired thing was interested as he was getting annoyed at the implications that getting fired from a showbiz job was like really being fired ( ie from his furniture staining gig ).
Like when he said he was bringing guests to the reading ( "14 auto workers . ) Also him being ion welfare because of his dads job status at one point. I think the showbiz ( university to writing gig ) versus a guy who had worked hard up in a band and done something sometimes broke through a bit strongly. Quite rightly as well.
gidgetgoestohell

I can only hope that something better comes out of this for Dicky if they don't give him his slot back....he's always been a stand up guy and I for one will miss that....

The other thing that hasn't been said is...how many stations actually allow the host to take "on air" calls? I was blown away the first time I called in and Dicky answered the phone...
Gidge

Stuartmm

:-)

Post by Stuartmm »

I think that is part of the fact that Indie really is run on a show string. Maybe it is doing badly enough that on -air talent needed to be reduced. You have to pay certain rates to presenters etc.

The fact they are playing an advert for a lapdancing place quite a bit at night does not look like a good thing to me :-) What is it they say as soon as you hear the bail bonds adverts its all over.
gidgetgoestohell

All I can say is that it added a certain charm to the show....I know nothing of what makes a radio station run, from a business sense...but I do know what feels RIGHT...and now, sadly, what feels wrong...and this just feels wrong....
Gidge

obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

I would reccommend listening to Morning Becomes Eclectic now that Dicky is gone. He wasn't terrible. I think Stu is right about the target demographic and the corprate decision this appears to be. Can't wait for them to start playing Fall Out Boy & Hawthorne Heights!!!
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
gidgetgoestohell

Gooch...HOLD MY PURSE....~sets her sights on Tom~
Gidge

obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

why??
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
gidgetgoestohell

Because Tom...some of us are upset about this...you know how much I adore Dicky...and it's evident that I am not alone regarding my enjoyment of the MMS....I love you and you crack me up...normally I would just joke back wih you....but today, I am serious about this issue...

Put the shoe on the other foot....what if Morning Becomes Eclectic were yanked off the air and I said...Oh bummer...that show sucked....listen to the MMS...
Gidge

July Cleaver

Post by July Cleaver »

July Cleaver, reporting for purse holding duty...
...and then at the end of the letter I like to write "P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.-- Mitch Hedberg
gidgetgoestohell

Honest Private Jules....I was trying to be diplomatic.....
Gidge

obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

:oops:
-tom

July Cleaver

Post by July Cleaver »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:Honest Private Jules....I was trying to be diplomatic.....
I think I need a different ranking...

"private Jules" can be taken in ways that I don't care to be nicknamed!

I think tom gets it..

*handing Gidges purse back to her*
...and then at the end of the letter I like to write "P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.-- Mitch Hedberg
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Maybe they will explain what happened on the punk rock minute...

...assuming here still is one...

Seriously maybe he works for Jimmy Kimmel and that could be a great thing for Dicky no,,,? A step into t.v???
gidgetgoestohell

July Cleaver wrote:
gidgetgoestohell wrote:Honest Private Jules....I was trying to be diplomatic.....
I think I need a different ranking...

"private Jules" can be taken in ways that I don't care to be nicknamed!

I think tom gets it..

*handing Gidges purse back to her*
Ok...you just got a promotion to Corp. Jules....I guess Buck Private would be no better...

I think you are right about Tom....he's a good guy and a vital part of this board and I would never be rude or mean to him on purpose...I tease him alot...but that comes from a good part of my cold, mean heart....
Gidge

gidgetgoestohell

Glenn wrote:Maybe they will explain what happened on the punk rock minute...

...assuming here still is one...

Seriously maybe he works for Jimmy Kimmel and that could be a great thing for Dicky no,,,? A step into t.v???
I agree...that would be a great thing....but if that were what were going on...don't you think that they would have had some kind of going away thing for him? When Henry went on tour...he posted the reason why his show went on hiatus...plus...from what I have heard...albeit second hand right now...this was not something that was planned....or at least that is how it feels....
Gidge

Stuartmm

Digging

Post by Stuartmm »

Went around a few places and here is the "feeling" i get.
This has a lot to do with some Indie presenters not toeing the (Clear Channel ) company line re topics/attitude . This has shown the Indie thing to be a very thin veneer over a very corporate structure. Some people play along ( TK ) , some just do what they want but are not controversial ( unless it by mistake gets publicity ) Jonesy ( ie with Lydon ) , Camp Freddy. Some are tolerated because not many really listen and it is more veneer ( Rollins ) Other shows are just really fluff and selling fronts . Passport Approved is really just an A&R front etc.
Indie is a selling tool that became somewhat cool by chance.. Then the radio attitudes kicked in and a real alternative station couldnt be allowed to thrive.

I think Corrolla may have a guest we all know next week.

Still digging.

Talk to you later.
gidgetgoestohell

Thanks Stu....it's sad that I bought the bullshit....hook, line and veneer....fuckers....

To borrow a classic line form Mr. Lydon....Ever get the feeling you've been cheated????
Gidge

Stuartmm

Post by Stuartmm »

Just thinking about this.

I like Jonesy when he has guests . Otherwise its Alvin Stardust, Leo Sayer and Focus.
I listened to Rollins cause he would sometimes throw up a great story or an old trouble funk track or great old punk single. This latest series with the MIles Davis and the vaudeville songs is designed to "be" showy rather than entertaining or informative.
I really like Complete Control but realise the angle.
TK's an ass licker. Pretend punks with mohawks.( you really need to rethink that too,Jack :-) ) They are for postcards in London.
Hanging out with the zombies making fart noises. nice.
The weekend i basically blow off.
"Feel my heat" is rich guys jacking off.
I would listen to the MMS all the time and even relisten to the recordings i have because there was so much great stuff.
Cha Cha could go to KCRW in a second and still be great.

First time in LA where the great station didnt disappear but i gave up on it.
gidgetgoestohell

Generally...I am home by 6 pm...and that time is dedicated to my son and friends....I don't listen to the station after six except for occasionally...and NEVER on the weekends...

I tried listening to Harmony in My Head (infact, The Kid sneaks away on occasion to listen, both before and now that it's back) but I never really cared for the music...the stories, yes...

Jonsey...what to say other than I agree with your assesment...but unlike you, I enjoy his forays into the funky stuff that my brother used to listen to when I was a pre-teen...it's like a stroll down memory lane, as it were...

Leaving me with the mornings when I am held captive by the 57, 5 and 55 freeways...I like some talk with my music and more importantly, I like talk that is smart and diverse....and I got that and more from the MMS...
Gidge

Stuartmm

Post by Stuartmm »

"Jonsey...what to say other than I agree with your assesment...but unlike you, I enjoy his forays into the funky stuff that my brother used to listen to when I was a pre-teen...it's like a stroll down memory lane, as it were..."

I grew up in the UK so this stuff is just worn out to me. What would be called "Dave Lee Travis" and "Simon Bates" music. or "Smashy and Nicey" if you ever saw the Harry Enfield show. None of which has a place on a supposed Indie/Alternative station.
gidgetgoestohell

You know how uncivilized and uncouth we Americans are Stu....LOL...what can I say???
Gidge

Stuartmm

Post by Stuartmm »

Look !!! I have turned into a grumpy old man !!!!!! :-)
gidgetgoestohell

Yes...yes you have! But we like you all the same, Stu....you just have a different perspective than I do....I am sure that Glenn would agree with you, though....
Gidge

Stuartmm

Post by Stuartmm »

[quote="Glenn"]
Seriously maybe he works for Jimmy Kimmel and that could be a great thing for Dicky no,,,? A step into t.v???[/quote]

He has worked for Jimmy longer than the MMS. He does the opening presentation and he can be seen as the camera pans across the band. He sits in the band "pit" very close to Jimmy.
rocknrolldetox

Post by rocknrolldetox »

This has a lot to do with some Indie presenters not toeing the (Clear Channel ) company line re topics/attitude . ...
I totally hear what your saying, BUT it seemed to me (and I am probably totally wrong) that they were not having any trouble finding advertising for the MMS. Other times of day yes, but not MMS. So even if the topics, 'tude etc didnt' fit into the their mindset they were presumably somewhat profitable or at least on their way to being profitable.

Question: How much is clear channel involved? I thought that they no longer handled the adverts? IE Entravision was on it's own.
LATaurus

Re: Digging

Post by LATaurus »

Stuartmm wrote:
I think Corrolla may have a guest we all know next week.

Still digging.

Talk to you later.
that makes sense, because Corrolla and Kimmell are good buds (I know their business manager)

I hadn't considered Corrolla as a serious alternative to KROQ while I had Dicky around.... I guess I'll have to tune in next week to see what I can learn! What's his "schtick"? Is he totally Howard Stern-like, or what?
Stuartmm

Post by Stuartmm »

[quote="rocknrolldetox"][quote]This has a lot to do with some Indie presenters not toeing the (Clear Channel ) company line re topics/attitude . ... [/quote]

Question: How much is clear channel involved? I thought that they no longer handled the adverts? IE Entravision was on it's own.[/quote]

The mindset is a carry over from where the current program and advertising director come from so it is still a CC attitude . LAst Friday, that was steele getting drunk acting like a giggling girl , asking for his head to get taken off by an Irish guy or girl for making up a jokey name like "seamus o'tool" . That was his idea of radio . Different than what we were used to on the MMS.

The radio-info.com forums are interesting places to learn things.
rocknrolldetox

Post by rocknrolldetox »

Oh mylanta, that was him? That kind of explains alot. Makes it sucks even more. Thanks for the link. I will explore those boards.
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

Stuartmm wrote:
rocknrolldetox wrote:
This has a lot to do with some Indie presenters not toeing the (Clear Channel ) company line re topics/attitude . ...
Question: How much is clear channel involved? I thought that they no longer handled the adverts? IE Entravision was on it's own.
The mindset is a carry over from where the current program and advertising director come from so it is still a CC attitude . LAst Friday, that was steele getting drunk acting like a giggling girl , asking for his head to get taken off by an Irish guy or girl for making up a jokey name like "seamus o'tool" . That was his idea of radio . Different than what we were used to on the MMS.

The radio-info.com forums are interesting places to learn things.
Steele sounded like a massive tool on that show....

I went to radio-info.com but I can't find a forum where they are discussing this topic, can you be more specific? thx
Stuartmm

Post by Stuartmm »

Dicky had mentioned on Tuesday, i think, that Steele, Stacey and Liz were going. When there was no Dolores O'Riordan and no reason given ( On Monday Stacey and Liz said she was apparently stuck in traffic , but she lives in the damn country and can also use a phone so maybe she was never coming on ) he was available to provide his own wacky brand of radio.
gidgetgoestohell

Rockandrolldetox...I owe you an appology...very insightfull you were up top....
Gidge

punk_freelancer

103.1 Ain't Got Dicky?

Post by punk_freelancer »

All I can say is that if the Mighty Morning Show is gone, I am done with Indie. I do not believe there is anything they could come up with that will come even close, their other shows only keep me mildly entertained.

:evil:
LATaurus

Re: 103.1 Ain't Got Dicky?

Post by LATaurus »

punk_freelancer wrote:All I can say is that if the Mighty Morning Show is gone, I am done with Indie. I do not believe there is anything they could come up with that will come even close, their other shows only keep me mildly entertained.

:evil:
The MMS is definitely history.

It's messed up, but it's true.........
rocknrolldetox

Post by rocknrolldetox »

Rockandrolldetox...I owe you an appology...very insightfull you were up top....
aw shucks.

None needed... it's been a rough day for us all I think. :D
gidgetgoestohell

When I am wrong...I am wrong...and I appologize accordingly....I came across strongly...and I am sorry....thank you for being so understanding...and yes...it has been a rough day....check you PM inbox...I have a message for you....
Gidge

Imus_Killum

Post by Imus_Killum »

This is absolute bullshit! MMS was a huge hit, they even alotted it for an extra hour each day. I am completely done with Indie as well. I spent all morning crying, cursing, throwing and slamming shit around (infantile I know, but I have uncontrollable anger management issues). I can't take this! My pathetic life depends on this show and it is now non-existant. I can forgive Dicky if it was his own choice to move on (which I doubt because he always mentions how much he loves doing the show), but If anyone else has made the choice for him, I hope that they burn in hell FOREVER! :twisted: Dicky is pretty desireable, I'm sure he will find an even better job.

Kris
"I wasn't born rich I'm good looking instead" - BossToneS
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

I just went through my email and found an email sent YESTERDAY about the Dick's Flicks premiere of Stoned that was apparently earlier tonight. I wonder how they promoted it at the premiere? Did they call it "Indie's Flicks" now? It seems implausible to have Dick's Flicks if you have no Dick! Take that as you will, Indie.

I don't buy the whole "Dicky's working for Jimmy Kimmel full time" explanation. As Stu mentioned, Dicky's been working for Kimmel for quite some time now. And even if Dicky decided to focus his time entirely on the Kimmel show, he would have at least had the balls to announce the MMS's ending to the people. He wouldn't have just picked up and walked off, and Indie wouldn't have just snagged his MMS link off their website so quickly. I smell a firing.

I say Dicky should call into Barely Legal Radio and ask about action regarding a breach of his contract.

In short, BRING BACK THE MIGHTY MORNING SHOW!...all this after St. Patrick's Day for Chrissake! :evil:
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
July Cleaver

Post by July Cleaver »

From the Adolescents myspace:
You have our blessing to repost.

The powers that be at "Indie"103.1 would like you to believe that they are an independent alternative to local gargantua alt station KROQ in Los Angeles.

Truth of the matter is that "Indie" is really a CLEAR CHANNEL puppet station, run from the shadows by a couple of tools from pussystation KIISFM.

We were willing to ply the game for a while, ignoring their obvious corporate rock ties because- on the surface at least- there was fun to be had in hearing great jocks like steve jones, joe sib, joe escalante, rob zombie, and henry rollins.

who could resist. they were taking a chance and shaking up the status quo, and it was fun- even if the station bosses were flat out LYING and HIDING who was REALLY running the show.

A touch over a year ago they pulled the brilliant coup- and ran ex vocalist of Boston's Mighty Mighty Bosstones Dicky Barrett in the suicide slot- 7AM to 10AM against the most popular LA station's lineups.

Not only did Dicky rise to the ocassion, but he knocked us dead. He played the crowd, the adolesents, madness. He had tattoo artists come in and tatto on tuesdays. free form fun- musically and verbally- with some of the best dialogue and banter between DJ and support staff that I have EVER heard on radio ANYWHERE in this country.

It was the first daytime radio show I remember listening to with any enthusiasm and regularity since....geez....... the insane darryl wayne was running kroq outta a pasadena hotel bathroom in the 1970's.

The Mighty Morning Show rocked.

Now you can bet that CLEAR CHANNEL- I mean "Indie" will have some pre-made lameass excuse for pulling the show- and it will revolve around sponsors, and listener numbers being low- and any other bullshit they can come up with to put the blame on the show- but the bottom line is this:

The Mighty Morning Show was free form enough to exercsise the FIRST AMMENDMENT in a live, open forum. They said the kinds of things that right wing chicken wing doesn't want you to hear.

take a look at the cities that clear channel affiliates run out of.
THINK: COWBOY> BUSH> WAR>

http://www.cjr.org/tools/owners/clearchannel.asp

and READ

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Chan ... unications

"Indie" radio: joke.

The more I read, the happier I am that the MMS is off their station. The sad thing is that alot of us had a lot of hope that they were different- that they would run a show as controversial and cutting edge as the Mighty Morning Show.

Dicky, Chuck, Liz. We loved the show.

Clear Channel: KISS OUR ASSES.

send your love to puppet below. you'll go to heaven.

msteele@entravision.com
java

Post by java »

Clear Channel may not own Indie..but it does own the advertising featured on the station.........
Logic: The Art Of Being Wrong With Confidence
MicheBel

No longer involved

Post by MicheBel »

rocknrolldetox wrote:Question: How much is clear channel involved? I thought that they no longer handled the adverts? IE Entravision was on it's own.
You are correct, Stu is wrong. Clear Channel hasn't handled the ads for a long time now (nearly a year, I think). And they NEVER owned Indie, Entravision does. (Which is hardly the corporate monolith that Clear Channel is.)
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
java

Post by java »

If interested..check out Clear Channels Radio Stations...Indie is listed amongst them..with text that implies they have a vested interest in the station...no matter the extent of the involvement...
Logic: The Art Of Being Wrong With Confidence
MicheBel

NO Clear Channel

Post by MicheBel »

java wrote:Clear Channel may not own Indie..but it does own the advertising featured on the station.........
NO, IT DOESN'T, JAVA. With all due respect, Clear Channel doesn't have anything to do with Indie. Period. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

And I truly can't believe all these fair-weather friends here. Indie is still a great station. It still plays awesome music, and yes, run by the amazing Michael Steele, who makes incredible decisions. I am behind whatever he chooses to do 100%, and I'm sure whatever he decides to put in the morning will be as fabulous as the rest of Indie.

As for those of you who don't think so, there's this station at the end of the dial you might like...
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
joyas1999

From AllAccess.com

Post by joyas1999 »

Indie 103-1 Has Mighty Mighty Morning Show Opening

Dicky Barrett
ENTRAVISION Alternative KDLD-KDLE (INDIE 103-1)/LOS ANGELES morning man/lead singer of THE MIGHTY MIGHTY BOSSTONES DICKY BARRETT has exited to focus fulltime on the JIMMY KIMMEL LIVE show.

INDIE 103-1 PD MICHAEL STEELE is actively looking for a new morning show. Send your stuff to msteele@entravision.com or INDIE 103-1, MICHAEL STEELE, 5700 Wilshire Blvd. Suite #250, LOS ANGELES, CA 90036.

:cry: :evil: :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil: :cry: :evil:
Inkedlolita

BRING BACK DICKY!!!!

Post by Inkedlolita »

I sent this email to 3 different people over at the indie station- something is VERY wrong!

Have I missed something? I listen every morning and very much look forward to my drive into work, ONLY because I listen to Dicky Barrett and the Mighty Morning Show... has it been taken off the air forever? The Horror!... Please tell me it isn't so!!!

A very sad Indie listener- Inkedlolita :x
Inkedlolita
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:Ya know what Miche....why do you feel the need to dirty this thread by your presence? We all know how you feel.

You ARE mean and spiteful. And again, don't spin this as a I LOVE INDIE opportunity. You have personal issues with Dicky and are in no way objective. The people that are posting here ENJOYED the MMS. We liked Dicky and guess what? DICKY LIKES US.

Don't you have pages and pages of YES.NET to print so you can compile your weekly list of the best 1,000,000,000 songs that Indie played, which you didn't hear, to bore us with?????

So, move on sister. Shut it and go play over at Rotten Tomatoes, where the sad sacks who post there might actually CARE about what you say.
way to go, Gidge....

Dicky emailed me back and said he'd been fired, plain and simple. I'm not buying the "Steele is a genius I support him 10000000%" bullshit. This was the best morning show I've heard in my 25+ years of listening to LA radio.

I almost couldn't get out of bed this morning.... felt like I had nothing to look forward to.
Stuartmm

Post by Stuartmm »

I thought i felt something cold cross over my grave this morning.

Go read my postings elsewhere and the implications of the statements here . You think if indie really started taking share away from CC channels rather than infinity stations that they would be left alone.

The Program and Station manager came from Clear Channel they are quite clearly of that mindset. We all know that the paychecks from CC stopped when the advertising agreement ended last year. That does not however change how someone thinks about running a radio station. It is quite clear that Indie has been changing into A KIIS/KROQ lite for some time now. If you do not see that then you really need to listen to the shows instead of just taking listings from web sites.

This station did not get national recognition by playing wolfmother/Morrissey/she wants revenge etc. That all came after riding on the coattails of a real alternatie station. It is now, probably accidentally due to the selection of certain djs, "popular"/cool so that the less creative want to ride the success . That also means they want to have more input. If that means the shows becoming more like LAst Fridays show from Dublin then the station is in trouble.

If you want to be thought of as more than just an irritant you need to think things through more thoroughly, Mic. Just because they are not paying the advertising dollars doesnt mean there is not some leverage.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I just received this telegram from Sir Winston Cecil Weatherby IV.

start

"Outraged by Indie's decision to cut MMS what. Jolly rotton luck. Tell those corporate scum bags they deserve six of the best on the rear.

Must go now as I am having tea & cucumber sandwhiches with the Queen.

Taly ho pip pip

Up Yours.

Sir Winston

stop
punk_freelancer

Post by punk_freelancer »

Here's a copy of the email I just sent to Indie, with a copy of the email I intend to send to all of Indie's sponsors:
----
To Whom it May Concern:

I would like to know the details regarding the termination of the Mighty Morning Show earlier this week.

The following is a draft of the letter I intend to send to all of your sponsors:

===============
Dear Indie 103.1 Sponsor:

I am writing because I feel you should be aware that I no longer listen to Indie 103.1 since the termination of the Mighty Morning Show with Dicky Barrett. I consider the rest of their programming only mildly entertaining and not strong enough to win over my loyalty. The Mighty Morning Show, however, was quite possibly my favorite radio show of all time. Dicky's voice, personality and musical choices brought a deep joy to my morning.

I am a single, thirty-six year old female and a small business owner. I am in charge of all financial decisions regarding both my household and my business. Your advertising dollars will no longer reach my ears. You may wish to take this into consideration with further advertising on Indie 103.1.

Once I learn the reasons for the termination of the Mighty Morning Show, I may also go out of my way to avoid using the services of Indie 103.1 sponsors.

Thank you for your time.
===============

I would be very interested in hearing your response before sending the above letter to your sponsors. Thank you.
----
Not expecting to get what I want, but I suspect it'll get some notice.