More Indie Education

Talk about the Indie 103.1 shows.

Moderator: Admin

gidgetgoestohell

More Indie Education

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

From Tony Reflex of the Adolescents:

We are getting NASTY letters and posts from 'Indie 103" Myspace and the spelling challenged indie-corp employee who thinks we tell you what to think and what to do. They think we're dumbshits and that you are sheep.

WHY?

INDIE (corp) WE LOVE YOU!

AND HBC, CLEAR CHANNEL, ENTRAVISION, and UNIVISION!!!!

We aren't telling any one what to think. We encourage dialogue and research.

same tools, same ideas, same interest groups, different name on the letterhead......

keep in mind we get mail insisting absolutely NO AFFILIATION WITH CC

GO FOR IT.

WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO FIND THE LINKS, POST THEM ON OUR BLOG, AND CONTINUE THIS DIALOGUE WITH "Indie" (corp)

if i call it a burger, but you call it a beef patty- is it the same thing?

Here's what we found: These are direct quotes from the sources below.

QUOTE:
Univision, which owns 53 television stations around the
country, is seeking approval from the Federal
Communications Commission to add more than 60 radio
stations to its properties by merging with the Hispanic
Broadcasting Corporation of Dallas, whose biggest
shareholder is the radio giant Clear Channel
Communications. Univision officials said the move
would help them compete more evenly with big Englishlanguage
media companies like Viacom Inc. and Disney
for ad dollars.

from 2002. yes. old news. yes, we know.

QUOTE:
Already a substantial media group, Los Angeles's Univision owns the Univision and TeleFutura television networks as well as 50 television stations, Galavision cable network, Univision Music Group and Univision Online.

"Univision's entrance into [the radio] business will provide us with revenue enhancement and earnings diversification as well as significant growth opportunities through coordinated sales and promotional efforts," said A. Jerrold Perenchio, Univision's chairman and chief executive. "In addition, Hispanic Broadcasting has essentially no debt, which will strengthen Univision's balance sheet."

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... ..continue

FROM 2003:
In Washington, a Univision affiliate, WMDO, Channel 30, in Silver Spring, is owned by Entravision Communications Corp., a Santa Monica, Calif.-based media company in which Univision owns a stake. Hispanic Broadcasting owns no radio stations in the region.

Hispanic Broadcasting already is part of a huge media conglomerate: 26 percent of its stock is owned by Clear Channel Communications Inc., the nation's largest radio chain with more than 1,200 stations. Clear Channel will own about 7 percent of the combined company.

http://msl1.mit.edu/furdlog/docs/nytime ... vision.pdf

FROM 2004
Clear Channel Communications Inc., which is based in San Antonio, owns six radio stations as well as the NBC television affiliate in the city. Clear Channel also owns a small piece (about 4 percent) of Univision by virtue of Univision's controversial merger with Hispanic Broadcasting Corp.

http://www.openairwaves.org/telecom/report.aspx?aid=146

2006. things to come?

Entravision, which owns more than 50 Spanish language radio stations, a billboard business and TV stations that are affiliated with the Univision network, could be an interesting acquisition target for whoever winds up purchasing Univision, said Marla Backer, an analyst with Soleil – Research Associates.

"It is interesting since Entravision accounts for about 25 percent of the distribution of Univision. I'm not sure if there is a compelling need for someone to buy them now, but it could be an interesting tuck-in deal for whatever party buys Univision," she said.

However, antitrust concerns could put a snag on such a deal. Univision actually just sold a portion of its Entravision stake back to the company as part of an agreement struck with the Department of Justice after Univision bought Hispanic Broadcasting Corp., an Entravision competitor, in 2003.

With that in mind, Philip Remek, an analyst with Guzman & Co., said that a more likely candidate to take a look at Entravision would be radio giant Clear Channel Communications.

http://money.cnn.com/2006/03/10/news/co ... ish_media/
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

yes they are melons... watermelons
"The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers."

- Doug McKenzie
gidgetgoestohell

More from Tony Reflex:

Dicky's assertion on this is that he was dismissed shortly after making a pro-choice statement. That would be par for course if you look at Clear Channel and it's web of companies. If you look at the employees in the higher ranks as clear channel mind set, it is also par for course. If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck.....

we've posted and bulletined where to find the stories on this. there is a good one at alternative press.

our point? we have been duped.

they planned it all very well- it was like the original thrust of "the blair witch project" or "oprah's favorite book." remember the dead air? the "no money for phones?" it all laid out and presented as pirate in nature- it wasn't. it was a great trick. and it was corporate manipulation to put on an 'independent' facade. and we're not gonna stop talking about it.

Dicky was fired by a CORPORATE rock station that professes to be INDEPENDENT. They state that DJ's have COMPLETE ARTISTIC FREEDOM TO PLAY AND SAY WHAT THEY WANT- and i have received this statement/ read this ad nauseum. it just don't seem to hold true.

Corp(se)103.1 will continue, but the sad reality is that their golden year has passed. The bullshit detector is on, and i detect more crap to follow.

Corporate 103.1 is a LIE

THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES
Gidge

MicheBel

let's clarify

Post by MicheBel »

1. Indie is not owned by Clear Channel

2. Dicky wasn't fired for being pro-choice on air

Let's quit spewing out these inaccuracies, shall we? It's making Jack's Shack look bad.
gidgetgoestohell wrote:More from Tony Reflex:
remember the dead air? the "no money for phones?" it all laid out and presented as pirate in nature- it wasn't. it was a great trick. and it was corporate manipulation to put on an 'independent' facade. and we're not gonna stop talking about it.
This statement, particularly, is unbelievable. Like any corporation would actually come up with an idea to not have phones. hahahahaha

What is it you're smoking over there, Tony? I need some of that.
gidgetgoestohell wrote:More from Tony Reflex:
Dicky was fired by a CORPORATE rock station that professes to be INDEPENDENT. They state that DJ's have COMPLETE ARTISTIC FREEDOM TO PLAY AND SAY WHAT THEY WANT- and i have received this statement/ read this ad nauseum. it just don't seem to hold true.
Actually, that's NEVER been true. The only one they talk about as having "complete" freedom to play what he wants is Steve Jones on Jonesy's Jukebox. Contrary to what Dicky said in here, he NEVER had that freedom.

It's still terrestrial radio, which has bills to pay. They can't say what they want either (even Steve) because they are regulated by the FCC. That's just the way it is. You wanna write letters, go write the FCC and have that swearing nonsense removed. At least that would be a valuable use of your time.
Last edited by MicheBel on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
MicheBel

tantrums?

Post by MicheBel »

Well, that's certainly closer than that he had a little halo, and never did any wrong, like some in here would have you believe...
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
gidgetgoestohell

Another former Indie listener......

This is a great example of why radio SUCKS!!!!!!
I can't properly express how much corporate radio just sucks the life force out of it's listeners. No wonder Howard Stern left. There are still terrestrial radio stations out there that exist whose purpose is to entertain and quite possibly expose someone to new music (KGSR in Austin is one) but none of these are A) corporate owned and 2)located in L.A. (KCRW obviously does not count since we subscribers pay for it).

Viva le' Ipod, Viva le' Sirius and XM
Gidge

gidgetgoestohell

It is my understanding Howard Stern talked about dildo's and whores ‘til the cows came home with no problem. The day after Mr. Stern said “I read some Al Franken books and I no longer support the President or his war” guess what? He was off all the Clear Channel stations "but Indies not Clear Channel" it is in CC's best interest for Indie to be on the air and Steele is a Clear Channel foot solider so is Dawn. All of the other jocks are about image and on so little and in non threatening time slots.

Dicky wore his political points of view on his sleeve and allowed both sides to have their say You have to ask yourself, what is Dawn and Steele’s allegiance: is to Clear Channel and what is Clear Channels political agenda? Or is it to a truly independent station? I think we all know the answer to this question.
Gidge

gidgetgoestohell

Go Tony Go....

day two. dave navarro. don't hate me cuz my wife is beautiful. sports chalet. i wanted to cry.

"dicky was fired. i don't know anything, i just showed up cuz they asked me to. here, listen. i'm going on tour. plug plug. new band. new record, plug, plug."

just a hired gun, like when he was in the chili peppers filling in for someone else's gig.

oops, phallus and vibrators. how cutting edge. like biology class.

2/3 of the remaining team? my prediction is they'll be shown the door as soon as they help re-establish the new team. so sad.

navarro- pretty much there to restate what the powers that be want known: "indie is not clear channel."

so. i do some research on entravision/univision/clear channel. learn about downsizing shares to 15% under fed regs. check the cnn business- entravision- and what's this? possible CC buyout in the future? what does it mean?

a program director and a sales rep from upper kiis fm. ex-clear channel. but they don't work there anymore.

hey- wasn't hispanic broadcasting company (HBC) partially owned by clear channel? aren't they now part of univision? Aren't Univision and Entravision linked? isn't the link in half the US markets CC?

Why deny?

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck....

STAND UP AND ADMIT WHO YOU ARE! IT'S OK! STAND UP FOR SOMETHING!!!!

What the hell difference does it make? Is it a fed cap thing? is it to keep them off your back so you can sell fish tacos to the next generation of trekkies?

it can't be that old passe' "indie" thing- we've pretty much established that you're a corporate rock station, so....wtf? you can't buy cred from a punk rock soccer mom with a mercedes benz commercial- it can't be your hip marketability, for crying out loud. you people are as big of dorks as me.

so.... what is it?
Gidge

robert

Post by robert »

That 2/3 of the remaining is what still nudges me. I really wonder why Chuck isnt there. Perhaps he left the MMS to peruse Dead Air full time and they wish him the best of luck. Does anyone have a good relationship with Chuck so that we can get what his deal is? Solidarity with Dicky, perhaps. Maybe that is just a romantic notion from a fan.
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:Go Tony Go....

day two. dave navarro. don't hate me cuz my wife is beautiful. sports chalet. i wanted to cry.

so.... what is it?
that was beautiful

i'm gonna email it to steele.... he's been getting a lot of email from me lately.... i'm sure he really appreciates it!
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

robert wrote:That 2/3 of the remaining is what still nudges me. I really wonder why Chuck isnt there. Perhaps he left the MMS to peruse Dead Air full time and they wish him the best of luck. Does anyone have a good relationship with Chuck so that we can get what his deal is? Solidarity with Dicky, perhaps. Maybe that is just a romantic notion from a fan.
I was wondering about this as well.... Gidge? any info?
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

LATaurus wrote:
robert wrote:That 2/3 of the remaining is what still nudges me. I really wonder why Chuck isnt there. Perhaps he left the MMS to peruse Dead Air full time and they wish him the best of luck. Does anyone have a good relationship with Chuck so that we can get what his deal is? Solidarity with Dicky, perhaps. Maybe that is just a romantic notion from a fan.
I was wondering about this as well.... Gidge? any info?
Robert, LA, I feel the same. Chuck was one of my favorite people on the station and had sent me some really kind replies in the past in response to emails I had sent to him.
I wrote to him on Sunday, both because I felt like he'd give a straight up answer and because I wanted to know about his future plans after all of this. Unfortunately, I have yet to receive a reply. :?

I'll keep you updated if I hear anything.
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
gidgetgoestohell

I have no idea about Chuck either....
Gidge

jr

Post by jr »

i thought about Chuck today too...
so that would be 1/2 of the MMS is still there....
the XX half.
Chuck is COOL!!
i would love to know why he isnt there in the morning...
other than it is damn early and Dicky is not.

PS- who was on today because I couldnt turn the knob fast enough to get his shrill voice off my radio and plug my ipod in.
12 bellz... YOU DO UNDERSTAND??!!
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

Chuck's show Dead Air is still on, apparently, at least as of last Sunday

http://www.indie1031.fm/shows/deadair.php
MicheBel

Chuck is there

Post by MicheBel »

assholitis wrote:Robert, LA, I feel the same. Chuck was one of my favorite people on the station and had sent me some really kind replies in the past in response to emails I had sent to him.
I wrote to him on Sunday, both because I felt like he'd give a straight up answer and because I wanted to know about his future plans after all of this. Unfortunately, I have yet to receive a reply. :?

I'll keep you updated if I hear anything.
WAS? Chuck is still there. Dicky was the one fired. Chuck did Dead Air on Sunday night, and filled in for Henry Rollins last night. And he's on the commercials. What makes you think Chuck isn't there? He's there.