Dave Navarro in the Morning!

Talk about the Indie 103.1 shows.

Moderator: Admin

MicheBel

Dave Navarro in the Morning!

Post by MicheBel »

So, Dave's clearing up a lot of the misinformation being spewed out here.

1. Indie is not affiliated in any way with Clear Channel

2. Dicky was fired, and is not coming back

3. Stacey and Liz get embarrassed by vibrators in the morning (on air)
(Well, OK, no one talked about that in here)

But it's been awesome radio so far.

NO CLEAR CHANNEL affiliation. Everyone get that?
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
tigerlounge

Dave in the Morning

Post by tigerlounge »

Just goes to show how hard it is to do compelling morning radio.

Useless.
robert

Post by robert »

Honestly Dave wasnt that bad, but if the suits were pissed about the political comments and were looking to make it more "soccer mom safe" as was alluded too, then how the hell are they going to feel about teh vibrator and the sexual overtones that Dave brings. It wasnt bad, but i thought Dickie was better.

We do know that Dave isnt going to be around often tho since he is touring
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

robert wrote:Honestly Dave wasnt that bad, but if the suits were pissed about the political comments and were looking to make it more "soccer mom safe" as was alluded too, then how the hell are they going to feel about teh vibrator and the sexual overtones that Dave brings. It wasnt bad, but i thought Dickie was better.

We do know that Dave isnt going to be around often tho since he is touring
well i'm sure van stone would love to come back! :roll:
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

Shaaaa Booooobert...but he's like married to like...CARMEN ELECTRA...like...yeah like...and he goes to the Viper room too...~nod nod nod~

I suppose vibrator comments won't offend soccer moms in the least...naaaaa....never happen....
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:Shaaaa Booooobert...but he's like married to like...CARMEN ELECTRA...like...yeah like...and he goes to the Viper room too...~nod nod nod~

I suppose vibrator comments won't offend soccer moms in the least...naaaaa....never happen....
no, i'd love for my 12 year old daughter to listen to vibrator humor with me on the way to school.... great bonding opportunity..... yyyyyyep

that was one of the things that drove me from KROQ's morning show... too much raunch for the princess
robert

Post by robert »

Honestly, i think it is a PR move. They are getting slammed by Dicky for playlist changes and soccer mom offenses, so they get Navarro in for a few weeks to play what he wants and offend the hell out of the KBIG crowd then when he tours they bring in someone that follows the rules.

That is what i would do if i were working over there.
java

Post by java »

I recently polled a soccer mom on the offensiveness of vibrators..and she couldn't hear me ask the question as the loud buzzing noise in the background precluded conversation...imagine that :shock:
Logic: The Art Of Being Wrong With Confidence
jr

Post by jr »

LATaurus wrote:
gidgetgoestohell wrote:Shaaaa Booooobert...but he's like married to like...CARMEN ELECTRA...like...yeah like...and he goes to the Viper room too...~nod nod nod~

no, i'd love for my 12 year old daughter to listen to vibrator humor with me on the way to school.... great bonding opportunity..... yyyyyyep

that was one of the things that drove me from KROQ's morning show... too much raunch for the princess
the vibrator didnt bug me as much as the girls that called in pissing themselves to talk to dave. and the pinup girl BS. Dave was entertaining enough... but the "hookers, hookers and more hookers...." that shit sucks.... AND Michael Steele going on there....the guy sounds like a tool. STOP self promoting yourself,.... we get it. You are in charge... now, go back to your office and eat a fish taco or sumtin.
12 bellz... YOU DO UNDERSTAND??!!
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

:lol:
jr

Post by jr »

btw - my 7 year old LOVES the vibe humor.. (JUST KIDDING)
seriously though my 60 yr old mother LOVES Navarro... so I think they are tapping into a new segment of the population. Of course she doesnt drive anymore and cant figure out the internet radio hookup.. so she WONT be listening but hey...... GREAT JOB INDIE!!!!
(when my mother told me she thougth Navarro was Hot... i threw up a little) just so you know.
rotter

Post by rotter »

I'll have 1 fish taco with jr sauce! :lol:
jr

Post by jr »

:shock:
java

Post by java »

Is that sauce available at Wahoo's?? Goes to check out the menu
robert

Re: guess again

Post by robert »

MicheBel wrote:
robert wrote:Honestly Dave wasnt that bad, but if the suits were pissed about the political comments and were looking to make it more "soccer mom safe" as was alluded too, then how the hell are they going to feel about teh vibrator and the sexual overtones that Dave brings. It wasnt bad, but i thought Dickie was better.
The "suits" aren't pissed about political comments. That is an untrue statement. As having Dave Navarro on in the morning, complete with vibrator, proved.

(I loved it this am!)
While i agree that it may be a possiblity that the people in charge of the station (specifically the GM) were not trying to reduce the political commentary ont eh show i do see that having Dave on as a way to prove that they are still "against the man." Again, it reeks of PR.
MicheBel

total crap

Post by MicheBel »

I don't think that's WHY they had Dave on at all. He works with Camp Freddy, he was available. He was willing to get up at ungodly hours. Bam, he's in.

But, I do think (as a listener), that he pretty much talked about whatever he wanted, used a lot of words that people might not like, and you're not going to see him thrown off the air. So this specious argument that people are throwing around that Dicky's firing has anything to do with First Amendment rights being violated is complete and utter crap.
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
robert

Re: total crap

Post by robert »

MicheBel wrote:So this specious argument that people are throwing around that Dicky's firing has anything to do with First Amendment rights being violated is complete and utter crap.
I respectfully disagree that the arguement is crap. according to Dicky's interview xplaing the story with Dawn the GM at the station she was unhappy with the content of his comments. I am not in a position to call Dicky a liar in which case i would say that the argument has legitimacy.
gidgetgoestohell

When you start a show late and have to explain to listeners which vast corporate network owns a station there may be some problems. Nice of Dave to say they would be screening calls though.
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:When you start a show late and have to explain to listeners which vast corporate network owns a station there may be some problems. Nice of Dave to say they would be screening calls though.
started late!?!?!

that's not very mainstream..... tsk, tsk
gidgetgoestohell

Me thinks that Senor Dave...he protestith too much...aye?? Aye....
Gidge

tigerlounge

Juvenile

Post by tigerlounge »

Say what you will about Dicky, he was smart and sharp. Had a really diverse group of guests - and the show was always funny and / or stimulating. Dave Navarro talking about hookers is neither.

I can't wait to hear the good news that Dicky has scored another gig - and hopefully one I can hear on the 'net or satellite...
gidgetgoestohell

Wit his six-str'n skills best described as a merga between heavy metal, psychedelia n modern riznock, Dave Navarro became one of alternizzles fizzirst true guitar heroes (wit sizzuch notorious bands as Jane's Addiction n The Red Hot Chili Brotha.
Gidge

java

Post by java »

gidgoogle
LATaurus

Re: Juvenile

Post by LATaurus »

tigerlounge wrote:Say what you will about Dicky, he was smart and sharp. Had a really diverse group of guests - and the show was always funny and / or stimulating. Dave Navarro talking about hookers is neither.

I can't wait to hear the good news that Dicky has scored another gig - and hopefully one I can hear on the 'net or satellite...
hoping!!!!
MicheBel

Re: total crap

Post by MicheBel »

robert wrote:I respectfully disagree that the arguement is crap. according to Dicky's interview xplaing the story with Dawn the GM at the station she was unhappy with the content of his comments. I am not in a position to call Dicky a liar in which case i would say that the argument has legitimacy.
Yeah, well, I'll call Dicky a liar then.

PLENTY of other issues going on there. Just because HE said that's what happened...doesn't make it what happened. AND it wasn't just one factor.

Even if you don't believe me: listen to the rest of Indie. It doesn't make sense. Doesn't Steve Jones have all kinds of people on his show, who say ALL KINDS of "incendiary things"? Did you HEAR Tommy Chong? You don't see ANYONE even mentioning the possibility of firing Jonesy, now do you? If that was it....

Camp Freddy talks about whatever they want. Rollins talks about whatever he wants. There is plenty of freedom of speech going on all over Indie's airwaves. It's just that Dicky knew that's where it would hurt Indie the most, if he said that. Doesn't make it true.

Hell, there were rumors of Dicky getting fired and/or being on shaky ground from pretty much Day One. Please look at both sides here. And don't even take my word for it. Examine the WHOLE PICTURE on your own.

The "no free speech cause we're so corporate" argument doesn't wash. Not one IOTA. Not with Indie.

I'm all about righteous indignation when people's voices are being censored. That is SO not what was going on here.
MicheBel

sheesh

Post by MicheBel »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:When you start a show late and have to explain to listeners which vast corporate network owns a station there may be some problems. Nice of Dave to say they would be screening calls though.
Jeez, if I picked on little items like this every time DICKY and the MMS show screwed up, there would be about 100,000 more posts on Jack's Shack.

They have a new engineer, not Chuck, who was having board problems. Cut him some slack.

And Dave is stating who exactly owns INDIE because of you PEOPLE in here going out of control with this "Clear Channel" nonsense that should have died over a year ago, when there was even only a little Clear Channel involvement. He's clarifying it ON AIR. I would think you would want that! No, I'm sure some of you are going around still thinking there is some secret covert Clear Channel affiliation anyway. Give it up!

Sheesh. And you give me crap about my "inaccuracies"! I've NEVER once stated something so grossly wrong as the Clear Channel inaccuracy.

They HAVE to screen calls. Otherwise, they'd have all you guys calling in and screaming "WHERE's DICKY?" As Dave proved when he took a call randomly.

Get over it. Let's move on.

DICKY'S GONE.
MicheBel

Dicky

Post by MicheBel »

tigerlounge wrote:Say what you will about Dicky, he was smart and sharp. Had a really diverse group of guests - and the show was always funny and / or stimulating.
Most of the guests on Dicky's show were booked by INDIE. Whoever takes over in the morning will continue to have good, interesting, cool guests. And I totally believe that whoever it is will be very stimulating to listen to as well.
tigerlounge wrote:Dave Navarro talking about hookers is neither.
Well, I totally disagree with that.
tigerlounge wrote:I can't wait to hear the good news that Dicky has scored another gig - and hopefully one I can hear on the 'net or satellite...
Yeah, good luck with that. Like Mr. Steele said, you won't be seeing him at KROQ anytime soon...
robert

Post by robert »

Actually Michie brought up a good point: i didnt think that new guy sounded like chuck either. Where is he since he is a valued employee of the station?

I have looked at the whole issue and i think that some of his comments maybe inflammatory for his time slot. I am not a parent, but i know that we have more than a few. Think of the two DJs that were on during school travel time. TK and Dicky. Night and Day as far as comments are concerned for good or bad it doenst matter. If you were trying to reach out the market that has the most spending power (teens) but their parents were complaining how would you rectify that?

Dickie may have been on thin ice since he was hired (but i think that was mostly his self-deprecating retoric) then why did it come so quickly without a backup in the wings?

Just thories and thoughts.
MicheBel

fast talkers

Post by MicheBel »

How about this? Because maybe Indie isn't the big bad corporate bad guy that everyone is painting them as, but they were actually trying to work out the issues with Dicky.

That press release, though, pretty much sealed his fate. Stupid move on his part.

But then, so was (IMHO) attacking a loyal listener on air. He seems to like doing extreme things to blow up whatever good points he's earned.

And I keep telling you--and I'm sure they're going to get in there someone who talks fast and loose like Navarro to prove it--it WASN'T a free speech issue. At all. You'll see.

(I mean, which morning show IS "kid-friendly"? That isn't the way to get ratings. Howard Stern was the raunchiest of all. I'm pretty sure he had some decent ratings in the AM...)

Oh, and don't worry about Chuck. He's a valued part of Indie. Listen to him on Dead Air Sunday nights for a good fix. I'm sure more will be revealed about Chuck's whereabouts soon.
robert

Post by robert »

fair enough
MicheBel

fairness

Post by MicheBel »

Robert, I can't tell you how nice it is to have a reasonable person on here to talk to. Thank you for your grace and consideration.
--M
jr

Post by jr »

the example of Jonesy saying whatever he wants is not fair to Dicky...
I dont care how much we all loved Dicky...
if INDIE fired Jonesy... there would be a revolution... no slight to Dicky...
but Jonesy is the Indie Poster Child / Golden Boy / Street Cred... etc....
he put em on the map. period.
MicheBel

Jonesy is god

Post by MicheBel »

I absolutely agree, JR. Absolutely.
gidgetgoestohell

jr wrote:the example of Jonesy saying whatever he wants is not fair to Dicky...
I dont care how much we all loved Dicky...
if INDIE fired Jonesy... there would be a revolution... no slight to Dicky...
but Jonesy is the Indie Poster Child / Golden Boy / Street Cred... etc....
he put em on the map. period.
JR...while I agree with the essence of what you are saying...it was not until Dicky and the MMS came on that my soul sang....along with each and every down and dirty old school punk rock song that he played....hearing many a familiar song from my youth..on a morning show did my ears AND my hard heart good....
Gidge

jr

Post by jr »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:
jr wrote: JR...while I agree with the essence of what you are saying...it was not until Dicky and the MMS came on that my soul sang....along with each and every down and dirty old school punk rock song that he played....hearing many a familiar song from my youth..on a morning show did my ears AND my hard heart good....
oh, i agree that Dicky has his fan base and I love Dicky and will continue to nag Indie about their poor decision regarding his dismissal; however it is Jonesy that the Indie suits point to as the feather in their cap.... and it is the reason that I and many others originally tuned in to Indie.. although not the only reason I became a fan of the station and continued to add shows to my favorites list. .. including Dicky - his show, musical tastes, personality and for being true to himself... and us.
gidgetgoestohell

His trueness and his out and out enjoyment in a job well done...rounded out by his honest love for his listeners...his loyalty to the music that made him into the man that he is...yup yup yup....I miss Dicky....
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:His trueness and his out and out enjoyment in a job well done...rounded out by his honest love for his listeners...his loyalty to the music that made him into the man that he is...yup yup yup....I miss Dicky....
I really miss his humor and wit.... I would nearly pee my pants every time he called W "our most adorable president" :lol:
gidgetgoestohell

...and I loved the way that he interupted Liz....and you know what? I think she did too.....
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

The news was usually on when I would drive the princess to school... we'd laugh at Dicky and Liz together... she misses the show (almost) as much as I do!
gidgetgoestohell

I know..my son enjoyed Dicky very much...and as I have said ad naseum....Dicky has been VERY good to The Kid.....he's a bit bewildered by how quickly this all took place....as am I.....
Gidge

jr

Post by jr »

dicky is my daughters first autograph that she procured on a tee....
and he was absolutely charming, and incredibly sweet .... she was enamored... and she has the tee hanging in her room
YES it is a shock to her as well..... she has her iPod earphones in now on the ride to school as well...
nice mom / daughter bonding musical experience... taken away . SNAP.
thanks INDIE..
gidgetgoestohell

That's exactly what I mean too Jr....when he was having a cover day...The Kid was off school for some funky holiday and I was takinghim to a friends in Irvine on my way to work and we called in and asked for The Damned White Rabbit and Dicky played it...we were laughing....trying to think of other songs to request...The Kid is 17 and pretty good about us spending time together....but it was special and I will cherish the memory.....
Gidge

LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

I agree with you both completely.... listening to the MMS together was a great bonding experience for us
obiwankobe

Re: Dave Navarro in the Morning!

Post by obiwankobe »

MicheBel wrote:So, Dave's clearing up a lot of the misinformation being spewed out here.

1. Indie is not affiliated in any way with Clear Channel

2. Dicky was fired, and is not coming back

3. Stacey and Liz get embarrassed by vibrators in the morning (on air)
(Well, OK, no one talked about that in here)

But it's been awesome radio so far.

NO CLEAR CHANNEL affiliation. Everyone get that?
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
MicheBel

misery loves...

Post by MicheBel »

LATaurus wrote:The news was usually on when I would drive the princess to school... we'd laugh at Dicky and Liz together... she misses the show (almost) as much as I do!
Funny. Liz is still there, doing the news as usual. You could tune in every day if you enjoy her news reports so much...
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

dave navarro would seem to be the antithesis of independent rock and more like a corporate glam spokesperson. i mean indie people should be against being total media whores, whereas there isnt a camera or radio mic that navarro wont try to hump.
"The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers."

- Doug McKenzie
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I think Navarro is good. Camp Freddy is perhaps my favorite indie show.

I know he comes of cocky sometimes but it's just that over the top, rock star, finger up my butt attitude. I think it is pretty funny. I think they are just taking the piss most of the time and getting away with as much as they can.

Maybe it's just casue I'm just an old school Janes addiction/peppers fan.
java

Post by java »

The Red Hot Chili Peppers were asked once to describe how they felt about former guitarist Dave Navarro's guitar playing and how it compared with the Chili's musical philosophy...and the reply was...well, Dave is a great rock star..... I kinda feel the same about his abilities as an on-air personality... :lol: OK..not terribly relevant..but it kept ringing in my head while listening to his fill-in gig this week...
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

well i respect his musical accomplishments, like Janes Addiction and was he in Porno's for Pyros? or was that the drummer and perry... but he is definitely the prototype rockstar
"The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers."

- Doug McKenzie
java

Post by java »

yep..he's very comfortable with stardom...meaning..he wears it well..