A bad Jonesy

Talk about the Indie 103.1 shows.

Moderator: Admin

MicheBel

A bad Jonesy

Post by MicheBel »

Wow. I can't believe it. After all this time of listening, finally a somewhat mediocre Jonesy show.

Who are those British Hotairpower fucks he had on yesterday? That guy was so morose, I wanted to slap him. Poor Jonesy kept asking him questions, trying to pull him out, and the guy was just a ZERO. Nothing. You could just feel the depression in that studio. God, I hated it.

Whoever made the brilliant decision to keep those idiots on in the am rebroadcast instead of putting them on at night was so right. That was DREADFUL radio. (Not Jonesy's fault, the band was just awful.)

--Miche
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

See, now I thought that Jonsey pretty much made sure that those emo EVERYBODY HATES ME NOBODY LIKES ME I THINK I WILL EAT SOME WORMS dudes know how silly that they were...I didn't get a chance to hear it live, instead I heard it this morning, so maybe I missed something when it was rebroadcast.....
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:~I believe that tomorrow IS another day. And I will probably screw it up too~.....
yip, emo mommy
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe
gidgetgoestohell

he ha ha ha ha....I need to get that for the plates on the Cruiser....
Gidge

assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Whoa...wait. Was this the British Seapower he had on yesterday? Cause they've actually got some pretty good music and I've heard a lot of buzz about them (not to mention the airplay Jonesy gives 'em). But I guess they made for a pretty boring interview? That stinks. I think he's making up for it with today's guest, Tony Wilson, though. Tony even got into the whole Clear Channel issue. lol It was kind of cute, you can tell Shovel was a bit nervous talking about it. I think it's still a bit of a taboo issue, especially around Michael Steele, even though I'm sure Shovel's glad to be rid of them.

-Kevin
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Yeah, that moment was tense and you could tell 1. Shovel didn't want to get into it and 2. Tony was sorry he got into it.
I missed yesterday's show, but I love BSP!
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
MicheBel

BSP

Post by MicheBel »

Yeah. British Seapower. BLECH. Wasn't a "boring" interview necessarily. More like painful. One of those where the interviewer (in this case, Jonesy) was STRUGGLING to get two words out of them. Dreadful. I'll never listen to their music. What twits.

--Miche
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
gidgetgoestohell

This show today is excellent! The movie about the Hacienda made Wilson seem a little slimy, IMHO, but he gives and takes a great interview....
Gidge

assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Hm, don't quote me on this, but I heard Rick Rubin was a tough interview too. Like Jonesy had to pull teeth just to get some conversation going, which is a shame because I know Rick's got some amazing stories and worked with numerous legendary bands over the years. He does seem like the quiet type, though. But like I said, this was secondhand info.

Today's show was great, though. You know it's a good interview when Jonesy has to stop the guest from talking so they can get some music in. lol

-Kevin
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Wilson is such a Jonesy fan... and they got into the story of how Jonesy got his own show, very cool.
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
gidgetgoestohell

Miche:

Jonsey said GIRTH today.....
Gidge

Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Today's show was great.

I just disagree horribly about what was sad about telling Jonsey how he can't get his show sydicated in the U.K. I think if indie/jonsey/sovel are creative they could do it and make money doing it. Maybe not from the traditional routes though. Think Man U & New York Yankees approach.

I can't beleive I missed BSP. damn. Sounds like it wasn't so great from the posts but I love their music.

o remember me
o remember me
o remembe me...
Stuartmm

Rick Rubin

Post by Stuartmm »

Kevin,

When Rick was on it was the morning of the Johnny Ramone memorial so he may have not been in the happiest of moods.
Stuartmm

Syndicated

Post by Stuartmm »

Glenn,

Probably problems with record royalties etc.
The best thing would be for Annie Nightingale to go back to Radio One and tell them along with Zane Lowe that Jonesy has a radio show and that they should at least time shift it.
Remember on the internet it is already on at 8 pm and a few people who are on the Sex pistols boards already listen to it "live"
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:...those emo EVERYBODY HATES ME NOBODY LIKES ME I THINK I WILL EAT SOME WORMS .....
You mean the British.
Glenn

Re: Syndicated

Post by Glenn »

Stuartmm wrote:Glenn,

Probably problems with record royalties etc.
The best thing would be for Annie Nightingale to go back to Radio One and tell them along with Zane Lowe that Jonesy has a radio show and that they should at least time shift it.
Remember on the internet it is already on at 8 pm and a few people who are on the Sex pistols boards already listen to it "live"
I guess so.

I don't pretend to know any solutions (or even the challenges) but I can't help but think that cable broadcasters like "BBC America"& "Fox Sports World" (premiere league, soccer, rugby, cricket) world be looking for ways to promote/cross promote British t.v progamming throught the USA & attact new viewers etc.

More americans should know what is happening on East Enders.
MicheBel

Ratings in the sky

Post by MicheBel »

Glenn wrote:Today's show was great.

I just disagree horribly about what was sad about telling Jonsey how he can't get his show sydicated in the U.K. I think if indie/jonsey/sovel are creative they could do it and make money doing it. Maybe not from the traditional routes though. Think Man U & New York Yankees approach.

I can't beleive I missed BSP. damn. Sounds like it wasn't so great from the posts but I love their music.

o remember me
o remember me
o remembe me...
didn't you hear what they were saying about digital radio? In a short time, everything is going to change, and Indie will be on the forefront of that. Now if only we could get the ratings companies to catch up...

--Miche
Glenn

Re: Ratings in the sky

Post by Glenn »

MicheBel wrote:
Glenn wrote:Today's show was great.

o remember me
o remember me
o remembe me...
didn't you hear what they were saying about digital radio? In a short time, everything is going to change, and Indie will be on the forefront of that. Now if only we could get the ratings companies to catch up...

--Miche
I heard what they said and disagree. Why wait for the rating companies to catch up?

All advertisers care about is the ruturn on investment. Same as the web, no one cares how many hits/visits you get per day anymore. That's old hack. It's the quality & relavancy of the hit that really counts. All the advertisers care is how many dollars they will make back for every dollar they spend advertising.

That boils down to who are the indie listeners, how many are there vs what is being advertised to them.

If indie are the fore front then indie make the rules.
MicheBel

Radio ratings

Post by MicheBel »

Dude,

what I'm saying is that the old paradigm of Arbitron (which, true, needs to die as much as Clear Channel does, but still nonetheless is working for many people does not accurately measure how many listeners there are, and where they are coming from. As Tony Wilson so accurately pointed out today, digital radio changes everything. Actually, I would argue that everything has already changed, with the advent of radio streaming, but digital radio REALLY changes everything, and maybe they'll notice.

For example, I think if you measured listeners by how many Internet listeners you get, you would have Jonesy as number one during 12-2 every M-F. That SURE isn't the number Arbitron has, I assure you.

And as avant-garde as Indie is, they don't control the whole ratings mechanism.

But just as scanners changed everything in the way record sales were documented, I'm sure something will come along to measure the true listenership of Indie, and other Internet stations. The technology is whizzing past those who measure such things.

--Miche
Glenn

Re: Radio ratings

Post by Glenn »

MicheBel wrote:Dude,

But just as scanners changed everything in the way record sales were documented, I'm sure something will come along to measure the true listenership of Indie, and other Internet stations. The technology is whizzing past those who measure such things.

--Miche
I agree with the most of what you said (which is what that Tony Wilson said) but state again it is not always the share volume of listeners that really matters but the Return on the advertisers investment. That is the proof in the pudding not the rating.

That is why Nike gave 100's if millions of dollars to Hurley to break into the skater/alternative/extreme clothing sports market, somrthing that Nike could never do themselves.

I say this becasie I feel that the music that Indie plays is obviously for the most part very alternative for alternative people/music listeners but the advertising seems so main stream and unappealing. (at least to me) I just seems that they are missing a niche oe aomething.

Maybe that is just me.
Glenn

Re: Radio ratings

Post by Glenn »

MicheBel wrote:Dude,

paradigm of Arbitron

--Miche
What the hell is that?