If Hooks Could Kill

Talk about the Indie 103.1 shows.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

If Hooks Could Kill

Post by obiwankobe »

If hooks could kill
*Their tunes are catchy, but the Killers come up short as headliners.

By Robert Hilburn, Times Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO — Volumes have been written about how great music can set your heart and mind racing, but why are we all also suckers for songs that are just ridiculously catchy?

Is there a hidden gene that makes us fall in love with anything by ABBA? How can you help but smile at even the mention of "Dancing Queen"?

ADVERTISEMENT
It's easy to see where the Killers, the hot new American band that co-headlined the San Diego Street Scene concert Friday, got their catchiness: listening to two decades of British synth-pop and rock.

When lead singer Brandon Flowers led the group into such manic, hook-filled tunes as "Somebody Told Me," tens of thousands of fans sang along with such enthusiasm you'd think they were paid extras in a video.

The best of the Killers' tunes are tales about the desperation of young love that have sly images sometimes as catchy as the beat: "Well, somebody told me/ You had a boyfriend/ Who looked like a girlfriend/ That I had in February of last year."

Alas, Flowers sighs elsewhere in the song about the hopelessness of finding true love, "Heaven ain't close in a place like this."

But catchiness only takes a band so far and the young Las Vegas-based outfit, with only one album under its belt, seemed over its head co-headlining a two-day rock festival as prominent as this one.

For all their individual charm, the Killers' songs on the band's "Hot Fuss" album feel too much like separate pieces. There is little of the interlocking intelligence or wit of, say, Franz Ferdinand, the young Scottish band whose songs, including "Take Me Out," touch on similar influences and themes.

The Killers, however, weren't alone in having trouble trying to live up to expectations. The Street Scene's new location was also on trial.

A popular fixture in San Diego for more than 20 years, the musical extravaganza was located most of that time in the city's historic Gaslight district, giving it a quaint, local feel. The music, too, tended to be eclectic, mixing blues, roots rock, jazz and other styles.

Because it outgrew the downtown Gaslight area, the event moved a few blocks last year to parking lots near the new Petco Park, but that, too, proved inadequate, space-wise. So this year's home was the parking lot of Qualcomm Stadium, home of the Chargers.

The Scene's musical direction has also undergone adjustments. This year's lineup, which leaned heavily to such classy alt-rock forces as the White Stripes, the Flaming Lips, the Pixies and Death Cab for Cutie, seemed aimed at the excitement and buzz generated in recent years by the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival.

But Coachella is more than excellent talent. The setting, the Empire Polo Field in Indio, is so comforting that it's easy to let the music transform you from big-city stress.

If Coachella is the rock 'n' roll equivalent of a wine tasting, the Street Scene is a giant tailgate party.

At Coachella you not only stand on a comforting grass field, but you can see soothing palm trees in the distance. There's also a warm sense of community as fans share a certain aesthetic because the Coachella acts are chosen mostly for artistic merit, not just popularity.

On Friday, you stood on the hard, hot concrete of a football stadium parking lot, looking over the wall at a mammoth IKEA store, and the crowd seemed more intent on partying than listening to music.

Aside from the location, the Street Scene staff did a good job at making the event as civil as possible. There was plenty of food at reasonable prices, top-grade staging and sound, and even a carnival fun zone with rides and games of chance to give the event a county fair charm.

They could have booked a few more bands, however. There were only 15 acts Friday on three main stages over some 8 1/2 hours, which meant there were times when nothing was going on stage.

When there was action, Social Distortion, of the veteran acts, played with the commitment and fury that have made them a punk landmark in Southern California, while England's Kasabian showed more individuality and punch than such other newcomers as Hot Hot Heat and San Diego's own Louis XIV. Garbage, which once reflected the catchiness of the Killers, now has little to offer.

The Black Eyed Peas had to cut their set short because they were caught in a massive traffic jam between Los Angeles and San Diego. But there was nothing in their punchless hip-hop music to make you feel you missed something.

Unfortunately, the day's headliners, the White Stripes and the Killers, were put on opposite stages at the same time, forcing you to pretty much make a choice.

The Stripes are an infinitely more important band, but they'll be playing the Greek Theatre for four nights starting Aug. 15, so I devoted Friday to the Killers.

The building blocks in the group's sound start with the elegant, pulse-driving synth-pop exuberance of New Order, the Pet Shop Boys and the Buzzcocks' Pete Shelley. Add rich, U2-like guitar lines and vocals that move between the swagger of Oasis' Liam Gallagher and the endearing croon of Morrissey.

The danger in employing such obvious building blocks is you come across as somewhat generic. That problem was compounded by Flowers' performance. For all his fascination with such colorful performers as David Bowie and Morrissey, he didn't assert much presence. He was neither mysterious, eccentric nor warm, merely confident and pleasant.

After several numbers, I gave up on the Killers and walked across the parking lot to catch the end of the White Stripes set.

It was clear quickly that Jack White hasn't abandoned his guitar-slinger role on stage even though he downplayed guitar on the key songs on the Stripes' new "Get Behind Me Satan" album.

Mixing old and new material, the Stripes played with the passion and spontaneity that have made them the most exciting band in American rock in years.

For a moment, you forgot about the concrete and industrial surroundings, and were transported à la Coachella. That's what great music can do when it goes beyond catchy.

The Street Scene, meanwhile, is a good idea in need of a home.

Robert Hilburn, pop music critic of The Times, can be reached at Robert.hilburn@latimes.com
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

I haven't read the article, but I couldn't agree more with the headline. The Killers are plastic, polished, sugary... and "catchy"... "catchy" is a death sentence....
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

ha ha

Tom is the king of cut of pasteing long ass articles. I dont read them. You should bold the important words.
:P
"My band name is now your coupon" - Joe
MicheBel

Killers

Post by MicheBel »

there are important words in that thing? who knew? :wink:

--Miche
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

haha I'll agree with both Annie and Glenn here.

A. Yeah, I'm already pretty done with the Killers. Their appeal is based on their catchiness which wears off eventually especially since radio plays them to death. Not only that, but apparently Brandon Flowers was talking shit about other bands trying to ride on the Killers' success, like the Bravery. Uh...that may be the case, but it's not like the Killers are exactly fucking pioneers of this music genre. They're riding off the coattails of a dozen other bands like The Strokes and Franz Ferdinand, who in kind, are really riding off the coattails of numerous bands before them. Just seems kind of arrogant and ignorant to make that kind of statement.

B. lol Yes, Tom does enjoy posting long articles and I sometimes skim by them. But, I must say that I enjoyed this one and read the whole thing. I was going to do a news search on Street Scene to read a review and this saved me the trouble. So thanks, Tom.

-Kevin
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

I heard an early interview with the Killers, where Brandon Flowers said he went out to see a Strokes show and was like "Hey, I could do that!" so he put out a newspaper add looking for musicians and they modeled themselves after the bands that were rising in popularity at the time... POSERS!
-Julian Casablancas
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

I don't read Robert Hilburn PERIOD. The man doesn't know his own ass from a hot rock. BLAH. He hated punk, he blasted New Wave, the man is a pompous over blown ASS.....
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

Tom is a very fast reader
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Tom talks about Tom in 3rd person... CREE-PY!
-Julian Casablancas
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

Tom types in the third person, or for all you know maybe this isn't even Tom. Maybe Tom doesn't even exist? creepy...
-tom

*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Yeah, maybe Tom and Annie are the same person talking to him/herself all along!!!!!!
-Julian Casablancas
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

now that would be strange, kind of like Cybill
-tom

*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

...that's what I was thinking... oh wait- that's 'cause I AM you, and you ARE me!
-Julian Casablancas
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

*Annie* wrote:...that's what I was thinking... oh wait- that's 'cause I AM you, and you ARE me!
I've been hitting on Tom all this time?! :evil: I need a shower. No offense, Tom! :wink:
obiwankobe wrote:now that would be strange, kind of like Cybill

-Kevin

*sireofwilshire*
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

All you ever do is hit on Tom!
-Julian Casablancas
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

*Annie* wrote:All you ever do is hit on Tom!
Part of me already knew that. You know which part!

-Kevin

*sireofwilshire*