A Week of Dreaming:

Talk about the Indie 103.1 shows.

Moderator: Admin

MicheBel

A Week of Dreaming:

Post by MicheBel »

A Week of Dreaming:
The Morning Show Alternate Hosts

First, let me put out this disclaimer: I am absolutely aware that Dicky and his Morning Show crew were on vacation this week, that these substitute hosts were there temporarily, and everything will return to normal on Monday. But, in the interim, I let myself dream about what it would be like if any of these people actually did the Morning Show on a regular basis. This column is about that.

MONDAY: Passport Approved

Sat Bisla and Mike Savage have an internationally flavored show on the weekends that I almost never listen to. But hearing them Monday morning, they reminded me of a lot of music that I don't hear often enough on Indie, the kind that Nic Harcourt over on KCRW often plays. OK, maybe the DJs' patter needs work, but it was great music to wake up to. And they graced us with European and world news. A wonderful Monday.

TUESDAY: Nina Blackwood

Ah. A woman in the morning! How wonderful. A woman who knows the world of music, and is able to fill in with abundant details. Her music was the most Indie, though she also had a boatload of women artists that aren't heard enough on Indie: Marianne Faithfull, Nico! Wondrous. Not to mention Pere Ubu and Dylan. Great stuff.

WEDNESDAY: Henry Rollins, Heidi, Engineer X

There is a deep gaping void at Indie where Henry Rollins' show used to be. Not that Rob Zombie isn't great (he is!). But the heart and soul of Rollins is not something easily replaced. Though personally, I think Rollins would be most suited for satellite, where he can cuss like a sailor, I loved again hearing him on Indie. I mean, he opened and closed with a prayer chant. How cool is that?

He dedicated a song to Israel and Palestine. (I adore this man's politics!) He played William Shatner and Miriam Makeba. He claimed Iggy Pop as the "true king of rock and roll" (so true). Some of the music was still pretty harsh for the am, but at least he acknowledged that.

THURSDAY: Watusi Rodeo with Doc

It's like the week just kept getting better and better. Doc, Mr. Prepared, actually had interviews and in-studio musicians playing live. Bloody cool. Peter Case and The Plimsouls, for god's sake. I mean, that's practically a better guest than anyone Dicky's ever had in. Yes, it sure would be interesting to hear Watusi Rodeo every morning. But certainly not boring.

FRIDAY: Joe and Jackie in the Morning

Joe Sib (Complete Control) and Jackie (Chaos), doing a morning show. This one I loved the most. They weren't playing their usual punk and metal stuff. They actually played some pretty great morning music. And had back the original news guy, Bill. The stories they told were interesting, and they had good interplay with each other. I really enjoyed them.

And here's what every one of these alternate hosts had (for me) that Dicky doesn't have. The core of Indie is this: a friend saying, hey dig this music! I like it, you will too. And maybe along the way, they teach you a bit about that music. And if you're lucky, about life.

That is what I lack from Dicky. His attitude has always been, to me, here's some Boston punk, and screw you if you don't like it. Or if you have the balls to like anything else.

Every one of the hosts this past week were about: hey, here's some groovy music. I hope you dig it too. And as such, I'm almost sad to see the embattlement that is Dicky's Morning Show return.
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

Bummer for you. Maybe you might want to give that dial on your radio a spin during the hours of 7-10 am.
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
MicheBel

Damashack

Post by MicheBel »

And miss Damashack? Not a chance! :)
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
a KROQ spy!

Post by a KROQ spy! »

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Nope unfortunately...
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
MicheBel

peace

Post by MicheBel »

I think about the time Bush pulls the troops out of Iraq.

:)

Or, what's that Brad and Jen claimed? "Irreconcilable differences"? It's like that.

Course, I never slept with Kristee...

Next to, sorta, but not with...

--Miche
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

That sounds about right...
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
gidgetgoestohell

We ALL have moments that we are ashamed of......
Gidge

MicheBel

eh

Post by MicheBel »

Now, see, for me, that was a FOND memory.

And so it goes...

--Miche :)
gidgetgoestohell

Huh....yeah if you say so.....
Gidge

Gooch

Post by Gooch »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:We ALL have moments that we are ashamed of......
Fine...then its settled. I will get the two of you a hotel room and you guys can have make up sex and hopefully that way we can all be at peace here once again.

Now the Meansweeper......I don't want any negative comments from either of you regarding this post or any other one. Not even an indication of a possible snide remark....OKAY?!?!?!?!

I WILL WEAR ORANGE FOR THIS....DO YOU TWO HEAR ME?!?!?!?
~Gooch