My Visit To Dicky's Mighty Morning Show

Talk about the DJ's here.

Moderator: Admin

noyou

My Visit To Dicky's Mighty Morning Show

Post by noyou »

I'm taking an advanced radio production class at Pasadena City College, and for the final, each of us is required to "cold call" a commercial radio station, arrange for spending a complete shift with an on-air personality, to be a fly on the wall, have a picture taken with us together with the station banner visible behind us, and do a write up of what the on-air personality did and didn't do, what equipment was used, Etc...

So, seeing as how Indie is my favorite commercial station (KCRW is my favorite overall station - Indie probably would be, if not for their ruining great songs by constantly overplaying them like every other station), it was awesome to get to do my project at Indie, and what a great guy Dicky was for helping me out! I sent a bulk email to all the email addresses I could find on Indie's website, and Dicky was (not suprisingly) the ONLY one to not only respond, but tell me he'd help me.

He told me to be there on April 4, at 6am. I was there on time, but nobody answered the phone when I called from the guard station downstairs. After bugging the guard over and over again, he finally let me up to the floor Indie is on, and told me to keep pounding on the doors for Entravision, until someone hears and lets me in. I did that, for like 15 minutes, to no avail. Then a guy came off the elevator, and went the other way from the main entrance, so I ran after him and asked if he worked for Entravision. He said yes, I told him my sitch, and he went in to Indie's area, and Chuck, Dicky's sidekick and main guy, came and got me.

It was way cool to see what goes on. And way cool to meet Dicky, Chuck, Liz, and the main guest, Don Letts, who was in the band Big Audio Dynamite, and was there promoting his new documentary, Punk Attitude, which will be shown on IFC Channel in July, I think it was. There was another woman there as well, but I can't remember her name (sorry if you read this), as well as the woman from the IFC Channel.

Dicky razzed me a bit, both on and off air. I'm pretty shy, and not that quick to think of good responses when I'm not expecting to be contributing to their conversation, which made me a prime target. He was cool though. "You have to earn your keep", he told me.

It was a cool thing though. Dicky is a real giver. Way cool guy.

- Tom [ http://www.noyou.net ]
Imus_Killum

Post by Imus_Killum »

Dude, you are so frickin' lucky! I wish I got to hang out with Dicky. I am way jealous! Nice job and I hope you got a good grade on your final.

Kris
"I wasn't born rich I'm good looking instead" - BossToneS
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Cool story, we heard you... you were being shy... and then we had a discussion on how you have never posted here... but now you have.... oh, and Indie IS NOT like every other station!
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
noyou

Dicky's Show, Posting, Kraftwerk, Jonesy and Def Leppard

Post by noyou »

Did anyone happen to capture any of the stream, or tape it? If I'd known he was gonna talk to me, or about me on air, I'd have taped it myself.

What thread is the discussion on? I'd love to read it, even if it's embarassing :)

I did post here once I think, right when I first signed up. But I haven't been back since. Been way busy. Roommate fiasco, school, work, lots of stuff. I'll prolly be back regularly though.

I won tickets for the Kraftwerk concert from Indie as well, via the website. So, if you're wondering, they actually do give away the stuff they have the contests for, at least some of it :)

If you haven't seen them before, and you like them, go see them. I saw them a few years back (way after their heyday as well), and they were great!

If anyone remembers, a while back I asked (on the Yahoo group I think) if anyone had a copy of when Jonesy had Def Leppard on, doing some cover tunes. I REALLY want a copy of that. I'm not ashamed to admit I love a lot of Def Leppard's stuff (not all, but a lot). Two people replyed, but nothing from either panned out for me.

See ya's!
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

Tom (the OTHER white meat):

I left a note for Larry, our resident taper of show guy...if anybody has it, it's probably him.

I looked for our discussion regarding your appearance and for the life of me, couldn't find it.

We had some confusion over which Tom was on the show. We all pretty much thought that it was Soul Coughing Tom, hence the salutation....It sounds like you had a great time!

Isn't it great that Dicky actually responds to email? He's the best.....
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
gidgetgoestohell

Ok...I found it...It's in the ON INDIE RIGHT NOW section, under Our Little Tommy on Dicky's Show.....Enjoy!!!
Gidge

Stuartmm

Shows

Post by Stuartmm »

I have that show recorded from about 8.10 am till 10.30 am so if it was during that then i can get you a copy. ( I heard Don Letts on the show and had to race to the office to set up a recording :-) )

I hope it wasnt me you asked for the Def Leppard recording, i have sent out so many copies of that that i may have forgotten but i have that one as well.
noyou

Re: Shows

Post by noyou »

Stuartmm wrote:I have that show recorded from about 8.10 am till 10.30 am so if it was during that then i can get you a copy. ( I heard Don Letts on the show and had to race to the office to set up a recording :-) )

I hope it wasnt me you asked for the Def Leppard recording, i have sent out so many copies of that that i may have forgotten but i have that one as well.
If you can email me at noyou22@yahoo.com, with info on how I can download, or obtain copies of said shows, I'd greatly appreciate it :)
noyou

Post by noyou »

*Annie* wrote:oh, and Indie IS NOT like every other station!
I think most would agree that Indie IS like most other stations, in the fact that they play songs to death.

What makes them different, and better, is that they play songs other stations don't play (at least not until they sabatage them after hearing them on Indie). But that doesn't change the fact that they still ruin great music by repeating it to death.

I understand the mindset that an average listener only listens a certain small amount each day at certain times (different for each person, obviously). And they may not hear certain songs when they are listening. So for them, they beat songs to death. My mindset is this, why beat any song to death when there's so much friggin great music out there!!!

I actually haven't been listening to Indie for music lately. I only listen when Jonesy or Dicky is on usually, and only when I'm in my car, since that's usually the only time I listen to the radio nowadays. And even then, I turn off when they play the same old crap they keep repeating. I'd rather listen to public radio than to stuff I keep hearing over and over and over again. I hardly listen to the radio, and I still hear the same shit over and over on Indie. Obviously, it really pisses me off that they think they need to do that to keep listeners listening, to sell the advertising. I think the best station would be a cross between Indie, and the new Jack (I know I'm gonna catch shit for this).

I love that Jack RARELY plays the same song within weeks. What I dislike, is they only play old stuff, and no new stuff.

Okay, repeat certain "in-demand" songs more than others, but don't beat them to death!

[...takes a deep breath...]

Okay, I'm done :)
Stuartmm

Post by Stuartmm »

Check your email for links.
gidgetgoestohell

I was thinking this morning that it would be cool if they had a show on Indie that only played old school punk. Nothing else mixed in. I know that Joe Sib plays old stuff but mixed with new punk.

I also thought that it would pretty rockin' to have that show me kind of like KEARTH for those of us out there that grew up during that era as well as the kids coming up so that they could appreciate what came before.

I don't listen to the radio at all during the evening because when I get home I have other stuff to do (Kid, dog, cats, neighbors, laundry, work from the office, being the soccer mom on acid/taxi driver, yakking with gf's that are being devestated by men, yaking with guy friends that are being devestated by women, GOTTA BE PC, you know THAT kind of crap) so I am not sure what I am missing during the evening.

I know I was pretty bummed out the night that they broadcast Billy Idol live. I forgot all about it but praise Jesus that I am the SMOA/taxi driver (the afore mentioned soccer mom on acid) and I had to go and pick up a shit load of kids and pack 'em into the Cruiser. I actually got to hear the last part and I was pretty thankful for that.
Gidge

assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Jeezus, Gidge. It sounds like you'd almost rather be at work with that evening line up you've got. lol
Well, there's an archive of Jonesy shows from mid-March to mid-April and the guy who runs the site also had the insight to record the Billy Idol performance. So if you mosey on over to

jonesy.headtriparchive.com

and scroll down to "Billy Idol Live with swearing 128k, 100 MB" you will find the entire Billy Idol concert. It's about 1 hr:15 minutes long and features Mr. Jones on axe for two songs. Good times. :)

-Kevin
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
gidgetgoestohell

AND...I haven't had a vacation in THREE YEARS....and the kid wonders why I am grouchy when he wakes me up and says..ever so fucking sweetly...MOM....can I have fill in the blank ...geeeeez....

Kev...you are the best! I was in my parking stall rocking out like, well, like, a soccer mom on acid, during part of that show. I think that I came in when Jonsey had just taken the stage. My son was like, uhhh Mom? You do KNOW that we have a stereo in the house, right? LOL
Gidge

assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Ah yes, 'tis a good show. I can't believe he played Eyes Without a Face. Definitely one of my favorites. And I had no idea after all these years that Billy sang Hot in the City. Great song.

I'm in love with Cathy McGow-wow-wow-an.

-Kevin
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
gidgetgoestohell

Ready Steady Go, that's where I came in! My favorite is Kenny Silvers. Of couorse, that's a Generation X song...but what the hell.....it counts....

Kenny Silver...the boy that disappeared...Kenny Silver....Kenny Silver....
Gidge