Concerts and Events.

Moderator: Admin

MicheBel

Elvis Costello at the Wiltern

Post by MicheBel »

Elvis Costello
Wiltern Theatre, LA
March 26, 2005

Good God. What is there to say about Elvis Costello? Besides that he's a genius. He's amazing. He rocks the house. Every song is awesome. And more nice things like that?

He is the third in a series of concerts I've seen recently that have had pretty sucky opening acts, then themselves rock out. This one was some guy from Norway who apparently has a couple albums. Maybe only in Norway. Not sure.

Ah, but Elvis. Elvis and Steve Nieve, another genius. One of the best drummers I've ever seen. Great band. Good gosh almighty. What a way to bring in Easter. Elvis, whom I've seen several times, looked really happy this time. He was smartly dressed with a green ascot and jacket. He must've changed guitars about twenty times though. And the show lasted forever (over two hours).

(I'm gonna have to check back with Larry for the set list, but here's what I remember most vividly.)

"Radio, Radio" was the first really rockin song (though there were three songs before it). I've been loving how much Indie has been playing this recently, so it really resonated. The lights were all red, that infrared color that glares through radio dials. Loved it.

"Watching the Detectives" had that greenish-CSI light to it. Very cool.

He did a bunch of songs, new and old. Country and classic. He, thankfully, did not do "Veronica" or "Every Day I Write the Book," two Elvis songs I'm really sick of. He did "Monkey to Man," which I can do without.

He did a song he wrote for Johnny Cash. Did one song for "Abel" and one song for Cain ("Blame it on...").

"Clubland," another Indie fav of late, was another standout. Purple lights flashing on that one.

Talked about some of his former drinking days, which led into "Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down."

For me, the ones which resonated the most were the old-school ones. Alison. Accidents Will Happen. Next Time Round. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea.

He did a smokin version of "Heart of the City" which led into a stellar version of "(What's So Funny About) Peace, Love and Understanding?" (I just keep seeing his pink sparkly guitar...)

He has this amazing technique of really using the microphone. Singing loudly and proudly into it most of the time, on certain songs, when emphasis was needed, he'd back away from it. You could still hear him singing, but it was like he was singing from far away. It really pulled at some heartstrings on those songs he chose to use it on.

"Pump It Up" rocked, and came after a bout of slower tunes, so it did get the crowd quite pumped.

But I think my favorite was the aching, heartbreaking rendition of "I Want You." The stage was swathed in deep blue light, almost like darkness. The desire he emanated was palpable. Throughout the auditorium, filled with smokers who no longer carry Bic lighters to indicate an encore, you could see the modern equivalent popping up all around the stage: the camera phone (supposedly prohibited). In this song especially, the blue glare of the camera phone screens only made the loneliness and alienation he was singing about more palpable.

But as he exited the stage, he talked about going to visit his wife in Japan, so whoever he's desiring isn't gonna be waiting long. For the rest of us, who ache for someone... we're not so lucky. At least for this night, we had Elvis. And it was good.
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
MicheBel

Elvis' Set List from the LA show, March 26, 2005

Post by MicheBel »

1. Next Time Round
2. Uncomplicated
3. Possession
4. Radio Radio
5. Button My Lip
6. Country Darkness
7. Bedlam
8. Needle Time
9. Hidden Shame (the "Abel" song)
10. Blame It on Cain
11. Either Side of the Same Town
12. ( I Don't Want to Go to ) Chelsea
13. Clubland
14. Heart-Shaped Bruise (w/John McFee on Pedal SteelMe)
15. Tonight the Bottle Let Me Down
16. Sweet Dreams
17. Stranger in the House
18. Waiting for the End of the World (McFee leaves)
19. Kinder Murder
20. In the Darkest Place
21. When I Was Cruel No.2
22. Watching the Detectives
23. Delivery Man
24. Monkey to Man
25. Accidents Will Happen
26. There's a Story in Your Voice
27. Mystery Dance w/John McFee on Guitar
28. Why Don't You Love Me ( Like You Used To Do)
29. Alison (McFee Leaves)
30. Pump it Up
31. Mystery Train
32. Hurry Down Doomsday
33. Heart of the City
34. ( What's So Funny 'Bout ) Peace , Love and Understanding?
(w/ a Kids are Alright bit)
35. I Want You (BRILLIANT)
36. Scarlet Tide (from "Cold Mountain")

( Submitted by Drew Matich)
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Wow, that must have been so amazing..... thanx for sharing Miche :lol:
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
MicheBel

Elvis

Post by MicheBel »

You're welcome. Yeah, it was pretty amazing, indeed. :D

--Miche