Check One Two Puts Indie on the Map (A REVIEW)

Concerts and Events.

Moderator: Admin

MicheBel

Check One Two Puts Indie on the Map (A REVIEW)

Post by MicheBel »

First, thanks to Motorola, for putting out this amazing CD of Check One Two bands! We eagerly await Vol. 2.

Now, it turns out that there were two must-see EVENTS of the concert variety this week. This was the other one.

EVERYBODY ELSE
THE SPORES
GRAM RABBIT
IMA ROBOT
House of Blues, Sunset, Hollywood, CA
(a Check One Two/Indie 103 production)
This was the evening, for me, that Indie 103 went from being a tiny radio station that we know and love to the big time. I have never seen the House of Blues more packed than at this concert. You couldn't squeeze one more person in. And with good reason....

Now, here's the love-hate thing of Indie. I missed the first band (except for their last song) because I couldn't bear to tear myself away from the awesome music that Henry Rollins was playing on Indie 103 at the time. You just give us too much good music, Indie! Damn you! And Henry and Engineer X were rockin~! But I digress...the concert...

BTW, I love Everybody Else, and I'm really bummed that I missed them. I'm sure they were wonderful. They have many great songs.

The Spores have a few songs I like. They are notorious in their stage show for the puppets they use, which were kinda cool. They were ok.

Now, mind you, these bands were chosen by the wondrous Mr. Shovel, he of Check One Two fame. And he slogs through many bands on Monday night's Viper Room/Check One Two gig. So he knows who performs well in concert, and who doesn't. On this night, he had good reason to be proud. These bands were all infused with great stage presence, and good rockin music. The shows just kept getting better and better and better.

It was pretty full capacity in the HOB by the time they started selling the ears. Bunny ears. All these years I worked at Playboy and never got my own bunny ears, yet, for Gram Rabbit, they were de rigueur attire. Even the tough macho guys were sporting bunny ears. Pink, fluffy, satin in the middle. Wild.

So, as Gram Rabbit starts playing, they are gazing out onto a sea of pink bunny ears. The guys in this band are hot. But the female singer is hotness personified. She's wearing a skintight pink leotard. About the third song, she removes the top she's wearing, and you see it's cut like a Bunny suit. And of course, she has the ears of all ears. Brown and furry. All she's missing is the cottontail in back. She's extremely hot.

Joining her on either side of the stage are two female bunnies. In covered up suits, looking like the rabbit in Harvey or something. Well, except for the painted on breasts, with nipples. And the big X where their most private parts are. They dance through several songs, though I think they died during "Bloody Bunnies", they are revived for another song later.

Gram Rabbit, from Joshua Tree, are awesome to watch. One might be fooled into thinking, wow! How could it possibly get better than this?

I'd heard Mr. Shovel commenting during the on-air preshow on how the lead singer of IMA Robot was like Iggy Pop (very strong words, indeed). Once he started, I could see that the comparison is oh, so justified. IMA Robot's performance was one of the best band performances I've seen in many days.

And the crowd was just so into them. They were into all the bands, but especially the last two. Singing, loudly, the words to the songs played on Indie. Dancing, especially, to those.

And the IMA Robot concert was a regular love fest. The singer, Alex Ebert, going into the crowd several times, for some of that love. People being passed around (when was the last time you saw THIS at a concert?) and up on stage a couple of times, before the bouncers stepped in to quash that action.

Ebert, was the male equivalent of what the luscious pink bunny in Gram Rabbit had been earlier. Hotness made flesh. Wearing white harem pants, fondling himself throughout the concert, threatening to pull it out (dancing on that precipice of Iggy), it was luscious. Near the end, he pulled his shirt off, to reveal an awesome upper body, and just a hint of pubes below. Gulp. Great great stuff.

I just about orgasmed when Creeps Me Out was played during the encore. The crowd went WILD. Lights were flashing, strobing through the crowd. It was truly a lovefest. They followed that (arguably their biggest hit, and an Indie EXCLUSIVE) with the old hit, Black Jettas.

The only thing missing was my favorite IMA Robot song (well, besides Creeps Me Out)--Winter Fling. Small potatoes for what jewels we were given at this show.

I got the distinct impression that Indie has just broken another major band (their last was She Wants Revenge). And you can thank Mr. Shovel for both. It was an unbelievable evening. Bunny ears and all.
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
LALALA

Post by LALALA »

SNORE. Now, back to your regular programming.
Nancy was a groupie, never trust a junkie! Not even one in recovery!