Post by MicheBel »

PETRA HADEN & the SELLOUTS
PETRA HADEN & MIKE WATT
DOS (Kira & Mike Watt)
OCTOPUS EYES

The Rec Center at the Jensen Building
Silverlake/Echo Park
Saturday, April 1, 2006
For all of my concertgoing career, I've divided concerts into two kinds. The kind where I dig the band and want to go, and the kind where you HAVE to go, because it's an event. A must-see, do not miss, be there at any costs, EVENT.

This concert was the latter kind. I heard Petra Haden on Nic Harcourt's Morning Becomes Eclectic this week. Then, out with my friend Larry at The English Beat, he (the most connected concert guy I know) told me about this one. And that Mike Watt was going to be there, playing. That sold me. I had to go.

Now here's the thing with Petra Haden, in case you don't know. She recorded the entire Who Sells Out album A CAPELLA. On a dare. From Mike Watt. She has an amazing voice. But we'll get to her.

There is already a line outside this unassuming rec center near the Echo. Slowly they begin letting people in. The space is reconverted artsy, looks to be still being built. At the ticket table, you can see there is a roaring fire inside, with a banquette around it for people to sit on and chat. Nice.

Inside, the space resembles an art gallery, with upper levels, and closed off rooms where you can view the band through glass. At two ends, there are alcoholic spirits being sold. And a unisex bathroom.

The stage setup, as we enter includes a large owl-like creature filled with sparkly Christmas lights, and a similar one shaped like a kitten. Soon enough, the first band, Octopus Eyes, from Austin, Texas, enters. They become the second band I've seen within a year that plays the theramin. And the woman who played it had a 60s-style flip hairdo (think Marlo Thomas in "That Girl"), so it was quite the sight to behold. Plus, the guitarists' style was to bend over and bob up and down as they played hard-core rock. It was quite the visual sight, though I did see a couple of people leave due to the noise level. I quite enjoyed the band. They rocked.

After them, we had the band DOS. Dos, as in Two, as in Mike Watt and Kira. It's a unique sound. But I saw them at ArthurFest, and liked them better there. Watt said he was suffering from flu this night.

Then, Petra Haden sang with Mike Watt. That part was amazing. She sang all these incredible songs. One that really stood out for me was "I Love You (Porgy)", the Gershwin tune from Porgy and Bess, notably difficult to sing, yet Haden was amazing. This part of the show was a standout.

Did I mention she also plays a kickass violin? Incredible.

Finally, Petra Haden and the Sellouts. Petra and six other women (her "choir") to sing the Who standards. Now the conceit of the album is that on the original, there were British adverts in between songs. They sung those too! And they sung them in this show.

For me, the song which just made my hair stand on end was to hear them sing "I Can See For Miles". Amazing.

They also did an incredible version of "God Only Knows" that is downloadable on her website. Petra Haden is, without a doubt, one of the major artists of our time. Seek out her music. You'll be so glad you did.

http://www.petrahadenmusic.com

Here's the quote that comes with the CD: "...like hearing it for the first time...I felt like I'd received something better than a Grammy."--Pete Townshend of The Who
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
LALALA

Post by LALALA »

SNORE Redux Part II.
Nancy was a groupie, never trust a junkie! Not even one in recovery!