Hal Sparks' band Zero One concert review

Concerts and Events.

Moderator: Admin

MicheBel

Hal Sparks' band Zero One concert review

Post by MicheBel »

I swear, I'm gonna get to writing this. I'm just so busy at work right now! DAMN! :wink:

--Miche
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

Heard everyone had a Gay'ol time!
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
MicheBel

Review from my website

Post by MicheBel »

Hal Sparks' band Zero One at the Viper Room [ Concerts ]

MOOD: Euphoric

ZERO 1 (and a buncha other bands)
Viper Room
Tuesday, June 21
Yup, I've loved me some Hal Sparks longtime, baby. Taped every episode of Talk Soup (his only). That's some serious crushdom. Love his comedy, watch him on "Queer as Folk." He's always one of my favorites.

So, of course, when I hear him chatting with the fellows on the Mighty Morning Show (Indie 103) that he's going to be playing that night at the Viper Room, I'm so there.

And the weird thing is that all this time in LA, I've never once even been to the Viper Room. Maybe cause River died there, maybe because I don't hang out in trendy LA bars anymore. Dunno. My friend even runs a regular concert thing there on Monday nights. Just never went.

Besides which, I'm old. A show starting at 11:30 pm is WAY past my bedtime.

But again, IT'S HAL SPARKS we're talking.

Understand, in addition to this man bringing the funny on a regular basis, he's one of the few people I know who really--AND I MEAN REALLY--puts his politics on the line. Even when everyone (seemingly, anyway) is against him. He gets on Dicky's show and talks about how the election was stolen, and I could just kiss him for that. We are politically completely on the same wavelength.

Had no idea what his band was about beforehand, just knew that he was all into the punk spectacle thing to do it. (Spiky hair, chain-link guitar straps, you know...)

Here's the thing. The artists I admire most are those who kinda shake you up a bit, and say: You REALLY need to see/hear/listen/watch/read this. In your face, not letting you be complacent. There is so much in this world to NOT be complacent about. Not just politics, but at one point, Hal dedicated a song to "that person that you want to talk to tonight, but probably won't". How we all live in our fear-encased worlds. Especially in Hollywood, where people don't talk to each other unless they've got a business reason to.

The songs were very political, mostly covers, but great, well-chosen covers. Neil Young. A song about the homeless, about war. Great, great stuff, performed well by really talented musicians.

If there was one thing I wanted to communicate to Hal Sparks (who is also a spiritual guy) while there, I wanted to just let him know there was a like-minded spirit in the room. Someone who's so totally on the same page as he is. And I'm a really good audience member, whether for music or comedy. I'm present. I bring my essence. I'm with you there on stage, believe me. I laugh at the funny, I groove at the music.

So there was this moment, early on, where he goes into Wicked Game (Chris Isaac's), which has an ironic reference in my own life. And he's looking at me. He had looked at me earlier and nodded, like he recognized me. (Not sure about that one, but ok, I'm a pretty visible presence on all of Hal's pages, complete with picture.) During Wicked Game, he gives me the stare-down from the tiny Viper Room stage. For minutes, our eyes are locked. (I don't back down from that either. My mom was the absolute best at keeping her eyes locked with someone. Most people in Hollywood flinch at such stuff, can't hang. I didn't blink.) It was actually pretty cool, though there seemed to be some anger in his eyes. (Well, it is called WICKED game, after all, maybe it's just his punk pose? Maybe he was just seeking out a stranger in the room who had good energy? Not sure.)

Afterwards, I went up to him, handed him a rose (we had some extra ones at work, I thought it'd be a nice gesture, plus I always give flowers to my friends who perform; nothing romantic) and told him that I thought he was one of the coolest people on the planet. (And I do, it's no hyperbole.) Again, he seemed angry with me.

Dunno. Might've broken another of the LA social rules that I seem to have such a hard time with. I mean, I thought he'd be nice and friendly and stuff. He always makes like he is. Maybe all of that's an act too? It was very strange.

All in all, I'm glad I made the effort to see his band. I certainly plan to if they play again, I just won't talk to him next time.

Strange town this is, sometimes...
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
MicheBel

Meeting Hal's band

Post by MicheBel »

And especially for the Indie Street Team folk, let me add that Hal is extremely hot in person. Those muscles! wow... (And I work for a place that has all kinds of whacked out muscles everywhere. Hal has just the right amount of muscles.)

They rocked hard. (I mean, the BAND, not his muscles, though they did too.)

And it was funny, I was hanging for awhile when I got there, right next to what turned out to be his bass player. I kept thinking he was that actor Simon Rex, cause he's hot in the same way (and also well-muscled). All kinds of chicks were hanging on him.

Lots of women wearing their breasts at that show. Hal kept asking for the women to flash him.

Then he said, "Even you, grandma" which I thought was especially mean too. It was just some (dunno, maybe 50s) bleached-blonde woman down in front. "Grandma?" All my ideas of Hal Sparks being a really nice, spiritually connected guy really flew out the window that night.

He seemed angry, bitter, hostile, and mostly putting on an act. Who is the REAL Hal Sparks, one wonders? :roll:
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Sorry to hear that Miche. I know you're a big Hal Sparks fan on many levels, so that must've been pretty disappointing. When you say he was "angry" was it something he said or did or just how you perceived him? Like when you gave him the rose, did he at least say "thank you" or something? One of my co-workers has a pic of herself and him and I asked her about it. She said he's the nicest guy ever, and not just for a celebrity but for just an everyday person. Makes me wonder if he was just trying to pass off a rock star image. Hm.

-Kevin
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
MicheBel

Hal and the rose saga

Post by MicheBel »

Well, other people have remarked about how nice he was that evening too...so I'm starting to think now that it might just be the timing. It was right after the concert, and maybe he was trying to rush around getting all his equipment packed. Not sure.

Or maybe it was that I kept hitting him with the rose to get his attention? :wink: Not sure.

I guess, all in all, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

--Miche
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

He's an angry gay man!
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
MicheBel

slap maxwell

Post by MicheBel »

I'm gonna slap you, Obi.

--Miche