MicheBel

SHAG WITH A TWIST--theatre review

Post by MicheBel »

SHAG WITH A TWIST
LA Theatre Center
514 South Spring Street
Los Angeles CA 90013
888.515.SHAG or http://www.shagwithatwist.com
When last I left my profession of theatre criticism, the theatre was in a bit of disarray. The crisis came because the bluehairs who made a practice of attending theatre every weekend were dying out. The youth just didn't seem interested in it. What's a good theatre manager to do?

Dance, too, had been struck by this malady. Venerable American companies like the Joffrey Ballet and American Ballet Theatre were struggling for audiences. What's a ballet corps master to do?

In LA at least, it would seem that SHAG knows. What we have here is the perfect LA theatre event. It's kicky, it's fun, it gives you a chance to put on those 60s clothes that are burning up your closet.

Propelled by the cultural icon that Shag (aka JoSH AGle) is becoming, you are greeted upon entry by the huge sets, imprinted with a 60s pop aesthetic that has become Shag's signature artwork. Part Jetsons, part pop, it's unique and it's completely LA. Shag himself is actually doing artwork on the new Pink Panther movie. (Also very LA.)

As you fall into the show, it's like happening upon a trendy LA party. Everyone's trying to have sex with everyone else and all are dressed to the nines. Every one of the characters who pops on stage will be recognizable to you. You've probably seen him or her at a party. (Well, except maybe the monkey...although it is LA, so who knows?...)

For my tastes, Shag With a Twist fell short as a theatre piece. Not enough real meat to the "story" for me. So if you go in expecting good theatre, you may be disappointed. So try this: go in expecting some of the most amazing dance you've seen in years. Then you won't be disappointed.

I'm harkened back to the years I spent in Chicago, watching the Joffrey trudge through year after year, doing yet another Swan Lake or Romeo and Juliet. Yawn. Great dance, but so? Then, suddenly, someone came up with the brilliant idea of having the Joffrey Dancers--ballet corps dancers--dance to the music of Prince.

They did this show twice. I saw both versions. Both versions were completely sold out. It was no longer that stuffy "dance" stuff, it was something you could groove to. Though it was really odd to see the bluehaired subscription holders next to the kids in tattered jeans, bopping to the music.

That is what blew me away about "Shag With a Twist." These are ballet corps dancers, donning huge wigs and hipster clothes, and presenting this amazing dance spectacle. Should have known by the name, I suppose ("Shag", a dance; with a "Twist"--also a dance).

So let me throw out some names. Well, first, the incredible Cynthia Bradley--director, creator, choreographer, lyricist, visionary extraordinaire. Incredible work. Single-handedly could turn around the LA theatre scene with this piece.

Joel Berlin, who created some truly incredible LA hipster costumes. I think my favorite is the set piece that is the Shimmy and Shake girls. Sadly, the only thing that marred the opening night extravaganza was a few costuming mistakes. (Get Kitty's tail to stick outside her dress, for gosh sakes!) But all in all, many of the outfits were clothes any LA girl would covet. Short metallic sparkly shag dresses with go-go boots. Long slinky sex kitten numbers. Monkeys with fezes. (Don't ask.)

Let me just say that every member of this company deserves a pat on the back, as far as their dance skills. There was no one who was substandard. But some stood out more than others. Most especially to me was the guy who played the monkey ("Mr. Cuddles"), Raul Machorro. There is a moment when he slinks down the body of his owner, the Inspector, that was just exquisitely executed. To say nothing of the back flips he does in a monkey suit. Amazing to watch.

His owner, Inspector Sergay, danced by Shell Bauman was a joy to watch. The requisite love ballet that he danced was stunning.

Jeneane Grant and Shannon Grant, twins attached at the hip (who could've also been LA lesbians) did things in unison that were a joy to watch. Their two-as-one timing was impeccable.

I loved Tina Graves as Mercurochrome Head because to me she was doing a spot-on Jennifer Garner. Watch her and tell me if you don't agree.

The character coach deserves much credit, because every one of these people remained in character throughout. And they all had little touches that made them unique.

Jesse Schoem as the Coroner, for example, had this thing of planting himself in a woman's breast that I'm only too familiar with, and made this character very real.

Lastly, Patrick Barnitt and Erin Stutland gave voice to some tuneful songs whose lyrics you won't believe. They were always fun to watch, and weaved their magic throughout the show.

I also loved all the Shagette dancers. (And their costumes.)

So, do the hipster thing. Take your girl and go shag with a twist. You'll be glad you did.
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!