Sunset Junction Street Fair

Concerts and Events.

Moderator: Admin

obiwankobe

Sunset Junction Street Fair

Post by obiwankobe »

http://www.sunsetjunction.org/streetfair.htm

For those of you here in the Los Angeles area, there are two great music festivals taking place over the next couple of weekends. This coming weekend, Saturday & Sunday, August 27 & 28, is the 25th Annual Sunset Junction Street Fair, at the junction of Sunset & Santa Monica Boulevards in the Silver Lake area. In addition to over 200 booths of arts, crafts, food & games, there are three stages of live music, including scheduled performances from local favorites like Let’s Go Sailing, Run Run Run and Rilo Kiley; national acts like Black Mountain, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, and the Walkmen; and legends like John Cale, Chaka Khan and the New York Dolls.

Saturday, August 27
Edgecliffe Stage
(3700 Sunset)

Sanborn Stage
(4000 Sunset)

Bates Stage
(4100 Sunset)
1:45
Crosby Tyler

3:00
Mesmera

4:00
Bobby Matos

5:30
Alma da Battucada

6:30
Freda Payne

7:30
Former Ladies of
The Supremes

9:00
"RICHARD STREET lead
singer of THE TEMPTATIONS '71-'95"
11:00-3:00
Silverlake Conservatory of Music

Domingo Siete

4:00
Hey Will Power

5:00
Gravy Train!!!!

6:15
DJ Paul V

7:15
DJ Blow Up

8:15
DJ Mount Sims

9:15
DJ Eddie Baez
(from NY city)

12:00
The Ettes

12:45
Let's Go Sailing

1:30
Vagenius

2:15
Run Run Run

Something For Rockets

3:45
Foreign Born

4:30
Black Mountain

Jason Falkner

The Walkman

8:00
John Cale

9:30
Rilo Kiley

Sunday, August 28
Edgecliffe Stage
(3700 Sunset)

Sanborn Stage
(4000 Sunset)

Bates Stage
(4100 Sunset)
1:00
Cuahtemoc

Ritmo Flamenco

3:15
Raks Majnoun

4:15
Drums of Passion

Arthur Adams

Jody Watley

Chaka Khan

11:00-3:00
Silverlake Conservatory of
Music

3:30
Los Pinguos

4:30
DJ Sloe Poke

6:00
Dub Club DJs

7:00
Sharon Jones &
The Dap Kings

DJ Ralphi Rosario
(from Chicago)

12:00
The Willowz

12:45
Viva K

1:30
Rolling Blackouts

The Leaving Trains

Nebula

3:45
Burning Brides

4:45
The Weirdos

5:45
The Gossip

6:45
Eagles of Death Metal

7:45
Suicide Girls

8:30
The New York Dolls
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Oh wow!!!! I'm camping out for The Walkmen and the NYD!!!!!! Yay!!!! ooh, The Weirdos! I had no clue about this... so cool, thanx Tom!
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

The Dolls are playing the HOB in Spetember....Himself and I are going...

OR...go to Free Stuff on Indie and enter to win

Sunset Junction tickets
Enter to win tickets to Sunset Junction, August 27th and 28th starring the reunion of the New York Dolls, Rilo Kiley, The Walkmen, The Suicide Girls and more! http://www.sunsetjunction.org/streetfair.htm
Click here!
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
MicheBel

Vagenius

Post by MicheBel »

I frikkin LOVE Vagenius. Thank you, Mr. Shovel for introducing me to that band. I love them.

And don't forget Check One Two's favorite: the Ettes. Why aren't they BOLDED too? (ps. they rock too)

--Miche
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

KCRW been playing them for ever
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
MicheBel

music

Post by MicheBel »

The Ettes? Or Vagenius? Or both?

Hey, allz I know is that I heard them first, second and third on Mr. Shovel's Check One Two (both of them).

I give credit where I hear it first.

--Miche
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
MicheBel

Indie Saves the Day!

Post by MicheBel »

Those of you interested in attending the Sunset Junction Street Fair tomorrow, be aware of these things:

1. parking is a complete and total bitch, so allow extra time

2. it's hot as a mofo

HOWEVER

wondrous amazing Indie, in its graciousness, offered its listeners not only SHADE, blessed SHADE, but ICE! And water. MANY people took Indie up on its offer.

For me, it made the difference between making the concert bearable and going home.

oh, and

3. BRING LOTS OF SUNBLOCK

4. And a hat

5. And good walking shoes

Otherwise, you will be miserable. (I think that was one of the hottest concerts I've ever attended.)

Thank you, Mr. Shovel, for your kindness. In the true spirit of Indie!
MicheBel

Indie at Sunset Junction

Post by MicheBel »

SUNSET JUNCTION STREET FAIR--Day One
I love Indie 103 (you may've noticed). I listen to them more than any human should. I eagerly fill out all their contest giveaways on their website, and never win any. This time, I get a call: You've won tickets to Sunset Junction. Great! What's Sunset Junction?

Turns out, it's a street fair that's been going for twenty-five years in the same LA neighborhood of Silverlake. A look at the bands on the first day, a veritable Indie playlist, was enough to get me jazzed: everything from The Ettes (a Check One Two favorite) to Rilo Kiley! Great! I'm there.

So far this summer, I've been to one street fair--the Pacific Beach street fair, where I was scooped out of the crowded heat by my friend, 94.9 music director Mike Halloran (I wrote about this one in this blog earlier). So that was fun, but it was cause I was hanging with my friend, and eating lots of radio station food and drink.

This one was simply brutal. Even before arriving. The parking situation was miserable. Dealing with parking was almost enough to make me leave. As it was, it made me miss the first two bands (from all the driving around)--The Ettes and Let's Go Sailing.

So, I run into Indie 103 music director, Mark Sovel, soon after arriving and ask him which bands are good. Without blinking an eye, he says: "All of 'em." Yes, yes, of course. And to be fair to him, on that particular stage, there were some pretty darn good bands.

I head into the street fest, as the next band, Vagenius (whom I love) are setting up. It's brutally hot. All I can think about is the need to get a hat, which I'd forgotten to bring. Luckily, there are booths selling them. And on the way, I find this amazing orange juice concoction, Orange Mist, which they sell in rather phallic looking bottles. With very long straws. I scooped that up immediately. That helped to quench the thirst.

I go back to catch Vagenius. If you'd ever been in an oven, I'm sure the sensation would be similar to this. The sun is beating down mercilessly. I've lathered myself in sunblock, but it doesn't seem to be helping at all. Vagenius is great (heard them regularly on Check One Two as well, so I know most of what they played).

Run Run Run is up next. I heard them on Dicky's show earlier in the week. They are fun to see, those those crazy nuts are all dressed in black, and for god's sake, are using a SMOKE MACHINE! In the heat, it seemed absolutely insane.

I honestly think I'm gonna melt or die in a few moments. Luckily, it's about this time that brilliant music director Sovel comes up with an idea: Free Shade, courtesy of Indie. They offer the back of their stand to lovers of Indie to enjoy the music and be in the shade. Throughout the course of the afternoon, this turns into a regular party of Indie fans, with at least 100 people taking Indie up on the offer, at various times.

And to me, honestly, the free shade represented everything that is cool about Indie. How can people enjoy music when they are withering in the heat? And Indie is all about getting you to enjoy the music, first and foremost. But it was mostly the spirit of kindness which opened the tent to fans, and the spirit of kindness that kept it thriving.

There was the man, hobbling in the fair with crutches. Indie not only offered him a chair, but a box, to rest his weary bandaged foot on. The woman who came in, took the free ice that Indie was offering, then came back later for more. OK, there was also the woman who just came in to make a cell phone call, but that was rare.

Mostly, though, there were people talking about Indie. From people just sharing their love of the station, to the man who came in, asking questions about songs. Like a game. "It's about a family and their problems, kinda reggae?" "Shame and Scandal." "It says some of our friends sell records..." "Transplants--Gangsters and Thieves". "Why doesn't Indie say the songs?" Well, they are doing better with that lately.

All day long, it went like that. Past the time when people really needed shade, actually. If they said they listened to Indie, they were part of the family. That's why it was a brilliant idea. Goodwill generates goodwill back. Indie listeners watching the Indie equipment. Indie listeners shooing drunks off the Indie van.

It was a wonderful afternoon. In truth, Something for Rockets, Foreign Born, Black Mountain and Jason Falkner didn't do much for me. The Walkmen had a huge crowd and was a lot of fun. John Cale, previously of the Velvet Underground, put on an awesome set.

By the time Rilo Kiley came on, the crowds were too oppressive, and I had to leave. But Indie made the day bearable for me. Indie and all the Indie fans, I shared it with. David, who drove down from San Francisco for this, and listens on the Internet; Steve, who doesn't have a computer, and lives in Chino, so only listens when he's in LA for concerts. (I think I convinced him to get a computer so he could listen to Indie, though.)

That was what made it fun for me. I could talk all day long to people about how great Indie 103 is. And I did. So thanks, Indie: for the free shade, for the free tickets, for the music you play, but mostly for the camaraderie you generate. :up:
MicheBel

Alternate name

Post by MicheBel »

Mr. Shovel was just calling it "Sunstroke Junction." I think they really should look into changing that name, cause Sunstroke Junction is MUCH more appropriate.

They had the paramedic guys on bikes later in the day, but I'll bet people were really getting heatstroke out there. Blistering!

--M
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Goddanm it really was hot...
Jason Falkner was great...
The drummer for John Cale stole the show
The Walkmen were unbelievable on stage as always (what's with the hair?)
Front row for Rilo Kiley and I have the guitar pick to prove it! =)
-Julian Casablancas
MicheBel

Sunstroke Junction

Post by MicheBel »

Yes, indeed. That was a good day of music.

Annie, did you come by the Indie tent?

--Miche
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

No, don't think I even saw it... but I did go into a gay bar....
-Julian Casablancas