Post by lsinger9404 »

Anyone else going??
MicheBel

waves at Larry

Post by MicheBel »

ARTHURFEST
Day One
Sept. 4, 2005
Arturfest, so named for the illustrious Arthur mag, was a lot of fun on its first day. First of all, it wasn't as beastly hot as it was last weekend for Sunstroke Junction. The grounds are more of a garden-like atmosphere. The various tents for political causes were well spaced out and easy to spot. Plenty of places to find shade at this one.

And it was easy to amble from one stage to another, although the one inside the theatre is a whole ordeal in and of itself. I personally liked each and every band that I saw perform on the Pine Stage, beginning with the first band we saw perform there: Dos, a configuration of Mike Watt and his wife.

My friend Larry and I are doing both days, and our plan was to amble around from stage to stage. The Lawn Stage, where we next visited, is a very small area of grass to fit masses of people. (Should be interesting for Yoko Ono tonight.) Radar Bros., the first one we saw, was ok.

Our next venture was to try to get some food/drink. Now, the Arturfest people get big kudos for having interesting, healthy food available. Tuna and portobella and hummus. However, they get even bigger minus points for not having it ready when the doors opened. And it wasn't ready until at least 3 pm (for a festival that started at 1:30 pm. When it did finally open, the lines were unbelievable. That, waiting in line in the hot sun, was the singular most unbearable part of Arthurfest. The food was good, once procured, but jeez.

After eating, we wandered some more, and caught the tail end of Nora Keyes, whom I quite enjoyed. You could hear her operatic voice wafting even at the lunch tables.

We then made the mistake of trying to view a band in the Gallery Theater, a mistake I don't think I'll make again. There were long lines for this. When finally ensconced, the band was singularly the worst band I can ever remember viewing. Called "Circle", they performed what I refer to as "masturbation rock", meaning they played whatever they pleased, no matter that there was an audience there. As I was thinking this, I was trying hard to imagine the guys onstage actually masturbating, and thinking how much more fun that would be to watch. Also sending psychic vibes to my friend Larry, seated in front of me, to get the heck out of there, which finally worked.

We wandered around some more, half listening to pretty much non-interesting bands. Then decided to leave for our next concert. (I know, busy night!)

The headliners that we were giving up to do this were: The Black Keys, two Henry Jacobs films, Sleater-Kinney and Sonic Youth. I almost regret leaving.
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
MicheBel

ARTHURFEST Day Two

Post by MicheBel »

ARTHURFEST Day Two

It is difficult for me to write this about the day at Arthurfest without wanting to skip to the end. YOKO ONO!!!!!

The day began, once again under the hot sun, and I have the sunburnt back to prove it, at the Lawn Stage, watching Future Pigeon, whom I quite enjoyed. Horns and all. They were fun. And they have an album coming out, as they informed us about ten times.

Over the course of the festival, continuously the best bands were at the Pine Stage. So I'll just tell you the lineup there: Young Jazz Giants, Jack Rose, Marissa Nadler, Vetiver, followed by "surprise guest" who turned out to be one of the guys from the previous band's new band, and Cat Power.

I mostly caught the ones in the middle, and they were all worth listening to. After the previous experience in the Gallery Theatre, I avoided it like the plague. My friend Larry went to check out some music in there, some he even liked. Eh. I was happy in the shade outside.

The lines were shorter at the food/drink courts. Either people got wise and brought their own, or the staff had it together more. Not sure.

I can't remember which band this was, I think it was The Juan Maclean, but there was this rocking band who had this guy, just WAILING on the Theramin. It was a trip. Cause to the naked eye, it looks like he's playing air. But you can hear the sound from the movements he's making. It was a trip.

Then there was Spoon. Spoon reminded me of how great the people who pick the music that plays on Indie are. Cause the two songs that Indie plays from Spoon ("Sister Jack" and "I Turn My Camera On") are the only Spoon songs in their whole set that I liked.

I ducked out after them for a bit to check out Cat Power, who is notoriously shy and has a severe stage fright. The crowd around her was immense, and her voice was unbearably quiet, so I gave that up and went back to the main stage on the Lawn.

Yoko Ono's set began with a "movie" of John Lennon, which was a very slow time lapse of his face. I love John Lennon, but the technology seemed dated for our times.

The time around my birthday is always a reflective one for me, and this time, also very creative. It is this time of year that I like to ponder big thoughts and focus on my own place in the universe. I usually read a lot of spiritual books, and meditate. But I could not have imagined a better sign from the Universe as to what my next year should be like than the experience that was Yoko Ono.

They handed out little flashlights, with the word Onochord written on them. At the beginning of her set, the instructions were given. One: I Two: Love Three: You. Flash once for I. Flash twice for Love. Flash three times for You.

Flash this to the mountains to the skies to the Universe. It was beautiful.

Then they showed a movie about the Onochord and its travels around the world. The gist of it, and I'm paraphrasing badly: that we need to express LOVE as often as possible. Express it to people who don't want it, or don't expect it. Express it often. Carry the flashlight around with you and send people love.

It was beautiful. Then, Yoko talking about how our time reminds her of Hitler's Germany. And how it "happened so fast". "And I used to think why didn't the intellectuals do anything? Why did they just bury their heads in the sand? Well, WE ARE THE INTELLECTUALS."

With Yoko, she shoots big ideas at you without any explanation. Every word packs a wallop this way. DON'T WORRY. TRUST YOUR INTUITION. FEEL RAGE. LOVE.

I liked especially when she said that women need to heal the hearts of men. She explained this by saying that in her travels, women seemed to be more receptive to the flashlight love signal. Women would just hug her, in response. Men didn't seem to be too sure what to do with it. "They're shy," Yoko explained. "We have to open their hearts."

I love her.

When I heard her music before, it always sounded like a bunch of caterwauling. Course, I was drinking at the time, and I sure didn't get the nuance of it. But you know, I think ever since that famous bed-in, where she and John spoke of Love and Peace, not war, everything she's done has been a political statement of some sort.

Her show, then, was like a performance art piece. It began with a screen, which people were trying to burst out of. Ripping the screen. Cutting it. Sticking flailing hands through it. Trying, so desperately to get out.

Then, Yoko comes out, wearing a mask similar to those worn in the Abu Grabe prison (I know I spelled that wrong). Wearing the mask, holding out her hands, looking for guidance, where to walk. Very powerful stuff.

I can't even do justice to how amazing this experience was. Her band was incredible. She was awesome.

She did a song about a battered woman, very powerful. And now I understand where those deep Yoko-esque screams come from, from deep in her soul. An almost womblike scream. A scream that is deeply woman.

She started to do "Walking on Thin Ice". The band was grooving, she was grooving. Suddenly, she stopped, tears in her eyes, voice fraught with emotion, and said, "You killed my man, you BASTARD!" She stopped. "I really need some love right now." Many in the audience flashed their flashlights as they had been taught. For many minutes. She scanned the audience, from left to right, seemed to be taking it all in. A man, who probably was not comfortable with the flashlight, screamed out, "We love you, Yoko!" After a few minutes of taking it in, she said, "Thank you, I feel loved."

Then she walked off the stage, unable to continue that song. Her band continued, and finished it out.

After a few minutes, she did come back again. To do "Don't Worry, Yoko" (I think that's what it was called). The lyrics were mostly: "Don't Worry." She said at the beginning that she hadn't performed it since 1972. "And they said I couldn't do it!" she exulted at its end.

She also told us that she loved Arthurfest, and would be back again "next year." We can only hope. And pray. And LOVE. :-)
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
lsinger9404

Post by lsinger9404 »

Oh...but Miche..they WERE masturbating on the stage....you didn't have as good a vantage point as I did.

Or was that your vibes being broadcast to me that I was imaging they were masturbating??

Guess we'll never know.
MicheBel

that band!

Post by MicheBel »

LOL Probably both!

I'm so glad we hightailed it outta there, in any case.

(SHUDDERS)

--Miche