4) Arctic Monkeys - I bet you look good on the dance floor -

5) We are Scientists - The Scene is Dead -

6) The Raconteurs - Steady, As She Goes -

7) Morrissey - You Have Killed Me -

8) She Wants Revenge - These Things -

9) Editors - Munich -

10) Hard-Fi - Tied up too Tight
-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
biLzamo

yeah

Post by biLzamo »

i was gonna say. the whole idea of Indie being at all independent was just another marketing plot. as was pointed out in a previous post, Indie constantly plays bands that have no Independent association. so to say Indie has sold out is kind of untrue. the station was never any different, and to start hating now doesnt make sense.
"The power of the force has stopped you, you hosers."

- Doug McKenzie
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Since when are they playing Mellowdrone? I love Mellowdrone. Actually it's M e l l o w d r o n e.
"Bitches, don't you know I'm being sarcastic?!"
-Julian Casablancas
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

Sometimes I think indie is not as indie as they say they are.
robert

Post by robert »

They were more indepent when they had no djs and i didnt know what songs they were playing but i loved them.
RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

*Annie* wrote:Since when are they playing Mellowdrone? I love Mellowdrone. Actually it's M e l l o w d r o n e.
For over month, since they played at the Indie Ski Lodge. Just the one song, though - Oh My. It was #5 in their rankings last week so they play it LOTS (but not as much as PEARL JAM World Wide Suicide, MORRISSEY You Have Killed Me, SHE WANTS REVENGE These Things or GIANT DRAG Wicked Game.
I'm in shape! Round is a shape!
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

-tom

~"Let there be no conflict in America, if you bother me, I whup yo' ass."~Charles Barkley
MicheBel

Mellowdrone

Post by MicheBel »

*Annie* wrote:Since when are they playing Mellowdrone? I love Mellowdrone. Actually it's M e l l o w d r o n e.
Months now.

And they're gonna be on TK's show...today is it? In studio...

Shovel played Fashionably Uninvited on Check One Two in January.
Last edited by MicheBel on Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
obiwankobe

Re: Mellowdrone

Post by obiwankobe »

MicheBel wrote:
Months now.

-tom

robert

Post by robert »

Back in the day when a calm resided in the forum. Truly those were halcyon days
RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

robert wrote:They were more indepent when they had no djs and i didnt know what songs they were playing but i loved them.
Yeah, they had no agenda back then, just played whatever they wanted. They even played Steve Miller during the first couple of weeks. In the rotation, not just Jonesy. They didn't have much NEW music yet so they played lots of older stuff in the first month & you never heard the same song more than once a day - like - Joy Division – Transmission, X – I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts, Johnny Cash & Joe Strummer – Redemption Song, Smiths – Clash – Hitsville UK, Public Enemy – Rebel Without A Pause, Beastie Boys – Shadrach, Stone Roses – Love Spreads, Interpol – PDA, Stranglers - Peaches, X-Ray Spex - Oh Bondage! Up Yours!, Iggy Pop - Loco Mosquito, Buzzcocks - Paradise, Killing Joke - Seeing Red, Nick Cave - Into My Arms, Descendents - Nothing With You, Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster, HUSKER DU - Could You Be The One? It was 8)
Last edited by RobertKP on Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MicheBel

calm

Post by MicheBel »

There was calm in the forum?

(Hope you guys like that fly picture...) :)
Loving ALL of Indie's shows, especially the guys they've been having in the morning!
robert

Re: calm

Post by robert »

MicheBel wrote:There was calm in the forum?
Well as calm as an opionion based forum can get, but that was back in the day right after our jump off Yahoo Groups. Although those werent calm at all.
MicheBel

fly speak

Post by MicheBel »

Yeah, I was gonna say. We've always been a vehement little group.
LATaurus

Re: Mellowdrone

Post by LATaurus »

obiwankobe wrote:
MicheBel wrote:
Months now.

bump
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

This is in reply to this post and the one that Tom linked where he went on about "indie" bands.

Here's the only problem I have with Indie. They lack variety... the regular playlist is repetitive and not so great to begin with (as far as my taste goes). It stays the same way too long. I also think they're pretty slow... I mean, sure they "break" a lot of stuff before KROQ, but that's not saying a whole lot because KROQ's not the best yardstick to be measured by. I mean, for example, Mellowdrone.... not exactly brand new, anyone whose really into "Indie" music has already heard it... and some jerk is probably over it and listening to something new. In my opinion minor changes are only needed to improve the station into something that to me would sound better.
The shows on Indie like Feel My Heat and Passport Approved are awesome and they are breaking stuff pretty early.. I mean, they're right up there with KCRW... I just wish some of that stuff would get picked up on rotation. I don't want to hear the same song more than 2 times a day... that's boring.
But, in all fairness blaming the station for the fact that the term "Indie music" has lost all meaning makes no sense. Indie doesn't mean the same thing it used to in the 90's or even early 2000. I remember when some of the bands we see on MTV now were on Indie labels, which is what Indie used to mean (not that they weren't signed). So the media caught on to the music and the band got signed.... now they're not Indie? Should we call them Alternative rock? Sure, they've always been the same thing. Indie took the place of Alternative. The difference between the 2 is slight. That said, like anything good it died once it got public attention. The scene is nearly dead. Indie isn't what it used to be... and it'll never be again. So the word "Indie" used to mean Independent but it hasn't for a loooong time, it now describes more of a variety of sounds, images and even stage antics... it's almost up for interpretation. It has nothing to do with the station, this has been the case for a while now. Indie 103 came along at the decline and/or climax (depending on what side you were watching from).
I blame The Strokes, they did to Indie what Nirvana did to Grunge. Lets all hate them now. It happens. Also, people need to stop blaming bands for "selling out." You think they make music to live in a one bedroom?
Whatever, Indie 103 is still a good station and the cause is noble. If we're all so afraid of control over the airwaves then we should stop trying to control the airwaves! All the talk about big corporations is old too, it should really be about the music and the bands not record companies. So listen to whatever you want to listen to. A station has hundreds of listeners and you could never please everyone. Music taste is subjective, if we all liked the same thing, that would be very dull.
I'm not going to say anything else about it, I just wish people wouldn't be such control freaks over music and genres and all that crap.
-Julian Casablancas
robert

Post by robert »

Good rant Annie. Personal opinion: Indie is a style, not based on a lack of a record contract.
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

robert wrote:Good rant Annie. Personal opinion: Indie is a style, not based on a lack of a record contract.
hmm...

- Doug McKenzie
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

the regular playlist has become very a little repeatative. but the different shows bring a lot of musical variety, so it has that college station feel because of all the personalities. like double that from Kroq, and the people seem much more genuine and have credentials in music outside of the radio station. i think the kroq djs are mostly posers.

you guys bag on tk, but he doesnt seem that bad, he started low and got to work his way up.

i thought the comparison to stryker was friigolly hilarious.

- Doug McKenzie
robert

Post by robert »

I know that many will disagree, and i am sure that he is a nice person, but he does alot of the same that he bags on other DJs for. The one thing that i never liked TK for was rippin on KROQ. Professionally i dont want to hear it. It is one thing if we do it here, but he should play the music that makes them better and let us do the dirty work.
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

I like TK. He can sound pretty cheesy at times, but I suppose if his energy was as low as Jonesy's I might fall asleep. He's a gool guy and comparing him to Stryker seems easy to do, but if you really think about it, there is no comparison. Stryker's loud radio personality antics sound so fictional and forced. All that ever comes out if his mouth is "me, me, me" That guy's head is huge. "I was hanging out with the guys from 311 last night...." Name dropping should be punishable by law. He's a jerk. TK's just a guy having fun playing music and it comes accross. He's a really nice guy.
-Julian Casablancas
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

I think t.k is cool.

He has a good radio voice, easy to listen to and as Annie said dosen't sound like forced humor.

Everyday is a bad hair day for t.k.
MicheBel

TK vs. Stryker

Post by MicheBel »

TK is totally cool. And I dig his hair! :wink:

And he's REAL. That's not my impression of Stryker.
obiwankobe

Re: TK vs. Stryker

Post by obiwankobe »

MicheBel wrote:TK is totally cool. And I dig his hair! :wink:

And he's REAL. That's not my impression of Stryker.
-tom

rotter

Post by rotter »

aaaaaaaahahhaaaaaaaaa...... :lol:
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

yah, i have to agree that TK does come across as somewhat genuine. he comes across as being somewhat down to earth.

- Doug McKenzie
jr

Post by jr »

he has an awesome job
i would be "stoked" too
12 bellz... YOU DO UNDERSTAND??!!
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

yeah, some people call it "kissing ass", i think it's just being nice and friendly.

- Doug McKenzie
MicheBel

Post from TK himself

Post by MicheBel »

Sorry, he wanted it taken down...
Last edited by MicheBel on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*Annie*

Re: Post from TK himself

Post by *Annie* »

MicheBel wrote:Sorry, he wanted it taken down...
Sarcasm??? I didn't get it. I hope TK's not that sensitive. Did I come accross as negative? And I think Bilzamo was actually defending TK.
Anyhow.... I think if anyone here didn't like the station we wouldn't listen and post about it. It's a forum dedicated to Indie103 for god's sake.

Oh and Miche, did you personally send this out to him?
Last edited by *Annie* on Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Julian Casablancas
MicheBel

the response

Post by MicheBel »

Yes, I sent him the link to this page.

This was his response, and he asked me to post it for him. I guess he didn't wanna become a member...

(Oh, and Annie, you might not have noticed this, but there are PLENTY here who are not liking Indie this week...)

--Miche
obiwankobe

Re: the response

Post by obiwankobe »

MicheBel wrote:Yes, I sent him the link to this page.

This was his response, and he asked me to post it for him. I guess he didn't wanna become a member...

(Oh, and Annie, you might not have noticed this, but there are PLENTY here who are not liking Indie this week...)

--Miche
-tom

MicheBel

LOL

Post by MicheBel »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You crack me up. hahahahahaha

--Miche
gidgetgoestohell

Post by gidgetgoestohell »

Gee Tom...and I bet that was exactly the effect that you were hoping for eh? I, for one, cannot wait for that ignore option......
Gidge

~I came for Jonsey. I stayed for the MMS. Now that Dicky is gone, so am I~
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

*Annie* wrote:I like TK. He can sound pretty cheesy at times, but I suppose if his energy was as low as Jonesy's I might fall asleep.
Well, it's TK's cheesy Stryker-like radio voice and personality that inspire me to change the station on the drive home from work. Thank God, I live close. I'd rather just listen to the music without his talking in between.
Annie wrote:"I was hanging out with the guys from 311 last night...." Name dropping should be punishable by law
Jesus, woman! Did you even read my post?! That was my entire point of hating TK. Well, one reason anyway. I'm so sick of hearing about who came onto his show yesterday, or who he met over the weekend. What he doesn't tell you, is who he had to blow to meet the actual celebrity.

Hey, look at that. I got my whole point across without cussing once. Boom goes the dynamite, my friends.
Alone we stand, together we fall apart.

*sireofwilshire*
jr

Post by jr »

i think that TK is genuinely excited to meet these people. he comes across as genuine... i dont know.. i like it. if i had that job i would be bouncing off walls too..
im pissed at morning show fuck up... but other than that... i like indie.
i wont apologize.
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

WARNING ALL POSTERS

Miche is a cunt and snitches to both Jack and now t.k.

What a a filthy slimey CRAWLER.

She prpbably sent t.k some ass licking cookies too.

:o :lol:
rotter

Post by rotter »

She leaves cunt tracks in the dirt like a snail..... :lol:
Glenn

Post by Glenn »

:o :lol:
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

assholitis wrote:
*Annie* wrote:I like TK. He can sound pretty cheesy at times, but I suppose if his energy was as low as Jonesy's I might fall asleep.
Well, it's TK's cheesy Stryker-like radio voice and personality that inspire me to change the station on the drive home from work. Thank God, I live close. I'd rather just listen to the music without his talking in between.
Annie wrote:"I was hanging out with the guys from 311 last night...." Name dropping should be punishable by law
Jesus, woman! Did you even read my post?! That was my entire point of hating TK. Well, one reason anyway. I'm so sick of hearing about who came onto his show yesterday, or who he met over the weekend. What he doesn't tell you, is who he had to blow to meet the actual celebrity.

Hey, look at that. I got my whole point across without cussing once. Boom goes the dynamite, my friends.
I agree with JR and Kevin, I guess I missed your post. I didn't say TK was cheesy, I said he sometimes comes accross that way, but hey, it's radio! Go listen to Stryker Kevin, he plays tons of Deftones, oh and he probaly "parties" with them too! Maybe Stryker will pick up on your lame dynamite catch phrase and use it on the air!
-Julian Casablancas
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

*Annie* wrote:I agree with JR and Kevin, I guess I missed your post. I didn't say TK was cheesy, I said he sometimes comes accross that way, but hey, it's radio! Go listen to Stryker Kevin, he plays tons of Deftones, oh and he probaly "parties" with them too! Maybe Stryker will pick up on your lame dynamite catch phrase and use it on the air!
I agree, Stryker is cheesy and lame. But why is TK any different? How is it so much different when Stryker goes on and on about hanging out with Snoop Dogg then when TK goes on and on about Run-DMC? I'm not saying Stryker is a good DJ, I'm just saying TK is no better. But I guess you don't like Stryker for refusuing to play The Lashes. :cry: But hey, go request to be Stryker's friend on MySpace. He knows Julian Casablancas and even has a picture with him! If you hurry, you can go and comment on it.

Bet you think he's like the best DJ ever now, huh? :lol:

*sireofwilshire*
jr

Post by jr »

i just like TK. I dont even know who stryker is ... I dont listen to KROQ anymore. I never really listened for their on air personalities anyway (except Rodney - when he was on at a decent hour) the thing that made me switch to INDIE was Jonesy and then i got all caught up in the cool different shows that make it unique. so now i listen to headtrips and passport... etc...
but KROQ never really had that type of cool format... and now they blow.
So, why are we equating TK and Stryker?? because they are both young, fun and have the job that I would kill for?? ok. so they both suck... and yes i am jealous as hell!!! lol (just kidding)
MicheBel

Stryker

Post by MicheBel »

assholitis wrote:
*Annie* wrote:I agree with JR and Kevin, I guess I missed your post. I didn't say TK was cheesy, I said he sometimes comes accross that way, but hey, it's radio! Go listen to Stryker Kevin, he plays tons of Deftones, oh and he probaly "parties" with them too! Maybe Stryker will pick up on your lame dynamite catch phrase and use it on the air!
I agree, Stryker is cheesy and lame. But why is TK any different? How is it so much different when Stryker goes on and on about hanging out with Snoop Dogg then when TK goes on and on about Run-DMC? I'm not saying Stryker is a good DJ, I'm just saying TK is no better. But I guess you don't like Stryker for refusuing to play The Lashes. :cry: But hey, go request to be Stryker's friend on MySpace. He knows Julian Casablancas and even has a picture with him! If you hurry, you can go and comment on it.

Hey, which one is Stryker? Those boys are CUTE! :wink:
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

I was wondering where Julian got his style and personality from!

assholitis wrote:

- Doug McKenzie
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

biLzamo wrote:I was wondering where Julian got his style and personality from!

assholitis wrote:

Haha. Yeah, or did the Strokes steal it from Stryker? It's like the chicken and the egg, my friend.

*sireofwilshire*
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

Oh my god... that picture is so annoying... I can't believe he posed with Stryker.
assholitis wrote:
*Annie* wrote:
I agree with JR and Kevin, I guess I missed your post. I didn't say TK was cheesy, I said he sometimes comes accross that way, but hey, it's radio! Go listen to Stryker Kevin, he plays tons of Deftones, oh and he probaly "parties" with them too! Maybe Stryker will pick up on your lame dynamite catch phrase and use it on the air!

I agree, Stryker is cheesy and lame. But why is TK any different? How is it so much different when Stryker goes on and on about hanging out with Snoop Dogg then when TK goes on and on about Run-DMC? I'm not saying Stryker is a good DJ, I'm just saying TK is no better.

The difference, is just the way jr put it, TK's just excited about the music and the artist, Stryker just likes bragging.
-Julian Casablancas
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

*Annie* wrote:The difference, is just the way jr put it, TK's just excited about the music and the artist, Stryker just likes bragging.
I don't believe that's necessarily true. I've met Stryker and he's actually a pretty decent guy who genuinely cares about the listeners. I think he's just been molded to be the sort of typical, corporate radio DJ personality. But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Or agree that I'm right.

*sireofwilshire*
LALALA

Post by LALALA »

Corporate Djs are corporate Djs. Indie is no better than KROQ at this juncture when it comes to their affiliations. Change the names, change the call letters and at the end of the day, the two are interchangable.
MicheBel

funny

Post by MicheBel »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

They should just title the hours between 3 to 6 as, TK Seacrest for the Afternoon Drive Home.

*sireofwilshire*
obiwankobe

Re: funny

Post by obiwankobe »

MicheBel wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-tom

assholitis

Post by assholitis »

They should just title the hours between 3 to 6 as, TK Seacrest for the Afternoon Drive Home.

*sireofwilshire*
*Annie*

Post by *Annie* »

STOP WHINING AND GO LISTEN TO KROQ!
-Julian Casablancas
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

i actually have two radios in my car. and when i turn on both kroq and indie at the same time, it plays like stereo.

- Doug McKenzie
LATaurus

Post by LATaurus »

:lol:
biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

ive been listening to GLENN FM

- Doug McKenzie
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

*Annie* wrote:STOP WHINING AND GO LISTEN TO KROQ!
Let me put it this way, Annie. Miche is on your side. 'Nuff said.

*sireofwilshire*
jr

Post by jr »

it all comes down to personal preference....
TK plays good music and is excited about the musicians he "hangs with"
Stryker (whoever that is) play SHIT and is excited about the musicians he sucks OOPSY... "hangs with"...
soo go listen to KROQ ... i like indie music.
ANd I like TK - EXCEPT when he calls that dude a BRA in the commercial that they keep playing ...that just sucks.
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

jr wrote:it all comes down to personal preference....
TK plays good music and is excited about the musicians he "hangs with"
Stryker (whoever that is) play SHIT and is excited about the musicians he sucks OOPSY... "hangs with"...
soo go listen to KROQ ... i like indie music.
ANd I like TK - EXCEPT when he calls that dude a BRA in the commercial that they keep playing ...that just sucks.
TK plays what Steele tells him to play. Stryker plays what his boss tells him to. The only difference is Indie is pushing independent/alternative/punk bands, and KROQ is pushing mainstream, corporate rock. They're both just puppets on a string. I'm not saying I'm going to listen to KROQ and Stryker, I'm just saying TK is no better. So people need to stop kissing TK's ass and realize he's Stryker in disguise, just on a different station.

Believe me, if Steele decided to switch formats to disco, TK would grow out his mohawk into a 70s afro and spin It's Raining Men.

Jonesy is the man that can because he plays WHAT he wants, WHEN he wants and he's too god damn popular for Steele to yank off the air and sweep under a rug like a certain morning show.

*sireofwilshire*
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

assholitis wrote: Believe me, if Steele decided to switch formats to disco, TK would grow out his mohawk into a 70s afro and spin It's Raining Men.
HALLELUJAH!!!
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
LALALA

Post by LALALA »

Amen Assholitis! Praise the Lord brotha!
Nancy was a groupie, never trust a junkie! Not even one in recovery!
jr

Post by jr »

um... thats what i meant
i like the indie music
i dont like the KROQ music
TK is fine...
blah
blah
blah

delete me
i dont care anymore

fuck this
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Hmmm...I don't remember those lyrics in "Its Raining Men."
LALALA wrote:Amen Assholitis! Praise the Lord brotha!
~Gooch

"Librarians are the secret masters of the world. They control information. Don't ever piss one off..."
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

Gooch wrote:Hmmm...I don't remember those lyrics in "Its Raining Men."
It's the Pharrell remix.

*sireofwilshire*
Gooch

Post by Gooch »

Hahaha!!!
assholitis wrote:
Gooch wrote:Hmmm...I don't remember those lyrics in "Its Raining Men."
It's the Pharrell remix.
~Gooch

TK

assholitis

Post by TK »

ASSHOLITIS is Strykers friend. Comparing me to Seacrest is something I am compared Stryker to. Nice try dude. Hating him, hating me, loving him. Your string makes no sense.

Truth is his corps said be more like Indie in the afternoon. It seems to be "really winning." Sound like Indie. Spinning that is laughable.

ASSHOLE is a another KROQ plant "including the stryker picture."
They hope you are confused.

Stryker trying to get more exposure thru Indie staged.com, don't be fooled. Trying to nail the TRL spot, TV, anything? 37 year old?

I suck yes!, come off excited "cheezy" maybe, I like what we are doing people wise, music wise and band wise.

We break great music and play what they can't. Love what we are doing for radio in LA.

Enjoy your day.

p.s. I liked Dicky personally, he was alway nice to me.
OneOldPunk

Post by OneOldPunk »

TK or Stryker? I don't really give a shit if they are similar. I don't really listen to either show. They both fill a time slot that requires them to play the music they do. Just like Native Wayne on Sundays. A reggae show has always been on Sunday evening. That is what the audience wants at that time. His show would bomb at any other time. TK and Stryker both fill the niches in which they were assigned. Morning radio is supossed to be edgie to get your attention, and entertain you while driving to work. A little comedy, a little music. Dicky filled that niche perfectly. TK and Stryker's shows do the same, they play what suits the listeners at that particular time slot. All radio personalities name drop. They meet so many people that we wish we could meet. If they didn't hang with the bands they would have no insight to who they were playing, and what they are actually like. Don't blame TK or Stryker for doing their jobs. They both seem to do it well for their station or they would not be there. Bottom line, Indie fired Dicky for no good reason.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

But that is just my take on the situation, and is open to debate.
I feel all itchy!
gidgetgoestohell

Re: assholitis

TK wrote:ASSHOLITIS is Strykers friend. Comparing me to Seacrest is something I am compared Stryker to. Nice try dude. Hating him, hating me, loving him. Your string makes no sense.

Truth is his corps said be more like Indie in the afternoon. It seems to be "really winning." Sound like Indie. Spinning that is laughable.

Stryker trying to get more exposure thru Indie staged.com, don't be fooled. Trying to nail the TRL spot, TV, anything? 37 year old?

I suck yes!, come off excited "cheezy" maybe, I like what we are doing people wise, music wise and band wise.

We break great music and play what they can't. Love what we are doing for radio in LA.

Enjoy your day.

Nice of you to come in and attack one of our nicest members...Good way to start off here...Although I am sure that this post is an anomaly and will never be repeated....

Kev is no more a KROQ plant than I am...I started to listen to KROQ when I was in high school...ninth grade to be exact, 1977...you do the math and figure out which one of us would be the more likely choice for a YOU ARE A KROQ PLANT accusation.... I still have fond memories of the old KROQ and refused to succumb to pressure to change my opinion by one person who wasn't even HERE in California when the station rocked or knew who Rodney Bingenheimer was until a few months ago...Tom also supports KROQ...so, if you are going to point your finger...at least point it in the right direction...Not to mention that we DO have two KROQ spies here...DUH.... their screen names say as much....

Kev used to love the station as much as anybody here...I am not going to say whether or not he still does because I do not know.... I haven't asked him...maybe you might want to do so and find out where his heart is currently and why instead of dismissing his opinions because you are butt sore....

Until I saw this post...I really had no opinion one way or another about you....I stopped listening to Indie on the way home long ago because I didn't like the whole pre-programmed feel of the show...that was not intended as a slam against you...just my own personal opinion...Now...You couldn't PAY me to listen to your show.....Way to go Indie....first crappy messages to The Adolescents....with THREATS, Imight add...inuendo laced emails to me from Indie and now this attack on another listener....WAY TO GO BOYS AND GIRLS...WAY TO GO.....

And Oopsie...I agree....pap is pap...no matter what the packaging looks like....as Tony would say...if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it's a fucking DUCK....
Gidge

rotter

Post by rotter »

You all make duck noises when you fuck :P
obiwankobe

Post by obiwankobe »

I don't necessarily support them, I just try to defend them from the occasional Jihad directed at them. Also try to alay some of the broad generalizations that get thrown around too.
-tom

gidgetgoestohell

Sorry Tom...I didn't mean to put words into your mouth...what I meant was that both you and I have great memories of the station and we cherish those memories....at least I think that is how you feel....;)
Gidge

RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

OneOldPunk wrote:TK or Stryker? I don't really give a shit if they are similar. I don't really listen to either show. They both fill a time slot that requires them to play the music they do. Just like Native Wayne on Sundays. A reggae show has always been on Sunday evening. That is what the audience wants at that time. His show would bomb at any other time. TK and Stryker both fill the niches in which they were assigned. Morning radio is supossed to be edgie to get your attention, and entertain you while driving to work. A little comedy, a little music. Dicky filled that niche perfectly. TK and Stryker's shows do the same, they play what suits the listeners at that particular time slot. All radio personalities name drop. They meet so many people that we wish we could meet. If they didn't hang with the bands they would have no insight to who they were playing, and what they are actually like. Don't blame TK or Stryker for doing their jobs. They both seem to do it well for their station or they would not be there. Bottom line, Indie fired Dicky for no good reason.
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

But that is just my take on the situation, and is open to debate.
Makes total sense to me. If you are following a musical format or playlist, then the personality doesn't matter that much. I've listened to both & I prefer TK. Not saying anything against Stryker, it's just my preference.
Just don't tell me what I'm supposed to be listening to on Thursdays nights cos I'm booked - Generation Death on the Space (KSPC).
RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:
TK wrote:ASSHOLITIS is Strykers friend. Comparing me to Seacrest is something I am compared Stryker to. Nice try dude. Hating him, hating me, loving him. Your string makes no sense.

Enjoy your day.

Nice of you to come in and attack one of our nicest members...Good way to start off here...Although I am sure that this post is an anomaly and will never be repeated....

Kev is no more a KROQ plant than I am...I started to listen to KROQ when I was in high school...ninth grade to be exact, 1977...you do the math and figure out which one of us would be the more likely choice for a YOU ARE A KROQ PLANT accusation.... I still have fond memories of the old KROQ and refused to succumb to pressure to change my opinion by one person who wasn't even HERE in California when the station rocked or knew who Rodney Bingenheimer was until a few months ago...Tom also supports KROQ...so, if you are going to point your finger...at least point it in the right direction...Not to mention that we DO have two KROQ spies here...DUH.... their screen names say as much....

Kev used to love the station as much as anybody here...I am not going to say whether or not he still does because I do not know.... I haven't asked him...maybe you might want to do so and find out where his heart is currently and why instead of dismissing his opinions because you are butt sore....

Until I saw this post...I really had no opinion one way or another about you....I stopped listening to Indie on the way home long ago because I didn't like the whole pre-programmed feel of the show...that was not intended as a slam against you...just my own personal opinion...Now...You couldn't PAY me to listen to your show.....Way to go Indie....first crappy messages to The Adolescents....with THREATS, Imight add...inuendo laced emails to me from Indie and now this attack on another listener....WAY TO GO BOYS AND GIRLS...WAY TO GO.....

And Oopsie...I agree....pap is pap...no matter what the packaging looks like....as Tony would say...if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...it's a fucking DUCK....
Please don't take this wrong, Gidge. I know how you feel about Indie & I respect your decision not to listen anymore. I'm fine & dandy with it. Whoever that poster actually is, I agree he was totally out of line to come after Kev like that. I just thought I would mention that anyone could register on this forum as TK. It's not as if anyone has to show ID to come aboard. I know you assume that everyone at Indie is a jerk but it is entirely possible that this is just some poser/loser who wants attention & thinks claimimg to be "TK" is the way to do it. We have already seen examples of what some people will do to draw attention to themselves, even negative attention. And if it really was "the real TK', you probably skerred him enough, he won't come back.
gidgetgoestohell

I appreciate your comments as well Robert....I have received some interesting things on MySpace directly from Indie...saying not very favorable things about Dicky as well as questioning not only my intelligence but Tony Reflex's as well...he has received emails from the Indie MySpace that were threatening in nature...so would it surprise me that this were the 'real" TK??? Nope....his tone is strangely similar to those that I have received elsewhere....

If in fact that was an IMP...I appologize to TK....if not...he can kiss my green Irish ass....;)
Gidge

RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

You may be right. I've exchanged e-mail in the past with TK, Chuck, Shovel & Christian B among others since I've had my Indie website & they were always helpful & pleasant. I can still give them the benefit of the doubt. I can see some people at Indie attacking you & others that they see as enemies. I just don't see the logic in someone like TK taking the risk of alienating all the still loyal listeners on this board by going after Kev for simply expressing his opinion. Of course, I could be wrong! If it was TK, I hope he reads this & realizes that insulting the members of this board will only result in driving more listeners away form Indie. Knock KROQ if you want but don't knock any of us if we still have some fond memories of the ROQ.
On a personal note, I'm still hoping to see that green Irish ass someday :mrgreen:
gidgetgoestohell

If that WAS TK....he has lost one more listener....I haven't even snuck a Jonsey's Jukebox in because of my resolve to boycott....and I agree with you...I am free game because of my aforementioned and out spoken boycott....I also think that Kev made some valid points in his previous post(s) and he is entitled to his opinion...as is everyone else here...even SHE WHO HAS NO NAME....it's one thing to defend yourself...but quite another to accuse somebody of being a plant by the competition....it's insulting as well....

What bothers me the most about what Indie has been doing and saying is discounting opinions that are not in lock step with SWHNN.....to demand that we all buy the load of crap that they are shoveling (pun intended) out is ludicrious....the reason that we all listen to independent radio is because the programming is or should be different than what already exists....The other thing is that anybody or any station that is aligned with SWHNN is suspect in my book.....

Although TK does play some DKs and Bad Religion and assorted other "indie" bands...I have noticed that they are always the SAME songs....the only X Ray Specs song that is played is Oh Bondage, Up Yours, for example....while it's great to hear....it gets boring when I know that there are multiple other songs by the band that I enjoy....I am so burnt out on that song it isn't even funny...or Holiday in Cambodia...even Alternative Ulster my SLF...(you can go and look at that link that Tom posted over a year ago when I said the same thing..a year later....nothing has changed now that we no longer have the MMS).....

As for the green Irish ass...it can be arranged...;)
Gidge

RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

Maybe for my next birthday. It will be the big 50 so I should do something special :wink: :wink:
gidgetgoestohell

Ooooo....I can probably work in some Jule's rackage and some Goochie Snoopy Dance for ya too...cuz we are tight like that.... :lol:
Gidge

July Cleaver

Post by July Cleaver »

Choreographing as I type... When's the bash Robert??
...and then at the end of the letter I like to write "P.S. - this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were eliminated.-- Mitch Hedberg
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

I'm no more Stryker's friend than I am your friend. I think you're both promoting the same, stagnant radio personalities that were started by people like Rick Dees. How does my string make no sense? I said you both are equally terrible DJs and just puppets of what your bosses tell you to play. The only difference is the music you're being forced to play. Stryker's boss tells him to play mainstream shit like Linkin Park and Avenged Sevenfold; Steele tells you to play indie artists like Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. But much like KROQ, you play the SAME song by a particular artist over...and over...and over again until eveyrone is sick of it. You completely run the song into the ground, and also much like KROQ, you often fail to play any other songs by an artist. You just stick with the one single ad nauseum.
TK wrote:ASSHOLE is a another KROQ plant "including the stryker picture."
Nice try on your part, however, I've been a part of this group and the original Yahoo Indie group (the one you disbanded) long before it took you the balls to actually sign up for a membership. It only took you over an entire year since its inception to get here. Way to go. Check the memberlist and see how long ago Chuck P signed up. It's nice to know there's actually good, credible DJs on Indie and you don't speak for them. Attacking my identity or credibility will get you absoloutely nowhere, although, I have my doubts that this is even TK. I'd hope that even TK would have a bit more common sense and dignity than this. Prove me wrong. :D
TK wrote:Stryker trying to get more exposure thru Indie staged.com, don't be fooled. Trying to nail the TRL spot, TV, anything? 37 year old?
Why do you always find the need to bring up Stryker's age? Insecurity regarding your own poor aging? See, that's the thing. I don't like Stryker any better than you, but I don't see why you feel the need to constantly slag him off. And this is not me sticking up for Stryker or showing how I like Stryker, it's simply me saying that you're no better. Therefore, you don't have much room to talk. It's like My Chemical Romance talking shit about Fallout Boy. If you take a step back, you'd realize they are both toilet. So my advice to you is to just let your music and your station speak for themselves. If Indie is so great, you don't need to insult KROQ and Stryker. Quit focusing on the competition, and work on making your own station better. Like playing something besides that God damn Morrissey song again.
TK wrote:I suck yes!
At least we agree on something.
TK wrote:We break great music and play what they can't.
See, that's not necessarily true. That's what a few people here tried to argue, but really, when was the last time YOU personally "broke" great new music? I agree that Indie, in general, is responsible for breaking a lot of great new artists in the last two years. I owe that to people like Shovel on Check One...Two, Chuck P on Dead Air, Steve Jones, etc. However, you're usually the guy who plays the bands AFTER they have already been discovered by another DJ and put into rotation. Your job is to take the song and make people sick of it by playing it repeatedly at the same times every day. You're like KROQ in that sense. You take credit for what other people have worked hard on discovering and introduced and then proceed to play it in heavy rotation.

So there you have it. I don't hate Stryker, I don't hate you. It's nothing personal. From what I've heard, you're both guys who genuinely love music and care about the fans who listen to your respective stations. And in that regard, I respect you both. I personally just dislike the way both of you come off as DJs. And I don't think either of you really has the right to insult the other when basically, you're practicing the same played out, generic, disc jockey methods.
TK wrote:p.s. I liked Dicky personally, he was alway nice to me.
Ditto. He seemed like a great guy and played MANY songs on his show that cannot be heard anywhere else (particularly that early :wink: ). However, this has nothing to do with my feelings toward Dicky. I have no doubt you had absoloutely no part in his firing, and my recent postings have nothing to do with that matter. In my opinion, and from what I've heard, it was Steele's decision among others. And to be honest, it didn't even upset me as much to see the show cancelled as to see the way the station handled it. I definitely lost a lot of respect that day. With shady moves like that, the line between Indie and KROQ becomes that much more blurred.
Last edited by assholitis on Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

*sireofwilshire*
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

gidgetgoestohell wrote:Kev used to love the station as much as anybody here...I am not going to say whether or not he still does because I do not know.... I haven't asked him...maybe you might want to do so and find out where his heart is currently and why instead of dismissing his opinions because you are butt sore....
Hey, thanks, Gidge! A lot of people seem to be speaking for me lately and just assume that I've shunned Indie altogether after the Mighty Morning Show incident. Not even remotely true. Yes, I disagreed with the station's decision to axe the show, and yet, I would have still supported it 100%. It was the underhanded way they dealt with it, and particularly the shitty way they treated the fans in not telling them until much later, or giving an explanation. However, there are far too many things about Indie which I refuse to give up. I think even if the entire station took a dive and started playing 22 hours of Panic! at the Disco, I would still tune in for 2 hours a day, 5 days a week to Jonesy's Jukebox. Furthermore, I love Feel My Heat, Complete Control, Dead Air, Check One...Two, Camp Freddy, and when I can catch it, The Spookshow International (although I heard it's on hiatus?). Even Suicide Girls Radio, which I was initially hesistant about, has turned out to be a pleasant listen when I tune in from time to time. And finally, I love the music that Indie plays, from the old punk to the new artists. HOWEVER, I wish they would add a little variety and focus on playing more new artists rather than repeated plays of the same song.
After work on the drive home, since I do not have a working CD player in my car, I will probably do what I always do. I'll listen to Indie during the songs, especially Paul V.'s Mashup of the day (yet another GREAT DJ at Indie) and then probably switch channels as soon as TK comes on. This in no way reflects TK's comments today, but rather, my growing boredom with his routine DJ personality. Fortunately, I only live about 15 minutes from home. :D

*sireofwilshire*
assholitis

Post by assholitis »

obiwankobe wrote:I don't necessarily support them, I just try to defend them from the occasional Jihad directed at them. Also try to alay some of the broad generalizations that get thrown around too.
Right on, Tom. That's how I feel as well. I hate to bring it back to political terms (since I really don't follow too closely), but it's kind of like the Liberal party's constant slagging of George W. Bush. Overall, the Liberals are right, but at some point, it just gets played out and monotonous. Yes, George Bush is an idiot and he sucks. WE GET IT! Pretty soon you're just as sick and fed up with one party's bullshit as you are with the next's.

*sireofwilshire*
Stuartmm

:-)

Post by Stuartmm »

Star 98.7 just flipped formats. "Todays music alternative"
Maybe Indie is not even attempting to be KROQ-lits any more but Star-lite

http://star987.com Check the just played list. its like afternoons on 103.1

i just read it described as "Think KROQ with a bit of Channel 103.1 thrown in."

Also http://www.radio-info.com/mods/board?Po ... losangeles
assholitis

Re: :-)

Post by assholitis »

Stuartmm wrote:Star 98.7 just flipped formats. "Todays music alternative"

Haha@Channel 103.1 thrown in. Yikes. I've always thought of Star as being KROQ and KIIS. I guess Fallout Boy gives them edge now. I knew there was something to my TK = Seacrest statement.

Thanks for the news, Stu. I hadn't heard about the format switch. As the first guy points out, though, the playlist reads a lot like the old Star. I wonder if there will be more drastic changes to come.

*sireofwilshire*
RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

Not much of a flip, more like just digging back into their archives a bit.
I agree, more like early Star 987. The new artists that they are pushing still read like the VH1 top 20 countdown. They just want you to think that artists like James Blunt, Natasha Bedinfield & Nickleback are "Today's musical alternative". I don't think so. Still, I never mind hearing a little Sarah McLachlan.
RobertKP

Post by RobertKP »

July Cleaver wrote:Choreographing as I type... When's the bash Robert??
Not until November. Gives me a few months to get into better shape so my heart can stand that much excitement :lol:
obiwankobe

Re: :-)

Post by obiwankobe »

Stuartmm wrote:Star 98.7 just flipped formats. "Todays music alternative"

intresting, looks like the local stations up here B95.1 & Live 105.5
-tom

biLzamo

Post by biLzamo »

Real cutting edge music is in the clubs and stuff (which i never go), so mysecond alternative is to listen to the radio when i can. and if the stations always play the same thing, i feel like i am wasting my time listening especially when im not into the particular song.

but i think that is totally true, even though Indie set itself up as the counter-Kroq, they did set up their structure almost exactly the same, but just plugged in different but similar personalities. the afternoon programming being geared for kids coming home from school? hey its all good, id rather appeal to kids myself then to adults, cuz adults just like something because somebody else liked it and they copy them.

- Doug McKenzie